Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Bigney
United States
Alexandria Bay
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bronwyn took the Khind, as she almost always does, and Mark took the Vulca because he hadn't played them in a while.

Bronwyn began by declaring in Fire, which made Mark think he had the upper hand. Half of the Cool Gang was overcome because Mark had just the cards he needed (ones with odd printed values). Bronwyn replied with a couple of the Top Gang. Thinking he could outlast her, Mark did not retreat. Bronwyn was able to get 3 of the Top Gang out at once; more importantly, she had TopNotch, which allowed her to discard an active booster/support. Mark figured she didn't have a fourth Top Gang member in hand, so he played the Vulca 3 fire support card to get up to 7 fire. Bronwyn played a fourth Top Gang, discarded the support card, and announced 8 fire. First fight over, two dragons for Bronwyn.
With two of his precious support/booster cards discarded by Top Notch, Mark was in poor shape. He started another fight in fire, hoping to be able to crush Bronwyn for a quick dragon. She played two No Gang members but then switched to the Fun Gang. Mark was confident because he had Wall of Fire (draw no more cards) and Volcanic Gauntlets (double one character's fire value). Bronwyn played Laughing Gas, though, which causes special power text to be ignored. Mark's remaining supports all had power text and no values, so things weren't going well--and Bronwyn now had 12 fire, six cards out, and two dragons on her side. And an easy win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Folke
Denmark
Lyngby (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
badge
Pierce 2
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the report - I just love reading about this game.

In vulca vs khind my experience with vulca (my two regular opponents both love to play the khind) is that you cannot afford to let him get to six cards. Be willing to retreat quickly and often, then start a new fight with one of your power 5 characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Alexandria Bay
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Falke wrote:
Thanks for the report - I just love reading about this game.

In vulca vs khind my experience with vulca (my two regular opponents both love to play the khind) is that you cannot afford to let him get to six cards. Be willing to retreat quickly and often, then start a new fight with one of your power 5 characters.

Yeah, I know. Retreating early is one key to the game. I have a lot of experience against the Khind (as I said, Bronwyn almost always chooses them)--and normally I'm smart enough to retreat at 5. In both fights, though, she was at 4, and I had plenty of cards to squash any gang she deployed against me, and I could get up to 6--so it looked like a couple of dragons to me. She would then play the card or cards that would prevent my matching her power, and bring herself up to 6. I didn't play very well, but I wasn't exactly careless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls