BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Michigan Game shops... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: flgs [+] michigan [+] [View All]
AB
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going over to Michigan in April for a few days, specifically Ann Harbor, for work purposes but wondered if anyone knew of a descent game store in this area?

Would be nice to mix a bit of game shopping in with my work trip. I was thinking of taking as few clothes as possible to leave lots of room in my case

Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/120302 ?

http://www.gamestoredb.com/ ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
If you mean Ann Arbor, I should mention that there are two places that are new...
First, Vault of Midnight (a comics and anime shop)moved two blocks to a great Main St. location, and started carrying board games.

Second, a new place called Get Your Game On will open on March 7 at State and Packard (I think in the Sake Bombs Depot building), and will carry comics, video games, and board games).

That's pretty much it for Ann Arbor, although our ugly half-sister, Ypsilanti, has a few shops that stock games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding to what has already been noted....

Tree Town Toys is a new store on the north side of Ann Arbor (Plymouth Road), and they stock a good selection of games. Fun-4-All in Ypsilanti carries games, and stocks a fairly wide variety of collectible games. (Oh, and don't believe what Marc said -- Ypsi is not that ugly.) Rider's in Pittsfield Township stocks a few games, but their selection has been trimmed a lot in recent years.

Further afield, RIW in Livonia is a great store, less than 30 minutes away. In the other direction, The Toy House in Jackson is a huge store that is rumored to carry games, but I haven't been there to check it out.

Clark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudine McClean
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found RIW really good ... http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1308818#1308818

They're in Livonia, but if you're flying into/out of DTW then it's almost on your way! With $2 to the pound I picked up some real bargains. They're really nice folks too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Montney
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
CDRodeffer wrote:
Adding to what has already been noted....

In the other direction, The Toy House in Jackson is a huge store that is rumored to carry games, but I haven't been there to check it out.

Clark

The Toy House, in my opinion, does not carry a wide variety of games. It has educational games, some Hasbro games, some card games, and a bunch of Monopoly games.

If you were to go to Jackson to find games, I would suggest Nostalgia Ink, (135 E. Michigan Ave., 517/784-8955) who has 50-100 new games and about 50-100 used games. A little dusty......

But in A^2 I would have to go with the Vault. I think they used to have a different name in the past and more games. Hmmm, you would think that Ann Arbor would have a really good game store.

My favorite game store, the Game Room is in Toledo, which is about 1 hour away from Ann Arbor (419/475-3775). This store is close by the freeway, carries a huge selection of new and used stuff and the owner is always ready to make a deal

JB Mallus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
The other option is to order online, have the games shipped to someone in the area and meet up with them for gaming and pickup. (Of course that would require trusting someone in the area and them being willing.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for RIW. Their prices are typical retail but Pam the owner is absolutely wonderful. Check 'em out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Bailey
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ann Arbor used to have a Rider's about a block down from Main Street. Had an awesome selection of games and Dean. Dean could recommend a good game for you if you didn't quite know what you're looking for. Then they closed that store down and moved to Ypsilanti. They used to have a better selection of games, but that has slowly been dwindling.

I haven't been in Vault of Midnight since they've added games, so no comment there.

Fun4All is pretty good. Decent selection of games (but no real wargames). They probably have all the collectible games you could want. Pretty decent owners. Lots of space for people to play games.

RIW in Livonia is probably the best selection around here. Down the road from them is another Rider's, but I haven't been in there so no comment. There is also a minis gaming place around there. Mostly minis, but some games.

A little bit further is Old Guard hobbies in Westland. (Although it might be Imperial Hobbies). Moderate selection of games, but most war games.

There's another Rider's in Flint. Moderate selection of games there too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
Vault of Midnight carries mostly DoW games, and just about the entire Mayfair and Phalanx catalog. I think I saw Marvel Heroes in there, and some Out of the Box stuff. I'd estimate about 50 games total. I've never been to Tree Town Toys...anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
East Lansing has a couple of nifty game shops but, coming up here from A2 is frowned upon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AB
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks for the great response. All contributions and advise much appreciated.

I'll enjoy tracking some of them down while working (cough cough). Oh and btw sorry for the spelling error of Ann Arbor, hope I didn't cause any offense.

Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls