BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Best board game store in Chicago? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Moore
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'm heading to Chicago in April, looking to maybe pick up a game while we are there, what are the stores with the best selection? I'll be in the downtown area.

Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
montag 66
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hard to beat Cat & Mouse!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Downtown proper, in the West Loop, there's Cat and Mouse. What they sometimes lack in gamer-games they make up for in a selection of family games and toys. And they used to run one of the better Netrunner leagues in town -- I've fallen off that radar in the past year. If you're looking for something unique, you'll find it there.

Further north into Lincoln Square and Andersonville, there's Wanderer's Refuge and Chicagoland Games (respectively). Wanderer's is a fantastic boutique store with a well-curated stock, and the Dice Dojo is a gamer's-game paradise with multiple copies of everything new and plenty of copies of the classics (plus an open game library that has to be seen to be believed).

Out in suburban Des Plaines is Games Plus, and if you've got a car it's also worth a look, especially if you have any RPG leanings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in Chicago in May 2015, and did a tour of game stores. Chicagoland Games Dice Dojo was by far my favorite, with Games Plus being probably second.

I actually didn't care much for Cat & Mouse, but, I think Opie's review is pretty accurate. It was not a bad store at all, it just wasn't what I was looking for or interested in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in Chicago with my wife about a year ago. We spent a day touring the different game shops. Dice Dojo was our favorite by far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldyn Gryphon
United States
Mesquite
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't need a car to get to Games Plus it's right on the Metra line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Goldyn Gryphon wrote:
You don't need a car to get to Games Plus it's right on the Metra line.

This is true! I loved the fact the Games Plus and Dice Dojo were right there by mass transit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Schneider
United States
Skokie
Illinois
flag msg tools
Gaming Goat in Schaumburg is my personal favorite, they always offer discounts off of MSRP and they have a very large selection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls