BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Best board game store in NYC rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Moore
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll be heading to NYC in May, looking to maybe purchase a game while I'm there. What are the best store to pickup a game? I'll be staying just east of Madison Square Garden.

thanks,
Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Rival178 wrote:
I'll be heading to NYC in May, looking to maybe purchase a game while I'm there. What are the best store to pickup a game? I'll be staying just east of Madison Square Garden.

thanks,
Matt

Why would you want to buy a boardgame you can buy anywhere at one of the most expensive and heavily taxed places on the entire planet?

Sorry that's all the implied advice I have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Davis
United States
windsor
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Compleat Strategist on E 33rd street, about a half block up from 5th ave, and the Empire State building is a great store to find a game in. its been there since the 70s as well so a bit of gaming history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y Park
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
www.thecompleatstrategist.com on 11 e 33rd st.

you'll only be a few blocks away, although prices are at full MSRP. still, one of the best in terms of selection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Moore
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Awesome, thanks!

hacksaaw wrote:
The Compleat Strategist on E 33rd street, about a half block up from 5th ave, and the Empire State building is a great store to find a game in. its been there since the 70s as well so a bit of gaming history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drace Zhan
msg tools
Rival178 wrote:

thanks,
Matt

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-geekery-hq-queens

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy superior to compleat strategist imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
River Vale
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From my experience:

Best selection - The Compleat Strategist (so many games in such a small amount of space)

All-around "nicest" - The Uncommons, where you can also get a game in and grab some food.

Best management - 20-Sided Store. Not to knock the others, but every time I've gone here, the guys who run it are helpful, nice, welcoming, and very much a part of the hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's kind of unbelievable and amazing but the number of decent game stores in NYC is zero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Middleton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mat628 wrote:
It's kind of unbelievable and amazing but the number of decent game stores in NYC is zero.

Not really, given the astronomical rents. I'm actually kind of surprised that The Compleat Strategist manages to live on there on 33rd st. Maybe they signed a 99 year lease or something back in the 80's?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Qualm wrote:
Mat628 wrote:
Not really, given the astronomical rents. I'm actually kind of surprised that The Compleat Strategist manages to live on there on 33rd st. Maybe they signed a 99 year lease or something back in the 80's?
Yet somehow 300 stores that sell nothing but luggage and electronic devices of questionable origin manage to make it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Finkelstein
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
Rival178 wrote:

thanks,
Matt

Why would you want to buy a boardgame you can buy anywhere at one of the most expensive and heavily taxed places on the entire planet?

Sorry that's all the implied advice I have.

I agree. I would understand if you are coming from overseas, but otherwise I'm puzzled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark James Schryver
United States
Pulaski
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mat628 wrote:
You should go to the three stores mentioned in the post directly above yours. I'm not sure what you're looking for, but I think they're all great.

For anyone who lives outside of NYC:

Strategist has practically everything ("First edition of Flux? Hmm, hold on... ah here it is, on that bottom rack, behind the Japanese fireworks card game.").

Uncommons is chill and friendly as anything, and the best place I've ever been to, to walk into alone and say, "Who's up to play?" and make new friends.

Twenty-Sided is just a great store; their support of / participation in International TableTop Day is especially awesome. Their staff is friendly and professional, and they give great customer service; what they don't have, they'll order. (Also it's a 5-minute walk from both the subway stop, and Barcade, a bar filled with 1980s arcade games, with custom-made shelves to set your drink on while you play. No, I am not making this up.)

As for the luggage and electronics stores, one word: Tourists. We get about 60 million tourists a year, and they pour $70 billion into the city. A LOT of that money gets spent in stores that neither I, nor anyone I know, has ever set foot in.

If you want to avoid those places, they're all conveniently clustered around Times Square, China Town, and the rest of the tourist hot spots; my recommendation is just walk right on by...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjschryver wrote:
[q="Mat628"]
Uncommons is chill and friendly as anything, and the best place I've ever been to, to walk into alone and say, "Who's up to play?" and make new friends.

Agree with the above posters.

The compleat strategist has a huge selection and is very much akin to how new yorkers are used to shopping, crowded hallways, odd inventory, new/old mixed together, accusing looks when you enter, unwelcoming attitude towards questions, receipt system from 1986.

I (unfortunately) stop in there once a month or so, keep in mind they only have mildly late hours on thursday nights, otherwise they are wrap at 5 most days, unlikely everything else in the city.

The uncommons is fun, but it's way over crowded, if you want to play games there, your best to arrive VERY early, but it's a great little cafe in the heart of what once was the 'chess' district of nyc/astorplace.

enjoy!
-
James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls