Mark Bigney
United States
Alexandria Bay
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Round Two.
Mark was playing the Buka, since he's increasingly fond of them. Bronwyn played the Khind, as always (she likes the powers of the Mimix, but won't play them, because the deck "makes [her] feel dirty"--can't disagree there).

Things started off slightly to Bronwyn's advantage, with the Khind getting to 5 or 6 power and forcing the Buka to bluff like crazy to match. It was a safe bet for Mark, because he knew that Bronwyn was too risk-averse to call him on it. The momentum was on Bronwyn's side, getting the first dragon, so trading dragons back and forth seemed to her advantage. Mark was never letting her get to 6 cards, though, and she was burning through gangs. Mark was able to load up the 3 ship with the can't call bluffs booster and two useful characters--one that increased bluffs to 4 power and another that discarded a booster/support card.
For the rest of the game, Mark tried to get three cards and a bluff on his side, so he could land the boat and get a crushing 2 dragon victory. This never happened, though, because Bronwyn kept having to retreat before he could even play his third turn in a fight--she had run out of characters too soon. Four consecutive retreats later, the Buka won with two dragons on their side.
Neither side was very satisfied--Bronwyn was frustrated because she had run out of characters, Mark was disappointed because he never got to land his ship. Blue Moon is still awesome, though--and that's always a consolation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gyges wrote:
Round Two.
Mark was playing the Buka, since he's increasingly fond of them. Bronwyn played the Khind, as always (she likes the powers of the Mimix, but won't play them, because the deck "makes [her] feel dirty"--can't disagree there).

Please tell me this is from a dislike of how powerful the Mimix can be at varying moments and not because of the artwork...

Gyges wrote:
Things started off slightly to Bronwyn's advantage, with the Khind getting to 5 or 6 power and forcing the Buka to bluff like crazy to match. It was a safe bet for Mark, because he knew that Bronwyn was too risk-averse to call him on it.

That's interesting. A lot of people who've played Buka have suggested that they would never actually bluff (i.e. declare an element that doesn't match the cards) because the consequence of getting called is to devastating to justify it. I've been in both situations, where my wife felt she wouldn't call because she didn't think I was crazy enough to bluff and suffer the loss and where I felt averse to putting a card down because I just KNEW that that time she'd make the call. It definitely introduces a new psychological tactic to the game.

Gyges wrote:
Mark was able to load up the 3 ship with the can't call bluffs booster and two useful characters--one that increased bluffs to 4 power and another that discarded a booster/support card.

Awesome combo if you can get it to come off.

Gyges wrote:
Neither side was very satisfied--Bronwyn was frustrated because she had run out of characters, Mark was disappointed because he never got to land his ship. Blue Moon is still awesome, though--and that's always a consolation.

Khind running out of characters is not an experience I've frequently had, to be sure. Good to know it's still enjoyable even through moments like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's always interesting to me how disparate the reactions are to the Mimix art. Some really enjoy it, some are completely ambivalent either way, and some are just *bothered* by it on some level.

For me, bluffing was something it took a few games to grow into. At first I was very reticent to bluff with anything other than the correct bluff symbol because I didn't have a sense of how the deck played. Once I got more experience, I started to realize when good times were for these "fake bluffs" and started attempting them more often. Keep in mind, too, that sometimes "fake" bluffs that you only leave in for a turn before discarding are great ways to get empty-bluff characters out of your hand when you need to clean your hand out. Just don't abuse it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls