16 Posts

Master of Orion: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: MOO III rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gergely Sárosi
Hungary
flag msg tools
Guys! All of my heart is for MOO II, but I've decided to play MOO III until I love it! :-) I ... WILL ... MAKE ... MYSELF ... LOVE ... IT!

(because accidentally I've bought MOO III instead of II ... shame)

Wish me luck :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spike K
msg tools
Play it with the fan patches.

Then call it something other than Master of Orion, to dilute expectations the game is related to MOO 1&2 gameplay.

Now you have a decent 4X game that focuses on Macromanagement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no way I could ever love the pseudo Excel 'game' MOO3 is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Fowkes

Farmington Hills
Michigan
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can get the original MOO I and II for Windows/Mac/or Linux as a digital download from gog.com for $5.99 for both!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
And then use your MOOIII CD as a fancy coaster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean S
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
HEXTALL IS A WIZARD!!!
badge
HEXTALL IS A WIZARD!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just leave this here... http://store.steampowered.com/app/298050/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel H
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, they're certainly not skimping on the budget for the voice cast!

Hopefully the board card game is as good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Love
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
IMURZRO wrote:
I'll just leave this here... http://store.steampowered.com/app/298050/

And this!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/281990

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
MOO III... I tried playing till I loved it on College. It didn't work. I just grew to hate it more. What shame. MOO II was such a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not have a chance to play much, it did not hooked me. Apparently a player delegated everything and clicked the next turn button 400 times and won without issuing any command.

I think one advice would be to delegate as much as you can, and do not take a look at what the AI does for you. Think of it as part of the randomness of the game. Like a board game, imagine everything has been abstracted even if you can take a look at the details. Else you'll end up saying that the AI does it bad and you'll have to do it yourself.

Still, as a game designer, I should be playing bad games too to learn from their mistake. At that time, I was not really a designer, so maybe I should give it another try for learning purposes.

Else I tried recently Endless Space which was pretty bad. There was still a few good ideas in this game, but as whole it was horrible.

As for MOM clone, I tried Elemental which was bad, then Warlock which was acceptable and Warlock 2 which was no better, if not slightly worse than warlock 1. Modding capabilities of Warlock 2 did not help either as the game engine (especially spells) was way too limited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fike
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Playing MOO III until you like it is like trying to live in Wisconsin to make the people of Manitowoc seem like an epicenter for freedom and what it means to have civic rights protected at all costs. It will never happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most people say this game has a Macro approach which is the case of most board games. So I am interested to see how they did it, maybe there could be some mechanics inspiration. It will not make the game better, I know the game is bad, but I need to see it from my own eyes (A game designer eye) to learn from it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am currently watching a set of video on you tube where the guy is playing the game. I can now see the issue that "spreadsheet" games had. It was the problem of having too many information to manage (which is present in many pc games), the lack of decisions and delegation.

For example, even at the race creation screen, and attribute like creative which was just a special ability you could take in the previous games. Now there were 4 levels of creativity. So it ends up managing microbonus. It also have a feeling of fence sitter: "Do you want to be creative or not - Hmm! I am not sure, let be a little creative just in case"

The other issue is the decisionless system. In a board game, you need to make decisions between choice A, B and C which each has it's pro and cons. Like sid Meier said "good games are made of interesting decisions"(or something like it). But in Moo3, there is no decisions to make. Most of them are slider adjustment. For example in technology, you research all field at the same time in various proportions. Yes you can "choose" the proportions, but it does not have the same impact and drama than choosing tech A rather than tech B.

Finally, as I previous said, adding more complexity because you can delegate task is not a good thing as player will look and criticize what the player do. So they will end up doing it manually anyway. Better to abstract it and hide it from the player. So again, too much details and information required a delegation system to be playable.

That is my analysis so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony L.
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you use the fan patches to fix the bugs and crap, it's actually a pretty solid 4X game, and this is coming from a huge fan of the second game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The video I saw included some fan patch, not sure which one, and it was still horrible to manage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.