Subject: A Compilation of Session Reports rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, despite my better judgement, my initial base set of Blue Moon has ballooned with several expansions purchased by me and my brother ("I'll just get the base game...that's all I'll ever need!")

We've been keeping track as we acquired new decks. Here is the order of acquisition, one at a time:

Base Set
Buka
Mimix
Flit
Terrah

Our first experiences with the base set...I know people say time and time again you have to "learn" the Hoax, but I think the final W-L of the Hoax versus Vulca was 1-9. And the 1 was by the slimmest of margins thanks to nailing one of the decks combos, and the technicality of a tied game being decided by who ran out of cards first.

It's just too much raw power coming at the Hoax too quickly...the Hoax want to build combos, but often there just isn't time, or the situation escalates out of control. So long as the Vulca are smart and just dodge the Hoax's more dangerous bullets (retrieval cards, for example), they always come back at the Hoax and score back any lost dragons and more.

We're not dense people, with a lot of CCG experience under our belts. I find the claim that you have to "learn" the Hoax a little odd, considering they suffered the same losing fate no matter who was in charge. (I was the pilot of their only winning game).

We then went and got the Buka deck, and first paired them against the Vulca. I posted that session report already, but the game was VERY close, with the Buka just squeezing out a tie-breaker victory. A really great toe-to-toe battle, with the natural strength of the Vulca being a match for the Buka's strong ship-landing tactics. It was in this game that I saw a Fire Total of 17, which was a record (that still stands for us).

We then thought--hey, maybe the Hoax are just a different match for the Buka...maybe their strengths will work better, as each deck might want to build combos and take the fights longer?

Oh dear...that was a SLAUGHTER. The Hoax lost the four-dragon way, the first time we had seen that. It was so lop-sided we didn't bother to revisit the matchup yet.

Then came the Mimix. The Mimix faced off against the Buka, and suddenly they faced another deck capable of fielding multiple characters in a turn. The Mimix seemed a very strong match against the Buka, and the end result was the Buka ships going down in flames 2 dragons to none. I think that I got hosed a bit by not drawing ships early (and I probably should have tried digging for them by declining to start fights), so this is a matchup we will very likely revisit soon.

By now, we had the fever, and I picked up the Flit the next week. Man, I love these guys! Exactly my playing style with lots of recurring characters. The first pairing for them was against the Mimix, the "reigning champions" as it were. The streak continued...the "new deck" toppled the old as the Flit more or less cruised to victory. I just dodged their dangerous pairs, and made sure to never give up two dragons on retreat by picking my battles very carefully. The final score was 2 dragons to 0.

This week, my brother picked up the Terrah (we're going to take a breather after this, to explore these decks better). Would the streak continue? I picked the Flit, the "champions" as they were, to see if they could defend their title.

The game started innocuously enough. He came out swinging so I backed down early, yielding a dragon. The next battle he used a combination of cards that hampered my retrieval. I managed to use the Flit who ignored Support cards to string out the battle (allowing me to retrieve him) so that I was committing a small # of characters and cards. Then, I used "Distract Holy Dragon" to yield the battle, giving up only one dragon. But now I was down 2-0.

The next fight I led strong, and he quickly yielded. Now we were at 1-0.

The next series I found myself on the bad end of a clogged hand and some decent strength, so I used the other Holy Dragon card to pitch three characters to attract a dragon, then I yielded. The score stayed at 1-0.

It was downhill for him after that. I drew into some strong earth, supposedly his strong point, but I was able to field 7 earth with the 4/4 Flit and the 3 Earth booster, forcing him to play the 0/7 guy. Then I bounced the 4/4 Flit to hand, played him again, and played the earth doubler, winning the fight. Now we were tied up.

He led strong Fire with the random.Vulca in his deck, which was unexpected. More unexpectedly, I used the Mutant to change it to Earth. Turns out we both had outthought each other, as he had wanted to keep it Fire after all, and I had some decent Earth. By now our decks were depleted.

I won that battle, and we revealed our hands...no way was he going to win out with only one character when I still had four, all with the retrieval icon.

The Flit won! Finally, a deck doesn't lose to the "new" deck.

I gotta say this--I really, really like the Flit, though I've read how they are considered weak. With their bounce ability they never run out of characters, and their paired Boosters at the right time can be very hard to deal with.

We've talked about deck construction, but at this point, I don't think we're ready to try to upset the balance just yet. These decks seem nicely balanced, except for the !#@!$@ Hoax.

Deck: W-L:

Hoax 1-10
Vulca 9-2
Buka 2-1
Mimix 1-1
Flit 2-0
Terrah 0-1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Your experiences with the Hoax and Flit seem to be the opposite of mine. I have no doubt that the decks are balanced - playing style has a lot to do with which decks find success in a given players' hands.

We should play some time If you consider delving into the shady underworld of online BlueMoon play via Cardtable or Lackey, let me know.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
Interesting. The Vulca are a fairly average deck. On the other hand we find the Hoax the most powerfull deck in the game with the khind their only real peers.

I'd love to figure them out, I really would.

Vulca to me is like the old Green Stompy decks in Magic--just tossing out large beef turn after turn.

It should be noted that the first 10 games we played were all Vulca vs. Hoax. The first day we tried this, we played 4 of them. The guy I was playing and I swapped decks halfway through--and each of us lost with the Hoax.

The next 6 were all between my brother and I, swapping the Hoax back and forth. He was 0-3 with them and I went 1-2.

Maybe we'll just keep at them. I really don't see how they can match power and go toe to toe with the Vulca, Terrah, or Buka, so it's going to come down to timing and knowing the cards, I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoax definitely can't match Vulca toe-to-toe powerwise. You've got to utilize their other 'tricks' to compensate. What's really, really rewarding about this game is having difficulty like you are, only to finally figure out what's going on and turn it around. I wish ya luck.

Incidentally, I've found the most valuable thing for figuring out a deck, especially one I'm not doing well with, is just to play it consecutively, rather than alternating. There's also the possibility that the deck just isn't going to work for you. Good example: I introduced the game to a friend of mine and decided to switch up the traditional approach and have him learn Hoax first. He spent weeks eternally frustrated, not being able to accomplish anything at all with them, until he finally played Terrah for the first time and his eyes lit up. He'd found his deck and I think he beat me with it on that very first play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Ben-Ezra
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jowjow wrote:
There's also the possibility that the deck just isn't going to work for you. Good example: I introduced the game to a friend of mine and decided to switch up the traditional approach and have him learn Hoax first. He spent weeks eternally frustrated, not being able to accomplish anything at all with them, until he finally played Terrah for the first time and his eyes lit up. He'd found his deck and I think he beat me with it on that very first play.

This is a good point. Different people tend to gravitate towards different styles, and the different decks definitely require different approaches to use effectively.

So, for example, there's something about the Aqua that really floats my boat but the Hoax generally leave me cold.

Seth Ben-Ezra
Great Wolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Ben-Ezra
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I gotta say this--I really, really like the Flit, though I've read how they are considered weak. With their bounce ability they never run out of characters, and their paired Boosters at the right time can be very hard to deal with.

Yep. The Flit are popular around here, too. The one thing to watch for, as you've probably discovered, is insufficient hand turnover, due to the retrievable characters.

Seth Ben-Ezra
Great Wolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Blake
Australia
flag msg tools
We tended to find the opposite - that at first Hoax seemed far too potent for the Vulca.

However, recently Vulca have been doing a little better. Vulca scored its first victory over a Hoax a week ago.

Although all of Hoax's losses more recently have been with me playing them. I think I've lost the initial success I had with them. Possibly a reason to play them more often.

Regards
Caleb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:
These decks seem nicely balanced, except for the !#@!$@ Hoax.

Oh man, do I feel your pain. I struggled terribly with the Hoax at first. Then I got some advice from this forum and now they are my favorite deck.

I'm not saying that you should give them any more time if you don't want to but the Hoax IS a good deck.

Great series of sessions by the way and I was ecstatic that you beat the Terrah.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henri Huttunen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review-report-hybrid!

We have had a way different time with our decks: I own every deck to date and bought then in chronological order, and we had to wait until the Aqua for someone to defeat the Hoax. I find their tricks more than enough to counter their lack of pure strenght (even if they are not the weakest deck power-wise, check out the also tricksy Flit), and especially cards like "Muster Reinforcements" and their hordes of support cards can ruin your opponents day. I still have not lost a mach to the Vulca with them (actually I have ever only lost to the Aqua and then to the Flit), and I play against 3 different opponents!

No the Khind, we can't handle them correctly. No one has ever won a match with them, it just seems like we never get decent number of the same suit of them to use them effectively... shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls