Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David J
United States
Waterville
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Climate kickstarter backers will have received an email to vote in a poll about potential new trait cards for a stretch goal pack. There is a discussion thread on the KS page, but everyone found that after they already voted (kind of inevitable the way the email was set up, I'm afraid). Therefore this thread is in the wee hope that some people will see this thread before they have voted, in order to debate them and try to influence other voters.

In agreement with several other posters on that KS page, I voted for Mimicry last in the group, because while the mechanic, familiar from M:tG where it is known as Clone, works in a Magic universe (hey, it's magic!), it is "fantasy" in the real world; evolution doesn't work that way ("mimicking" a creature that has a poisonous body doesn't give the same effects as the creature who _actually_ has the poisonous body).

OK, I could say more but here's the forum thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel the same way about that card.

In regards to the first card, I like the idea of trample, but the defining part of that snippet of art is the creature's mouth, not it's size. It looks like it has baleen instead of teeth; that really bothers me and doesn't seem to fit this expansion at all. If I had to choose, I guess I would pick the "Trampling" mechanic and the "Gulp" name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Brackenridge
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
As the designer of "Garguantuanism #2", I would like to petition for my card.

That said I was less a fan of Mimicry and Panavision because they would slow the games down with AP, imo.

I like Trample, but it is similar to Pest. I think Gulp Feeder needs to be in Sea in 2018. Although I would play itnow if I had it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J
United States
Waterville
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gulp Feeder was another one that I gave a low ranking because I did not understand how the mechanic fit the theme. The first part, that your creature cannot feed until your other species are fully fed, is just there to keep the card from being overpowered, but it makes no sense thematically (i.e., in nature a creature would not do that).

The Gargantuanism where you gain body size for eating food, I ranked highly, because it made sense. The one where you gain body size when you lose population, I ranked poorly, because this does not make sense to me. Why would a species gain body size when it is attacked? If the idea is that the species is evolving in response to predation, this is already built into the game: it's called increase your body size.

In general, all of my rankings were based on this kind of logic, without any regard for the artwork. I'd rather have mismatched artwork than cards that don't make any sense. (Really, the contests for the user-submitted cards and user-submitted art should be completely separate from one another.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Stewart
United States
Bowie
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Having just finished my 2nd MOOC Paleontology class (DINO 102), I
found the first Baleen Whale art not fitting with the Climate expansion.

A fast running card is missing, it would be offensive and defensive.

Gigantic size is very appropriate to surviving cold climates, but I think
the artwork for that feature should be a "worms-eye view" of a huge
wrinkled skin.

Definition:
gigantism - Macroevolutionarry phenomena in which some dinosaur groups, such as the tyrannosaurids, evolved to reach huge sizes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
capt yid wrote:
I found the first Baleen Whale art not fitting with the Climate expansion.
Couldn't agree more.
Quote:
Agreed, but do we know there's not one in the main set?

Are these cards all going to be promos - in which case the expectation is that they only be played in a game that's being played for the laughs as promos are not balanced, possibly even OP for the fun of it. If so, I don't really care much about these cards as I won't use them - if have to play the game a lot more than I do to make it worth just playing for laughs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
capt yid wrote:
Couldn't agree more.
Quote:

Here is the current card set. The cards will not change much from here (if at all).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
capt yid wrote:
Couldn't agree more.
Quote:

Here is the current card set. The cards will not change much from here (if at all).

So there's only 9 traits in Climate compared to what looks like 16 in the "base" game (according to the Wiki page for Evolution). Or is that 9 Climate-specific traits, with 7 "base" traits also in the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 17 traits in the base set.

There are 23 traits in the Climate stand-alone.

There are 9 new traits in the Climate conversion kit as well as some additional Carnivore cards. 3 of the new traits are modifications of traits in the base set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:

There are 9 new traits in the Climate conversion kit as well as some additional Carnivore cards. 3 of the new traits are modifications of traits in the base set.
Right, got it. Thanks Dominic - some of those 9 new cards are Climate alternates for the base game equivalents for a total of 6 new traits, that seems a good balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
domcrap wrote:

Right, got it. Thanks Dominic - some of those 9 new cards are Climate alternates for the base game equivalents for a total of 6 new traits, that seems a good balance.

I'm confused. Are you trying to clarify what comes in the game, correct my grammar, or insinuate that my post was misleading? Either way, your correction does not help the situation:

"Climate alternates for the base game equivalents"

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
domcrap wrote:

I'm confused. Are you trying to clarify what comes in the game, correct my grammar, or insinuate that my post was misleading? Either way, your correction does not help the situation:

laugh
Ummm... None of the above?

There are 9 cards in the picture, of those aren't three of them from the base game and updated for Climate? (Burrowing, Defensive Herding and Ambush). If my memory is off, I apologise for the confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
domcrap wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
domcrap wrote:

laugh

There are 9 cards in the picture, of those aren't three of them from the base game and updated for Climate? (Burrowing, Defensive Herding and Ambush). If my memory is off, I apologise for the confusion.

That is correct. Those are the 3 traits that are modifications of traits in the base set. Burrowing and Defensive Herding have protection from the Climate, and Ambush has an additional ability that targets Migratory. All 21 of these cards also have Climate icons which are used to move the marker on the Climate Track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
domcrap wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
domcrap wrote:

laugh

That is correct. Those are the 3 traits that are modifications of traits in the base set. Burrowing and Defensive Herding have protection from the Climate, and Ambush has an additional ability that targets Migratory. All 21 of these cards also have Climate icons which are used to move the marker on the Climate Track.
OK, thanks for the confirmation, sorry I triggered unwarranted aggression.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.