GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,617 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

First Minnesota Historical Wargame Society» Forums » General

Subject: G.A.A.R. -- 3/4/16 -- 18xx Strikes Back! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night First Minnesota had its very first ever 18xx BootCamp--at least as far as I know. Matt sent the call out a few weeks ago and the masses answered. We had 4 games of 18xx going on at one time. Who knew 18xx was so popular? With the release of 1846 by GMT approaching it was a good time to get people acquainted with 18xx. The future seems bright for this genre of train games, and if the resounding success of last night's teach n' play is any indication, we will have more 18xx popping up. So, a big thanks to Matt, Mark, Mike B, Mike S, and Clark for teaching us this great game. And a big shout out to Chris for being the Obi Wan Kenobi of advice. Chris danced between games and gave suggestions to newbies on what they could do.

Mark teaching a group of 1830:

Mike B teaching 1850(?):

Mike S teaching 1889:

Teaching n' Learning:

Todd & Chris (Obi Won) in the lower right picture:

18xx back to back to back (in the foreground you see Clark teaching 1861 to Matt and Todd):

Logan and Nathan mastering their craft:

The FOUR games of 18xx in full view:

I was very surprised by how much I liked 18xx. After we got the rules introduction to the game--I had no idea what was going on. But not because Mark explained it bad, just that with any heavy game, you're not gonna know what is going on at first. But after we got through the first turn, it flowed really well--lots of tension and 'oh crap' moments and definitely some 'screwage' going on. I loved it. It was also kind of funny to see Mike B, Mike S, and Clark split up at different tables of 18xx, because they are alway together playing--well they are our resident 18xx Mafia!!

Overall, I can't wait to play again. I will now starting on crafting my PnP 18AL.

There were other games played this night as well.

Overall a very successful night. First Minnesota once again dominated the back room. It was another great mix of veterans and newer people to the group playing games. Everyone is always welcome to show up to game on Friday Nights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great times as always! Tip of the hat regarding the 18xx tourney. I counted 40+ turnout for the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Carlson
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rich and I played Grand Illusion: Mirage of Glory, 1914, a training/learning game for both of us. And with Ted Raicer's convoluted rules, made more than a few mistakes - but still found it interesting and eligible to hit the table again. (Rule mistakes: we forgot (I think) the DRM affecting Heavy Artillery attacks on forts. {BTW, historically they were used effectively against Liege, Namur, Maubeuge, and Antwerp in 1914, ineffectively against Verdun - and one of the guns from 1914 was employed usefully against Sevastopol in 1942!] Only FOUR spaces can be used per side per battle. We had way too many forces in combat per hex - plus I forgot about voluntary defender retreats. On a more strategic level, while ignoring French High Command's orders for the Plan XVII blind, headlong attacks into Germany make a lot of sense in reality-based hindsight, the game's rules impose such a VP penalty as to compel compliance with orders - dead red (French) pantaloons = victory. And as soon as that is out of the way, the Command Action Points Table change pretty much mandates an immediate "withdrawal."

In Napoleon: The Waterloo Campaign, 1815, Rich's bad die rolls and leaving the Prussians in contact with the Anglos more than made up for my French once again being lured into an advance up the north edge of the board.

In two six-player games of Quartermaster General with the Quartermaster General: Air Marshal in play, awful US card draws allowed quick Axis romps to 30 point VP leads and victory. The massive Italian plunder that ended the first game was a delight to behold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Herr Dr wrote:
Great times as always! Tip of the hat regarding the 18xx tourney. I counted 40+ turnout for the day.

It was a huge crowd and we continue to get new people showing up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonya DePriest
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to share a heartfelt "Thank You!" to this group. In particular, thank you Matt for finding a place for Dave and I to sit down and learn 18xx last night. And a HUGE thanks to Mike B!! He taught 1850 last night and he was amazing! He made the experience fun, and it is always great to meet someone who really knows their stuff. He is a pro and gave great tips AND let us learn and make mistakes. He really wanted to make sure we had a good time. I want to reassure him - we did!

I have been long-time lurker of your group - on BGG and sometimes stopping by the store on a Friday evening. Your inclusiveness is refreshing! I probably will never be a regular attendee, but it is so great to know that I am welcome. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Clark
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I said it in the original thread, but it bears repeating: what a great bunch of teachers and players! A huge thanks to Mike B., Mark, Mike S., Chris, and Clark for teaching games and just being great ambassadors for 18xx gaming. I had planned to run 89' but it seemed to make more sense to just let that game start and I would have been happy just to hang out and offer advice where I could. Fortunately for me, Clark and Todd showed up and we were able to play a game of 1861: The Railways of the Russian Empire.

I am running another game next week so if anyone wants to hop in on 1889 at 6, just let me know. The Mike's, Clark, and others usually have an 18xx game going starting around 7 and have been very welcoming to me as an occasional newbie player. Last but certainly not least, I think Mike would like to organize a game of 18OE: On the Rails of the Orient Express one of these days. So if you thought last night's games were fun, but you need something bigger, First MN has you covered

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
tawnjah wrote:
I want to share a heartfelt "Thank You!" to this group. In particular, thank you Matt for finding a place for Dave and I to sit down and learn 18xx last night. And a HUGE thanks to Mike B!! He taught 1850 last night and he was amazing! He made the experience fun, and it is always great to meet someone who really knows their stuff. He is a pro and gave great tips AND let us learn and make mistakes. He really wanted to make sure we had a good time. I want to reassure him - we did!

I have been long-time lurker of your group - on BGG and sometimes stopping by the store on a Friday evening. Your inclusiveness is refreshing! I probably will never be a regular attendee, but it is so great to know that I am welcome. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Glad you had a good time. I kept hearing little bits of what Mike B was saying and he was cracking me up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Horton
United States
River Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PScipio wrote:
Rich and I played Grand Illusion: Mirage of Glory, 1914, a training/learning game for both of us. And with Ted Raicer's convoluted rules, made more than a few mistakes - but still found it interesting and eligible to hit the table again. (Rule mistakes: we forgot (I think) the DRM affecting Heavy Artillery attacks on forts. {BTW, historically they were used effectively against Liege, Namur, Maubeuge, and Antwerp in 1914, ineffectively against Verdun - and one of the guns from 1914 was employed usefully against Sevastopol in 1942!] Only FOUR spaces can be used per side per battle.

I just looked and the living rules are MUCH clearer on this. It would make it quite a bit less bloody in some respects.

Somehow between 11:30am and 7:30pm I played 5 games:

Grand Illusion
Napoleon
Quartermaster General (twice)
Bottom of the 9th

Just ONCE I'd like to play Quartermaster and not feel like I had a snowball's chance in hell of doing anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgenii
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday, I played my first "real" wargame The Guns of Gettysburg with Andrew. Thanks a lot for setting it up and struggling with me. Because it was probably boring to play, I made so many tactical mistakes... But I liked the game. Interestingly, this week I got some new wargaming magazine, and there is a large interview with Rachel Simmons and two articles about Napoleon's Triumph and The Guns Of Gettysburg; just a coincidence After that, we played Hammer of the Scots, it was really fun. Now I want to play more Columbia games (including Hammer again).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Schifano

St. Paul
msg tools
mbmbmb
We forgot to mention the return of Churchill! Two games were played through, both featuring the leader going to far and allowing an alliance of lesser powers to form against them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bourne
msg tools
Good to hear people newer to wargames can have fun at this event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
sir_schwick wrote:
We forgot to mention the return of Churchill! Two games were played through, both featuring the leader going to far and allowing an alliance of lesser powers to form against them.

In the game SteveV (U.S.), Dan (U.K.), and I played, I played the Soviets and got ganged up on a little (as par the course for Mr. Stalin), SteveV was running away with the game and tried to pull the reins in as the alliance was about to break. So it came down to the US front trying to enter, Dan put both US Dir Offenses into the conference and won one of them. Dan ended up with a 60% chance of getting into Japan, thus giving the UK the win as a Victory Condition win. But he didn't make his roll, a 7!!!!!!!!, and the Axis did not fall, thus preserving Steve's Americans for the win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Moura
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This must be the best gaming club on the planet - my favorite games being 18xx and wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Epee wrote:
This must be the best gaming club on the planet - my favorite games being 18xx and wargames.

And then there's the great winter weather.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Clark
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't say for certain that this was taken when I realized Todd shut me out of building a route into Poland, but I think it captures the moment very well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Albert
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had another great time with Wellington . . .thanks once again to Robin for shepherding, and for Brian and his brother for joining in.

It’s the meat-and-potatoes Nappy Wars engine, but after two games, I’m finding there’s a lot more nuance than is first apparent. Tons of reaction cards that hit hard so you’re never feeling all that solid about any move, all four sides can win, and there’s big tension on each of the three turns.

The Coalition needs to work together early to beat back the two French players while they’re making their snatch-n-grab for victory, then time it just right to start the back-stabbing that’ll put themselves in the best position to win late. While the French armies are the opposite . . . they need to keep an eye on each other early –- 1812 in particular -- then put aside their differences (and any early game shanks) if they want a chance to win in 1814.

Though all of that is murky, since there’s a 1 in 6 chance peace breaks out at the end of 1812 and 1813 –- so you can’t be too helpful OR antagonistic with your ally on any given turn. Good stuff. Looking forward to playing again. Hopefully next Fri.!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary A
United States
Lakeville/Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted this in the planning post but it needs reposting here!

Quote:
Thanks a bunch for putting this together! I had a great time and enjoyed learning a whole new format for me. I definitely would play again.

Huge thanks to Mike for taking the time to teach and his gracious patience. Our game went a bit slow but there was alot to absorb and he did a stellar job explaing why some choices were better than others.

Next Friday is iffy for me, but if I can make it I look forward to it!

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary A
United States
Lakeville/Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tawnjah wrote:

It was my first attendance too. Fantastic group of folks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
Epee wrote:

And then there's the great winter weather.

Wait a minute, you live in Massachusetts? You guys get way more snow then we do. East Coast is always getting slammed with huge snowstorms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks awesome! I'm bummed I missed out. Really cool to see all those 18xx games, 1861 in particular has been on my list for ages. Nice to see Grand Illusion getting some love, too. I had it for a long time, and always wanted to, but never got it to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
wernervoss wrote:
Looks awesome! I'm bummed I missed out. Really cool to see all those 18xx games, 1861 in particular has been on my list for ages. Nice to see Grand Illusion getting some love, too. I had it for a long time, and always wanted to, but never got it to the table.

Even though 1861 seemed way more complicated, it seemed really cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:
Wait a minute, you live in Massachusetts? You guys get way more snow then we do. East Coast is always getting slammed with huge snowstorms.

Our plan of ordering two years' worth last year and skipping this year seems to be working so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eofet wrote:
Yesterday, I played my first "real" wargame The Guns of Gettysburg with Andrew. Thanks a lot for setting it up and struggling with me. Because it was probably boring to play, I made so many tactical mistakes... But I liked the game. Interestingly, this week I got some new wargaming magazine, and there is a large interview with Rachel Simmons and two articles about Napoleon's Triumph and The Guns Of Gettysburg; just a coincidence After that, we played Hammer of the Scots, it was really fun. Now I want to play more Columbia games (including Hammer again).
Absolutely, I had a good time as well. I have around 10 games of Guns under my belt and am still a poor player so there's always a challenge for me. Its unfortunately not a good starter wargame because it's a bit deeper than many and little in the rules will translate to other Wargames but you picked it up quick.

The Columbia block games are a different story, there is plenty similar to Hammer of the Scots for lighter fare, but you can get to medium weight with GMT's FAB series or Pax Baltica. Loads of us already have the games and enjoy playing them so you're in good company if you decide to go down that route.

You might also look at Fading Glory and it's offshoots, it's a good introduction to stock hex-n-counter CRT fare and many in the group have and enjoy them. I'm rusty, but wouldn't mind dusting it off again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike S.
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Clark analyzing 18Dixie a few weeks ago.

Will the South rise again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bock
United States
Owatonna
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sir_schwick wrote:

Thanks for Pat, Nathan and David for teaching me to play Churchill. It was fun to get it on the table. I played Mr. Churchill and he had nothing to give to the war effort except blood, toil, tears, sweat and his Angina attack the first time I used him. One too many cognac's for the man.

Thanks for game.

We also played Neue Heimat a German game about scoring building construction. We played 2 games and I showed real aptitude for it. I lost with neg 42 the first time and was only at about neg 8 the second time. John can learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.