Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
adrian bai
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be in Boston in June 2016 and was wondering if there are any recommendations to visit any gamestores there.

Thanks!

Adrian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in Boston and shop almost entirely online. I haven't found anywhere with a particularly good selection here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Castle in Beverly is a board game cafe worth visiting if you're going to go to Salem. Otherwise there is nothing I'd spend time visiting on my vacation.

Check out this thread for some discussion: Our Friendly Local Game Stores (FLGS)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bloody Purchase
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.jasonbegy.com
badge
http://www.jasonbegy.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The Games People Play in Cambridge is decent and usually has some cool German imports and lots of puzzles. It caters more to adults.

Pandemonium Games and Books is a 20 minute walk from there. It has less of a selection and caters more to the hardcore nerd set - lots of M:TG stuff there.

The Compleat Strategist is near Boston University's arena (on the green B line) and always has cool stuff. Almost every time I went there I found something that was impossible to find. This is the only one I would recommend making a real effort to go to.

There used to be another shop near Coolidge Corner on the C green line. I forgot what it's called and haven't been there since 2008, so I don't know if it still exists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
Biggest selection - but in a horrible location and extremely cluttered small store - is Compleat Strategist.

All the stores that I've been to charge full price except for one outside of Boston in Milford, MA - TJ Collectibles. Some of their stuff is discounted. If you're wanting to meet other gamers the one I've seen that's the most active with people playing is Pandemonium Books and Games in Cambridge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morse
United States
Stoughton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Gengar in Hawaii
mbmbmbmbmb
Jasonbartfast wrote:
The Games People Play in Cambridge is decent and usually has some cool German imports and lots of puzzles. It caters more to adults.

Pandemonium Games and Books is a 20 minute walk from there. It has less of a selection and caters more to the hardcore nerd set - lots of M:TG stuff there.

The Compleat Strategist is near Boston University's arena (on the green B line) and always has cool stuff. Almost every time I went there I found something that was impossible to find. This is the only one I would recommend making a real effort to go to.

There used to be another shop near Coolidge Corner on the C green line. I forgot what it's called and haven't been there since 2008, so I don't know if it still exists.

I don't disagree with Jason's assessment of the stores, but would add a couple of comments about Cambridge. You're coming a long way, so I'm going to guess you might be looking for more than just game stores.

Games People Play and Pandemonium are only half a mile apart, so it shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to walk from one to the other. What's more, you'd be walking from Harvard Square to Central Square, or vice versa. These are two of the most vibrant neighborhoods in the Boston area, filled with many interesting people, shops, restaurants and so forth, assuming you're okay with the college vibe.

I'd recommend this walk to any Boston visitor with an afternoon or warm evening free. If you have more time, include MIT and/or a loop down along the river. You won't be disappointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jasonbartfast wrote:

It's luck of the draw whether you get the friendly staff or the awful ones, at that place. Some of them are nice and are equally comfortable with the store's whole inventory (i.e. both traditional games and modern ones). Others give the impression that if you aren't there to buy a $200 chess set, then you're a peasant and probably a stupid one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Jakobsson
United States
flag msg tools
Research Scientist at MIT Game Lab
badge
Media Gnome GM
mbmbmbmbmb
Jasonbartfast wrote:

I believe the store Jason is thinking of is Eureka!. It's still there. There's also a board game cafe in Brookline now called Knight Moves.

I also want to add that I had a horrible customer experience at Compleat Strategist and won't ever put my foot there again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek M
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick bump as I'm traveling here soon. Any new or changed thoughts since last year?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
Myriad Games in NH has gone to a "warehouse business model" with a very limited inventory in store. There really aren't any stores in southern NH now worth driving up from Boston to visit.

Biggest selection I think is still Compleat Stategist and THE store to visit.

Pandemonium Books & Games in Cambridge sometimes has a handful of discounted games. Most of their inventory is down in the basement. When you walk in it's not immediately apparent that most of the store is not at street level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a store called Relentless Dragon on 101A in Nashua that is pretty good - it is very comparable to Myriad back when it was a good store. Yeah its full MSRP, but so are the places in Boston. Worth driving up? Debatable. But if you are in southern NH, worth a stop and checking out. They have a pretty large gaming area as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pelham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Near Boston? The Hobby Bunker in Malden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls