United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This essay has moved.

Because the piece is one of the more important things I've written about games, for a long time I've also had a version at my blog, where I've periodically updated and refined it for years.

Over time, the version that appeared here on BGG had become so out of date (despite having edited more than 50 times), I decided to delete it and link to the up-to-date version.

Apologies for the inconvenience.
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lopez
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Get off my lawn!
badge
The explanation: Impossible Triangle + TW (my company initials) = my logo.
mbmbmbmbmb
While I doubt I will convince people to switch from "has buddha nature" to "fits the experimental results" any time soon, the point is interesting in that the thought processes needed for Zendo *do* mirror those required for scientific inquiry.

If only the universe would hand out green stones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nick, THANK YOU!!!! As a homeschooling mom who already owns this game AND runs a game night for the kids once a month, I'm thrilled to be given this perspective and plan to introduce this game in this manner at our next game night now! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Denise wrote:
Nick, THANK YOU!!!! As a homeschooling mom who already owns this game AND runs a game night for the kids once a month, I'm thrilled to be given this perspective and plan to introduce this game in this manner at our next game night now! Thanks!

Great! It makes me very happy to read this.

Now that I'm thinking about it, if the designer wanted to do some real good for the world, he could retheme the game, and sell it to schools as as a learning product (one that actually improves education!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One note:
In order to make the game easy for kids to begin with, do the following:

1. have the universe choose the simplest rule he can think of.
2. at the beginning of the game, describe just a couple of possible rules to the scientists, tell them that the real rule will be one of them, and their job is to figure out which it is. This will give them a direction that they would otherwise have to grope around for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Godeke wrote:
While I doubt I will convince people to switch from "has buddha nature" to "fits the experimental results" any time soon

I like milomilo122's theme a lot more than the one in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
I run a molecular genetics lab and I used Zendo to demonstrate the danger of positive results and the power of negative results.

You can create a model that conforms to all current observations and still be proven incorrect on future experimentation. The negative results are conclusively negative.

Ruling out possibilities: the way science should be done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Borges
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic review!
As a game-playing student teacher I am in the process of collecting information about bringing games into the school, including into the curriculum. How awesome is it that a fun game like Zendo so nicely resembles an important aspect of the Science curriculum.
MANY thanks.
Now to add this to the list
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.N. Onymous
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review! This one inspires me to play it with my friends. If only I could find a cheap source of Icehouse pieces. Oh well, maybe I'll stick to LEGO bricks, of which I have plenty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GuyHill wrote:
Great review! This one inspires me to play it with my friends. If only I could find a cheap source of Icehouse pieces...

Have you tried the cardboard Icehouse pieces (either DIY or buy)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about trying Zendo before, but now I must absolutely play this game.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic review! It compelled me to tip you some GG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos O.
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I first knew of this game some two or three years ago and it looked curious to me but then I wasn't prone to spend the money for it. With the present rate of exchange between euro and dollar and your explanation I feel it would be an investment beyond simple entertainment. Ach, molecular biologist professional deformation, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
origami freak
United States
flag msg tools
mb
kuhrusty wrote:
Godeke wrote:
While I doubt I will convince people to switch from "has buddha nature" to "fits the experimental results" any time soon

I like milomilo122's theme a lot more than the one in the rules.

Me too!

How would you formulate an appropriate expression for a set of beginner cards?

i.e. instead of saying "A koan has the Buddha nature if..." would you say "An experimental result will be white if..." ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's basically how I would say it.

I was thinking of getting several additional colors so that the law of nature could have several parts.

"the experimental outcome will be white if ... On the other hand, it will be red if ... On the third hand, the outcome will be white *and* red if ... etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
origami freak
United States
flag msg tools
mb
milomilo122 wrote:
I was thinking of getting several additional colors so that the law of nature could have several parts.

"the experimental outcome will be white if ... On the other hand, it will be red if ... On the third hand, the outcome will be white *and* red if ... etc.

Hehe. Now we're starting to get into classical genetics, and aspects of codominance and epistasis... ;-)

How about a quantitative genetics version? Polygenic traits? QTL mapping? Oh heck, might as well just go back into the lab and do it for real! :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Price
United States
Monson
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I will soon be going to India for four weeks to help train people to troubleshoot a complex software product at a new support center there, and I was thinking about bringing Zendo as a teaching tool. Although these Indians are highly educated, in part because their culture values education more than we do in the U.S., their entire educational system is built around rote memorization. In general, Indians are very poor at asking questions and thinking outside the box--skills that are crucial for technical support.

But I do have some concerns about whether the mild Buddhist references in the game could offend either Buddhists or non-Buddhists in India.

Perhaps I should change the language of the game too. One player could be the customer with a problem. The problem is an unexplained result, represented a pattern of pyramids. The other players could be the technical support engineers. They could propose different ways to try to reproduce the problem, and the customer could indicate whether the proposed state reproduced the problem or not, with white or black stones. And they could also try to guess at the root cause....

Uh... Not quite right. Still needs work. Anyone want to try and help me out here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
subversive wrote:

Uh... Not quite right. Still needs work. Anyone want to try and help me out here?

Since the icehouse pieces are thematically neutral, you don't need to make any reference to Buddhism or whatever. You can just describe it as I have, as an exercise in the scientific method, or any other way that you want.

Also, you don't need icehouse pieces. The easiest thing to do is use use sentences on a whiteboard or a sheet of paper. I actually enjoy the game more this way. It's way less fiddly and there's much more room for different laws of nature. And who wants to lug icehouse pieces to India?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW: I recently found another (rather different!) educational use for Zendo. I teach English as a foreign language, and I played Zendo with some students. Language teaching often doesn't focus on expressing very logically precise concepts like Zendo koan rules, so this was a fun game-playing way for the students to clearly express things very clearly, e.g. carefully saying something like "there is exactly 1 red piece and at least 2 blue pieces" instead of something easier but more ambiguous like "there's 1 red piece and 2 blue pieces".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I am gonna get a copy of this game before I visit my parents and I think they would really dig the game except for the fact that they are very conservative christians who could be turned off by the buddhist theme. I'll phrase it in the "retheme" you have here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
subversive wrote:
I will soon be going to India for four weeks to help train people to troubleshoot a complex software product at a new support center there, and I was thinking about bringing Zendo as a teaching tool.

So, five years later, did you take the game and, if so, how did it go?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Price
United States
Monson
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I did. It was mostly for fun on the afternoon of my last day. It went ok I think, although I wonder whether there is a social stigma there about gaming being non-productive time that we don't have so much in America.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McGuire
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Again... five years late, but I have mentioned the software debugging re-theme before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.