Subject: Battlelore is the worst... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Little Idiot
Scotland
Manhattan
New York
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Hoplite fanMicrobadge: Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! - Russia 1941-1942 fanMicrobadge: Commands & Colors Ancients fanMicrobadge: Heroes of Normandie fan - British sideMicrobadge: Memoir '44 fan
Battlelore is the worst Commands And Colors game for someone who is red/green color blind.

I have to ask my opponent if I've hit anything!

I'm not sure I'm loosing legitimately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Offline from The Geek for a whileMicrobadge: Christian
littleidiot wrote:
Battlelore is the worst Commands And Colors game for someone who is red/green color blind.

They really should have modified the visors in some way to distinguish them. I thought there was a fan-created file to place stickers over those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Lucky Owner of a War of the Ring Collector's EditionMicrobadge: Level 17 BGG posterMicrobadge: Commands & Colors Tricorne fanMicrobadge: Yaquinto fanMicrobadge: The Fantasy Trip RPG fan
Agreed. A color-blind friend of mine marked the green face with a permanent marker so he could tell them apart. I'd use Commands & Colors Ancients dice, with the leader (helmet) symbol being red as a Lore result. You might also be able to use the 2nd edition BattleLore dice with some modifications.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel [working on TENNISmind]
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My next game: TENNISmind, a simple yet realistic tennis match on your table
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
Microbadge: nestorgames fanMicrobadge: BASKETmind fanMicrobadge: Big*Bang fanMicrobadge: Tetrarchia fanMicrobadge: Victory or Death: The Peloponnesian War fan
I'm prety sure they changed slightly the helmet symbols in later editions (I saw pictures somewhere), but don't know exactly when.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Bright
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Oakland Athletics fanMicrobadge: I play with black!Microbadge: Baseball fanMicrobadge: I track all my games playedMicrobadge: Chicago Cubs fan
Another solution, though not the best, is to use just regular six sided dice. While not as fancy as the official dice, there is no ambiguity in the results. Just make sure you agree on a key with your opponent beforehand (1=Green, 2=Blue, 3=Red... etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Kr├╝ger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.Microbadge: Tea drinkerMicrobadge: xkcd fanMicrobadge: Ban DHMO!Microbadge: "I'm Magellan, a travelling mage. I notice your group has no wizard."
If you can recognize at least one color, use that as a hit regardless of what you are attacking. It does not change probability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brettell
Australia
South Turramurra
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Twilight Imperium (third edition) fanMicrobadge: 2015 Solitaire Print and Play Contest participantMicrobadge: Level 01 BGG poster
My friends and I are not colour-blind (at least don't think so) - we all have trouble distinguishing the green/blue on the dice. Maybe something to do with being 50+ doesn't help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Heckman
United States
Clermont
FL
flag msg tools
badge
Mr. Yuk sez, "Play more games!"
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Commands & Colors series fanMicrobadge: Rallyman: GT fanMicrobadge: Philadelphia Eagles fan
I bought a bunch of indented dice and stickers from:

http://indentedblankdice.com/

Then I just made my own dice. Replaced some other C&C games with my own icons as well.

- C
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 2019 Gold SupporterMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Level 13 BGG posterMicrobadge: Silver Image UploaderMicrobadge: Golden Meeple
brettellmd wrote:
My friends and I are not colour-blind (at least don't think so) - we all have trouble distinguishing the green/blue on the dice. Maybe something to do with being 50+ doesn't help.
I also had this problem in poor light, and ended up marking the Blue face with a Blue dot from a permanent marker.

So a similar solution could work for Red/Green colour distinction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
Microbadge: It's not over 'til it's overMicrobadge: Variant DesignerMicrobadge: Razor Sharp - BGG Women's Forum participantMicrobadge: DIY Expansion DesignerMicrobadge: Appreciate the little things in life
Minedog3 wrote:
brettellmd wrote:
I also had this problem in poor light, and ended up marking the Blue face with a Blue dot from a permanent marker.

So a similar solution could work for Red/Green colour distinction.
I had the same problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
Microbadge: BloggerMicrobadge: Splut! fanMicrobadge: Ewoks!
littleidiot wrote:

I don't suffer from color blindness myself but I agree with the fact that modern board game publisher should pay attention to this. It's one of those 'perfect enigneering' rules publishers should follow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Little Idiot
Scotland
Manhattan
New York
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Hoplite fanMicrobadge: Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! - Russia 1941-1942 fanMicrobadge: Commands & Colors Ancients fanMicrobadge: Heroes of Normandie fan - British sideMicrobadge: Memoir '44 fan
Yup. I thought about using my Ancients dice. I should look at the 2nd edition ones and see how different they are.

Edit: well that ain't gonna work! Looks like I'm customizing my Battlelore dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Another Mike
United States
Earth
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Warfighter WWII fanMicrobadge: Marvel Champions fanMicrobadge: WargamerMicrobadge: Warfighter fanMicrobadge: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game fan
It's a non color blind world. Hard to make something that will work for everyone with a handicap, could not imagine how expensive stuff would cost to cover everyone. This is a game so really at the bottom of the things that need fix. Good luck and hope you can find away to make it work for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls