Recommend
34 
 Thumb up
 Hide
37 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Advice for Big Noob.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
STEVEN HANNAN
msg tools
HI
Big noob sick of gazing into cpu monitor ( and things constantly going wrong with cpu ) seeking to break into warfare board gaming, will start off playing solitare till i get used to the handeling of the bits & bobs.

So i already have got myself some games, so out of the list below which do you good folk recommend i start with, thinking of ease of play over anything else.

1/Empires in America-The French and Indian War 1754-62
2/Ottoman sunset-The Great war in the east-1914-18
3/Border War-Angola Raiders
4/Field Commander Rommel-WW 2 Armoured Warfare Solitare Strategy Game
5/Field Commander Napoleon-The solitare Strategy Game
6/Ambush-solitare squad level WW2 Combat-France 1944
7/Cruel Necessity-The English civil Wars 1640-53
8/B-17 Queen of the Skies

Thanks in advance
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

Nice selection of games.

Pick one from a period of military history that sparks your interest to the highest level.
22 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome Steven!

I would say the easiest to learn would be B-17:Queen of the Skies. It is though more of an experience to feel the tension of getting your bomber back home than a game with actual decisions to make, but it is a lot of fun. The only other game that I have played on your list is Cruel Necessity. It has become one of my favorite games but it does take a while to get a good understanding of the rules. Plus, the game is not a misnomer, it truly is cruel (at least it has been for me).

Have lots of fun.

Cheers,
Tim
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Winslow
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Empires in America (second edition) is excellent, one of my 2 favorite "State of Siege" games, Mound Builders being the other.

The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43 and Silent Victory: U.S. Submarines in the Pacific, 1941-45 are also great.

When you want a little more complexity and challenge, John Butterfield's games can't be beat, for solo:

D-Day at Omaha Beach, D-Day at Peleliu, D-Day at Tarawa, RAF: The Battle of Britain 1940 and Enemy Action: Ardennes.

But playing with a friend, live or via the 'Net is the way to go!

Goid luck and enjoy.arrrh
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
This Memorial Day weekend, do not thank a veteran. Say a prayer of thanks for those in our military who gave their last full measure of devotion, and all their tomorrows, so that we could enjoy today and all OUR tomorrows.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome, Wargamer. Ambush and B-17 are classics. Cruel Necessity is very good. The others I have not played.

I second Pete's recommendation. Find the subject that most interests you, and dive in.

Lots of good folks around here, willing to help and offer suggestions. Good luck, have fun!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Gillispie
United States
Chamblee
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ottoman Sunset is lots of fun. I love Ambush - I come back to it whenever I have time (and have forgotten much of the last playthrough).

My suggestion is to find a good hex and counter game that's intended for two or multiplayer, but that you can solitaire (by just playing both sides; all good war gamers suffer multiple personality disorder) to enjoy learning some of the strategy and tactics, and then find a live opponent. I played the heck out of The Russian Campaign like that when I first got started; there's a bunch of newer ones that would fit too.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irish not Kraut!
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
scottgillispie wrote:
Ottoman Sunset is lots of fun. I love Ambush - I come back to it whenever I have time (and have forgotten much of the last playthrough).

My suggestion is to find a good hex and counter game that's intended for two or multiplayer, but that you can solitaire (by just playing both sides; all good war gamers suffer multiple personality disorder) to enjoy learning some of the strategy and tactics, and then find a live opponent.
I played the heck out of The Russian Campaign like that when I first got started; there's a bunch of newer ones that would fit too.



This. Ottoman Sunset is by Victory Point Games and those guys do some fantastic very approachable hex and counter games that play out over 90 mins or so and give you a good if somewhat simplistic overview of mechanics, maneuver and give a nice 'feel' without scaring you away with complexity. OS itself is decent too and been menaing to give it a good bash since losing has never been so much fun laugh

Some of the small-scale hex games from VPG I picked up are:

Target: Leningrad

Assault on Sevastopol

Operation Veritable

The Last King of Scotland

Best of luck with it and enjoy, I was in a similar position myself about 5 months back and well the more you get into it, you'll find yourself clipping counters and reading rules more than actually playing but when you do play, it's sweet.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
siddious wrote:
HI
So i already have got myself some games, so out of the list below which do you good folk recommend i start with, thinking of ease of play over anything else.

1/Empires in America-The French and Indian War 1754-62
2/Ottoman sunset-The Great war in the east-1914-18
3/Border War-Angola Raiders
4/Field Commander Rommel-WW 2 Armoured Warfare Solitare Strategy Game
5/Field Commander Napoleon-The solitare Strategy Game
6/Ambush-solitare squad level WW2 Combat-France 1944
7/Cruel Necessity-The English civil Wars 1640-53
8/B-17 Queen of the Skies

Thanks in advance


I never played Border War. From the other 7, from easiest to hardest:

1. Ottoman Sunset
2. Empires in American
3. Field Commander Rommel
4. Field Commander Napoleon
5. B-17
6. Cruel Necessity
7. Ambush (NOT an easy game. Wait awhile on it).
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You should put your city and state in your profile so the nearest one of us good folk can recruit you.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:


I never played Border War. From the other 7, from easiest to hardest:

1. Ottoman Sunset
2. Empires in American
3. Field Commander Rommel
4. Field Commander Napoleon
5. B-17
6. Cruel Necessity
7. Ambush (NOT an easy game. Wait awhile on it).


Border War is just okay, the rules are a bit of a mess with some things spread around different sections and some ambiguities that you will have to resolve yourself.

Of the rest, I can recommend Field Commander Rommel, excellent game that is fun and easy to play but very tough to beat!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
siddious wrote:
HI
Big noob sick of gazing into cpu monitor ( and things constantly going wrong with cpu ) seeking to break into warfare board gaming, will start off playing solitare till i get used to the handeling of the bits & bobs.

So i already have got myself some games, so out of the list below which do you good folk recommend i start with, thinking of ease of play over anything else.

1/Empires in America-The French and Indian War 1754-62
2/Ottoman sunset-The Great war in the east-1914-18
3/Border War-Angola Raiders
4/Field Commander Rommel-WW 2 Armoured Warfare Solitare Strategy Game
5/Field Commander Napoleon-The solitare Strategy Game
6/Ambush-solitare squad level WW2 Combat-France 1944
7/Cruel Necessity-The English civil Wars 1640-53
8/B-17 Queen of the Skies

Thanks in advance

Steve, welcome to the world of war board games. I have all those games you listed but Border War. Since you are really focused on easing into the war game genre and playing solitaire I would easily say start with Ottoman sunset-The Great war in the east-1914-18. This has ease of play with great mechanisms and oozes theme due to the cards. I found the game to be great fun. I would probably do Cruel Necessity as it ramps up slightly the rules and complication versus Ottoman Sunset. This will get you use to some more complicated and intricate type rules but not turn you off to the world of wargames. Then I would probably pick Field Commander Napoleon as it is a better game overall than Field Commander Rommel. I would leave B-17 as one of the last ones for you to try due to several reasons, one the rules are probably the most complicated out of the ones you listed. Then add the feel that you lack any real decisions in the game that affect the outcome, it however oozes theme and it is all about the attachment you have to crew members. I hope this helps you.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Case Blue
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcology wrote:

Wouldn't that be a little on the difficult side for someone new to war gamming? Also it does not have a solitaire true play feature. Just my thoughts.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Setser
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Developer - "Bayonets & Tomahawks" and "Imperial Struggle"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rockin Rocko wrote:
Arcology wrote:

Wouldn't that be a little on the difficult side for someone new to war gamming? Also it does not have a solitaire true play feature. Just my thoughts.


I'm hoping that was tongue-in-cheek, or checks the "every WG discussion must have reference to Case Blue" box. Not the game to start with BTW. I did pick up a copy last year, but even I have to start a bit lower on the OCS food chain before getting her on the table. Course, have to have a big enough table first.

If you have to play East Front, then I'd suggest No Retreat Russia first.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bsets wrote:
Rockin Rocko wrote:
Arcology wrote:

Wouldn't that be a little on the difficult side for someone new to war gamming? Also it does not have a solitaire true play feature. Just my thoughts.


I'm hoping that was tongue-in-cheek, or checks the "every WG discussion must have reference to Case Blue" box. Not the game to start with BTW. I did pick up a copy last year, but even I have to start a bit lower on the OCS food chain before getting her on the table. Course, have to have a big enough table first.

If you have to play East Front, then I'd suggest No Retreat Russia first.

I was hoping he was just teasing also. However some of us in the war game arena seem to want to push new people to fast on complexity of games in my opinion. Also some people are OCS fanatics so that could be where Arcology was coming from.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Campaign for North Africa (tongue firmly in cheek; indeed, you would need pliers to extract it).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Heldt
United States
Harper Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Two panzer jocks in the South Seas hoping that soon they'll get lei'd--
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43
The Lost Cause (If you can find a copy)
Soviet Dawn--
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McLean
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
siddious wrote:
HI
So i already have got myself some games, so out of the list below which do you good folk recommend i start with, thinking of ease of play over anything else.

1/Empires in America-The French and Indian War 1754-62
2/Ottoman sunset-The Great war in the east-1914-18
3/Border War-Angola Raiders
4/Field Commander Rommel-WW 2 Armoured Warfare Solitare Strategy Game
5/Field Commander Napoleon-The solitare Strategy Game
6/Ambush-solitare squad level WW2 Combat-France 1944
7/Cruel Necessity-The English civil Wars 1640-53
8/B-17 Queen of the Skies

Thanks in advance


I never played Border War. From the other 7, from easiest to hardest:

1. Ottoman Sunset
2. Empires in American
3. Field Commander Rommel
4. Field Commander Napoleon
5. B-17
6. Cruel Necessity
7. Ambush (NOT an easy game. Wait awhile on it).


Dead on. Ottoman Sunset is fun and pretty easy to learn as wargames go. FC: Tunnel is the easiest of the FC games to pick up, and a good amount of fun. Once you have failed the concepts of that game, then you can graduate to Napoleon. Definitely save Ambush until you have some experience with the others.

If you like submarines, I can recommend Silent Victory very highly. It's not too complex once you get a feel for the charts, and is a pretty intense experience.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McLean
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I see people have already tipped you enough geekgold for an avatar. If you'd like, I'll be happy to make one for you. Just shoot me a message.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
STEVEN HANNAN
msg tools
WOW What a lot posts helping me make the right choice which i think will
be OTTOMAN SUNSET ( with TE Lawrence in there i was kinda hoping that would be a fav ) great interest in that conflict ( east ) from the start also.

I will do a search to see if youtube has some playrer help coz i think
i may be needing it.

I must thank you all for the advice here and hope if i get stuck i will be able to ask for help too.

Scarred of failing to undrstand the rules etc is stll with me but am soo determond to get my head round this, unfortunetly i am dyslexic so this may take some time (which i have a lott of )and is also the main reason for moving away from the cpu ( which becomes more and more complex by the day )

Dont have a clue what geekgold is Michael but if you could give me a hand with a avatar that would be great ( then you will see how at odds with cpus i realy am )

Thanks again folks

siddious
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome pilgrim.

A few lists for you as you start on your quest:

The Road to Hell is Paved with Wargames

Your Most Anticipated Wargames of 2016

Wargames with Odd or Special Units

[geeklist=143118][/geeklist]

Item for Geeklist "Games Where Some Guy Just Totally Flipped Out"

Welcome to the GaGa Zone: Wargames with High Fanboy bases and lots of LUST: 2nd Golden Age of Wargaming Edition

1st MN/Sawatdee/Herr Dr Session Reports

March to the Sound of the Guns: Wargame Podcasts

Death to the Cult of the New: Top 100 wargames without grade inflation

Welcome to our tribe!
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
STEVEN HANNAN
msg tools
Thanks DOC what a freindly bunch you are,some very usefull links there that i am sure will help me on my way.

I have never felt so welcome to a forum in my life, so take a bow (spelling ?)

Cheers
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
B-17 is a great start. Not too many chits to set up and the game flows well, slightly abstract. Ambush! would be the next step. A chance to push counters around without ramping up the difficulty.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I want (to play) them all, and I want (to play) them now!
badge
Let Him Beware!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Advice for Big Noob....
Hello Siddious, and welcome to BGG. As you get settled in and start looking around, I would recommend you make time to read perhaps the most epic session report ever. While the game described by the report (A World at War) may be a bit off the deep end for a novice player, the report itself is a work of art. Be warned - at over 21000 words, it's not a quick read. But it rewards the patient reader nonetheless. And with that, I leave you with:

At Dawn We Ate Sugar Smacks: Wargaming Newbies Tackle the Monster of Monsters

-M_R
2 
 Thumb up
0.27
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
siddious wrote:
So i already have got myself some games, so out of the list below which do you good folk recommend i start with, thinking of ease of play over anything else.

1/Empires in America-The French and Indian War 1754-62
2/Ottoman sunset-The Great war in the east-1914-18
3/Border War-Angola Raiders
4/Field Commander Rommel-WW 2 Armoured Warfare Solitare Strategy Game
5/Field Commander Napoleon-The solitare Strategy Game
6/Ambush-solitare squad level WW2 Combat-France 1944
7/Cruel Necessity-The English civil Wars 1640-53
8/B-17 Queen of the Skies


I think the main idea is that you are just starting out.

1a- Empires in America/Ottoman sunset: Basically the state of siege collection. They vary in difficulty but they are not too bad. Although, I don't get the Hex and counter feel" from this style. Still very enjoyable.

1b- Border War: Rules aren't to complicated just confusing and poorly written, IMHO. The Decision Games folio series has its hits and misses, but plenty good for begginers. Gives more of a "hex and counter feel" if only streamlined a bit.

2- cruel necessity; State of siege but on the more difficult end of the collection. Still very start.

3- B-17: Less Hex and counter, More story/Roleplay. I haven't played but I have B-29 form Legion games. I played B-29 And it was like living a diary and being an accountant at the same time. A lot of chart inputing and rolling dice for succeses. I know I made that sound bad but I did enjoy the game and became emmersed in the story. Overall, not to difficult but quite a few charts and phases.

4- Field commander(Rommel/Napoleon/Nimitz) Great games. Lots of counters. May have a steep learning curve for a begginer, but well worth it. I hear Field commander Alexander is a better intro to the series. And cheaper.

5- Ambush!: Complicated. Not too difficult. Very fun. It has the most of the "hex and counter feel" out of the list. The problem is that you move one hex and you have to check a chart, then a booklet, then resolve any problems all while keeping tabs on every units inventory and skill levels. You also have to have a strategy. One of my favorite games!

I would recommend:
Tide of iron
Conflict of heros
Fading Glory
Battle cry


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.