Popular Tags: [View All]
David Valenze
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you are correct in your understanding on this topic. If an X result is rolled on the CRT at 1-1 odds, the Ogre loses a number of tread units equal to the attack strength of the attacking unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
cedric18 wrote:
...the Ogre loses a number of tread units equal to the attack strength of the attacking unit.

Years (and years) ago when I first learned the game, we missed this rather crucial detail and temporarily thought the Ogre unstoppable! robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
92 8 13 10/19/89
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also worth clarifying that, with one exception, multiple units/weapons cannot combine attacks against Ogre treads -- each weapon must fire one-at-a-time at 1:1 odds.

(the exception is stacked infantry squads, which can fire together or separately as desired)

Why does this matter? Suppose you've got two HVYs, the Ogre has 8 tread left, and you have to kill it this turn. If you can combine attacks, then you've got an 8-factor attack and a 1-in-3 chance to stop the Ogre. However, you can't do that, and so your separate 4-factor attacks only have a 1-in-9 chance. Combining attacks would allow for a handful of massive strikes to rapidly immobilize an Ogre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Part of me has wondered how it would play if you rolled one die for each point of attack strength and each 5 or 6 would knock off one track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The way the rules are written each unit makes a 1-1 attack, and on an X you destroy the attack strength's worth of treads. So if a HVY attacks, roll a 5 or 6 to destroy four tread units.

Infantry is sort of an exception. Up to three squads *may* combine their fire for one attack as above, or you can roll for each squad. Depends on how desperate you are, I guess.

I supposed SHVYs are another exception, since they can attack separately with each gun. So you could have one roll for six damage or two rolls for three each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Robinson
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never was much good at probabilities; is it not better to roll more dice in the hope of getting more positive results? i.e. one chance to do 3 damage, or 3 chances to do 1 damage each time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DIFFLOCK wrote:
I never was much good at probabilities; is it not better to roll more dice in the hope of getting more positive results? i.e. one chance to do 3 damage, or 3 chances to do 1 damage each time.
As Stephen wrote above, the probability of dealing maximum damage is actually highest if you combine fire as much as possible.
If you are splitting the attacks the probability of them all hitting is calculated by multiplying the probabilities of each one hitting. I.e. two shots = .3*.3 = .09 = 9%, three shots .3*.3*.3 = .027 = 2.7%

Similarly the odds of all attacks missing goes down though (multiply the probabilities of each individual one missing), so what is gained by splitting fire is the a low chance of dealing no damage at the cost of reducing your chance of dealing high damage.

That's why many don't like HWZ much; they can deal 6 damage in one go, but mot rounds they will deal zero damage. 6 infantry squads will rarely deal 6 damage in one go, but they'll also much more rarely deal no damage. 2 missile tanks are somewhere in between regarding reliability (and of course this totally ignores range of all the units)
If all where firing infinitely many times they'd all average out at 2 damage per turn, but the HWZ is be a prime target and most likely blown up after very few shots, making it a distinct possibility that it never hits the entire game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Sunley
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The probabilities are exactly the same either way: over an extended period of time, a unit that does 3 1-1 shots for 1 point of damage each turn will deliver exactly as much damage as a unit that does 1 1-1 shot for 3 points of damage each turn.

But the difference is that the 3 1-1 shots unit has good odds of delivering some of those damage points a turn or two earlier. And when your goal is to take out the treads as quickly as possible, that makes a significant difference.

In a meeting engagement, it wouldn't matter too much exactly where you immobilize the Ogre. In a Smash-the-CP scenario, it matters very very much. If you stop the Ogre one turn too late, you lose the game. Getting a few tread points a turn or two earlier can make all the difference.

[Interestingly, this is the only rule difference between Ogre Pocket Edition and ODE. Pocket Edition omits the paragraph allowing you to have infantry pieces split their fire. This was probably an editorial oversight - the rules are otherwise identical. The upcoming box set will virtually certainly allow infantry fire-splitting as well.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
HeatDeath wrote:
The probabilities are exactly the same either way:

It would be better to say that the expected average outcome is the same.

Quote:
But the difference is that the 3 1-1 shots unit has good odds of delivering some of those damage points a turn or two earlier. And when your goal is to take out the treads as quickly as possible, that makes a significant difference.

It can make a significant difference in either direction. If on the turn you might reduce the OGRE's movement allowance you need 3 more tread damage when you've fired everything else, you'd much rather have one three-damage shot. If you need one more tread damage, you'd much rather have three one-damage shots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.