Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: flgs [+] MN [+] [View All]
Ian Ross
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
Travelling to Minneapolis this week.
Any recommendations on Game shops in the Twin Cities?

Many thanks in advance
ian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Cappello
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Source at Snelling and Larpenteur - the big-boy in the Twin Cities. If you go to one store, make it this one.

I pretty much despise Phoenix Games on Lake Street, but they are about the next best choice after The Source.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have heard good things about Phoenix Games, but I agree go the The Source. That's my regular FLGS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Flynn
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Both Source and Phoenix Games are excellent. The Source will certainly have a larger selection but I favor Phoenix Games. The primary reason for this is that they have a nice shelf of used (often out of print) games which can be purchased for reasonable prices. I recently picked up a 1st edition Twilight Imperium with all 4 expansions complete nearly mint condition for $20. I can go on and on about the great OOP games I have found there for great prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N.D. Tepe
United States
North St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will endorse the Source as well. Here is their website: http://www.sourcecandg.com/

Their "official" address is Falcon Heights, but it is very near to Minneapolis and worth a drive (Lots of other retail nearby as well). Welcome to Minnesota!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vögel
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Chess player since 1971. Wargamer nearly as long. Eurogamer since 1997. I've come to prefer a balance of favorites to churning new games. Weary of long multiplayer wargames, but 2 player I'll go all night.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I pretty much despise Phoenix Games on Lake Street

Wow, despise is a pretty intense word to use without offering an explanation. I've been there several times and also purchased from Phoenix once online. Very satisfied each time.

The Source is really great. A tremendous selection and nice people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Ross
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
Thanks for the help and responses neighbours. Ooops, is that "neighbors"?
I love Minnesota and if I were to live in America Minneapolis would be my home.
My bud Colin and I will check out both places you all mentioned.
I love that in the Wikipedia entry it describes Minnesotans as among Americans with the most education, most literate and healthiest. But they don't mention boardgames.

peace
ian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
irishalum1989 wrote:
Both Source and Phoenix Games are excellent. The Source will certainly have a larger selection but I favor Phoenix Games. ...

Actually, in terms of number of titles (at least in terms of board games), I would say the both have roughly the same amount.

The biggest differences are the Source store it is a nicer store (i.e., newer) and has comics, videos and graphic novels which Phoenix doesn't carry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaadd Powell
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantasy Flight Games is also a Minnesota creation

When it's really miserable and cold outside, boardgames are a good option. When it's hot, and there is 100% humidity outside, board games (and AC) are a good option.
/Thaadd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Schendel
United States
Lino Lakes
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thaadd wrote:
Fantasy Flight Games is also a Minnesota creation

When it's really miserable and cold outside, boardgames are a good option. When it's hot, and there is 100% humidity outside, board games (and AC) are a good option.
/Thaadd

..and Atlas, iirc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with The Source as being "The One" in the Twin Cities. Phoenix is a great place for used games as mentioned before. Unicorn Games in Oakdale has a decent selection of new games as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls