Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Compter
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm turning over ideas for a new design but wanted to do a bit of research into certain mechanics, specifically traitors.

My current desire is to use some way of introducing a traitor without resorting to loyalty cards like BSG/Dead of Winter/Dark Moon.

The only one I can think of is Red November, which gives one player the opportunity to bail on the team in hopes that the ship sinks leaving them the only survivor.

Are there any other games that involve a traitor that appears during the game through chance or choice?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there's the whole semi-coop idea. This thread will tell you much more than you want to know about them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is Betrayal at House on the Hill, of course, where the traitor is effectively randomly selected in the middle of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Warrender
United States
Averill Park
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't go wrong with the original, Verräter

(I would say that at this point, "hidden traitors" are nearing "done to death" territory. Unsolicited suggestion, think instead about a thematic context in which players might have divergent and/or shifting loyalty, and how to motivate them to evaluate and act on those loyalties beyond simplistic "I betray the team and switch loyalties!"; sounds like this may be your intention anyway...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Grisham

Indiana
msg tools
mb
There is Coup: Reformation, in which a player can use a turn to change the faction of any player. Strategic manipulation of the factions can ensure that you are not one of the possible targets when another player has to strike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.