BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Anything interesting for gamers in Shanghai, China? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: flgs [+] asia [+] [View All]
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
We'll be in Shanghai the whole of next week and lots of time on our hands, so we would appreciate BGGers pointing us to anything interesting related to gaming such as:

1) Any shops selling euro games?

2) Any good chinese games not found outside of China (language not a problem).

3) Any game components, etc, that we can pick up?

4) Any gamers/cafes where we can join for some games?

Since a lot of games are now being produced in China, including many miniatures, I'm curious where we could find these in Shanghai?

Thanks a million!

We will be staying in downtown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
Calling all gamers in China, where are you?

Would appreciate someone pointing me to game stores, games in chinese, gamers, places to buy components, etc in Shanghai!

Publishers who publish their games in China, would love to hear from you if there is anyone in Shanghai doing anything for you?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Lee
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm an avid gamer and I will be travelling to Shanghai for work this Saturday. I'll be there for 4 weeks. It's great to hear from a BGG'er who will be in Shanghai as well! I don't know of the places that you are speaking of yet but now that you've got my attention, I'll be sure to look out for them.

Send me a msg - lets keep in touch

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
Hey Mikey,

Unfortunately I leave tonight, arrive tomorrow (Tuesday) morning and leave on Sunday, so I'm gonna miss you by a hair!

My search of gamers from China showed a lot of registered gamers, but noone has replied to my post ;(

Looks like I'm gonna end up empty handed after all... but if I do find something interesting, I will definitely email you!

I know for a fact that many RioGrande, FFG, and other games are actually produced in China, but I guess its probably not in/near Shanghai.

Meanwhile, its another 4.5 hours to my flight... and I haven't given up yet on gamers in Shanghai!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prad Lu
China
flag msg tools
I am Chinese and I live in Shanghai for many years. I like board games and card games very much. Unfortunately, I am in States now and will be back in this weekend. But I can answer your questions.
1) There is almost no place in Shanghai selling euro games. There is a new toy store opend at the end of last year, which is in Super Brand Mall(http://www.superbrandmall.com), I hope that you could find some games you want there.
2) Chinese like poker games very much. There are many popular poker games in China, like Land Lord, 80, etc.
4) Unfortunately, there is no formal cafes that you can always find board games there. I play couple of board games with my colleagues and friends.
If you have chance to go to Shanghai next time, I am very glad to play with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
DISASTER IN SHANGHAI?

Hi Prad, thanks for your post. Unfortunately, I left Shanghai this afternoon and did not have any luck finding anything close to euro games!

As an overview, I am sad that many great games are now manufactured in China, but none actually available for sale there! Given the negligible shipping cost to get it from the factories to the major cities like Shanghai, I'm really at a loss why none have actually made it there! The same goes for most other goods (clothes, bags, shoes, etc). Instead, almost all the beautiful shopping malls carry almost identical goods, many with brand names that sound similar to the real thing (I'm assuming here that the established brands didnt copy the names from the Chinese to begin with).

Here's a rundown of my experience:
- Checked out WOTC websites and google/yahoo search and found Friday Night Magic at two stores in Shanghai: Shanghai Magic & Hobby Store, and Shanghai Magic Card store. I was curious to see how much Star Wars collectible miniatures cost, since they are all made in China. My many phone calls went unanswered and a RMB30 taxi ride to the listed address brought me to a very run down 2nd floor store selling custom made mahjong tables! The occupants (who also lived there) had no idea about the previous occupants! I had no success in finding the address of the other store!

- Went to Toys R Us at Superbrandmall. Only mainstream Hasbro games like Monopoly, Risk and Clue. Nothing interesting at all. No CCGs, CMGs, etc. Fortunately the long ride to Pudong was worth the while as I got a great view of the buildings where Tom Cruise leaped across in Mission Impossible!

- Went to Children's World in Nanjing Lu (opposite Pizza Hut) as it was the largest children's/toy store in town. Again, standard Hasbro games. Even a good copy of "Go" was nowhere to be found. But guess what I did find... an extremely cheap plastic version of Arbos! Assuming this was a copy of the lovely wooden version by the German company M+A Spiele, it was all of RMB60! Arbos retails at EUR25 (or about RMB230+)! I doubt if anyone in China even knows that this game won the Spiel des Jahres sometime back!

- Finally went to the children's department of at least 5 huge shopping malls/department stores... all nothing different.

I even went to the "fake goods market" hoping to find AT43, Star Wars or some miniatures amongst all the branded handbags, etc, but no such luck. I could not even find dice or CCGs!!!

I finally gave up on Saturday (after 5 days of searching) and would really like to know where the many Chinese gamers on BGG get their games.

Hope to game with you the next time I get there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prad Lu
China
flag msg tools
I can't find any euro games in Shanghai either. When I was back from States last week, I reserved a lot of space for board games in my luggage. I bought Bang, Catan, Leonardo Da Vinci and wow cards because I can't find them in Shanghai even if most of them are made in China. I think some factories in several provinces near seashore are making game components for euro and states game companies. But they don’t know what the products will be because what they make is only part of the games.

Most of guys here don’t know what real board games are because they don’t have chance to experience such kind of games. I like playing board game because I work for a video game company here. This is part of my job and my boss in States is a big board game fan so that I have chance to learn what board games are and love them quickly. I think the guys here will love board games like me when they have chance to play it. How to introduce board games to young guys here, this is what I consider now.

Hope to have chance to talk with you and play board games with you in Shanghai.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smuggles
China
Shanghai
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mac, I went to the same places you did and also gave up. I've lived in Shanghai for two years now. I bought a copy of Rummikub ( yay ) at super brand mall and thats been the only board game I've played recently.

I was on rackham.fr and noticed they have a catalog for China. I went on to find an email list for esteed hobby. The contact information for esteed hobby can be found here http://www.hpiracing.co.jp/contents_asia/meethpi/asia/index....
They also have a website www.esteedhobby.com but its still under construction. I emailed them today to see whats going on. When they reply I can let you all know. If someone has already done this and I just missed it on the forums, please direct me. Thanks.

If enough people are interested in board games in Shanghai, someone should start a business. I heard from a friend it's relatively easy, you just to part with 100,000rmb and fill out a ton of paperwork. I would love to come to the aid of everyone and start selling boardgames in Shanghai myself, but I'm a recent graduate and have zero money

If anyone does organize a board game group, my girlfriend and I would be happy to join!

Edit: I just went to the website. It is up, but I can't read zhongwen that well.

zai lai Edit: Seems the website likes remote control cars more than boardgames... soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
Check this out if you looking to buy games and ship it to China...

http://web.mac.com/imagine_newszine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Munson
United States
Forest
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://en.gameharbor.com.cn/?cat=7
You can find all kinds of good games in Shanghai if you know where to look. I visit the Game Harbor, which is an online store here in China, but they will allow you to look through their stock. Just went this last weekend for some Christmas shopping with friends and they had in a new shipment of recent games like Tobago, Forbidden Island, Ticket to Ride (Nordic, European, and Marklin). Very large selection and the prices are comparable to the US. These games are all in English too. Here is the website with address. Take a taxi to the building and head up to the 14th floor. Do not expect signs until you get up to the floor. I usually call ahead to let them know I am coming:
http://en.gameharbor.com.cn/index.php/2010/05/contact-us/

There are also knock-off games available in YuYuan market on the third floor at a small booth. I have seen Small World, Stone Age, Power Grid, and Dixit there to name a few. Rules are in Chinese and there is always something a bit different in each game, thus the highly reduced prices. This is probably black market games. I now avoid this since I can get good English versions in Game Harbor.

I hear there is a good store near People's Square, but I have not been to that one yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
That's exactly been my experience bobrulez! You need to know where to look. Word of mouth and all that. Taobao (http://www.taobao.com) is also pretty good for that. I don't speak (or read) Chinese. But just type in Puerto Rico, or what not, there, and you'll find tons of places that sell the games we'd be looking for. Find a shop that's selling the games you want, then have a Chinese friend order it for you, making sure in advance that the copies are in English. Voila!

I see Blokus Duo for 15 yuan, Power Grid for 40 yuan. Etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls