Popular Tags: Math_Trades [+] [View All]
Carol Carpenter
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since these issues weren’t fully covered in Lindsey’s math trade guide, I thought I’d summarize them here.

AFTER THE MATH TRADE
What to do once the results have been posted.

1. Usually the moderator will declare a time when the results are considered officially free of errors and it is safe to start making trade proposals. If the moderator does not do this, it can be assumed that anywhere from 12-24 hours later, the results stand as posted.

2. A geek gold tip for the moderator is always nice, but if you are short on GG, a post on the forum list thanking the moderator for his/her work is always welcome.

3. Make sure that all the games you are trading are listed as “For Trade” in your collection.

4. It is acceptable to make a trade proposal either way—to the person who will receive your game, or to the person who will send you a game.

5. Once a trade proposal has been accepted, it will show up in Trade Manager in your “Requires Your Shipping” section whether or not you need to ship. Most people are aware of this glitch, so you can send a notice that you have shipped an item to clear this item out of your trade manager. Simply leave the message blank or put a short note such as “One way math trade, I am not shipping.”

6. Once the trade proposal has been accepted, please delete the game from your trade list!

7. You will also see that Trade Manager lists all trades as “Requires Feedback from You” even if you just shipping a trade. If you choose to leave feedback for someone who is receiving your game, do NOT leave a Neutral unless there is a problem. In most cases, leave a Positive to indicate a smooth transaction.

8. Shipping a game with delivery confirmation/a tracking number is highly recommended.

EXTRA TIPS

• Before sending a trade proposal, I recommend checking the (hopefully) published want lists for any games of yours that went untraded. I do this by using “Find” on my browser for the game number. If Mortimer had one or more of your untraded games on his want list(s), you could then send Mortimer a geekmail noting this, and possibly set up an additional trade.

• I also recommend checking the Wants and For Trade sections in the profile of any user to whom you are already sending a game. If you are already sending Hortensia a game, sending another in the same package that she wants often adds only a few dollars to the shipping cost, and saves you a future trip to the post office. If you see a potential trade, send Hortensia a geekmail first and you may set up an additional trade. (Be aware of course that several of the games in Hortensia’s For Trade section may have just been traded.)

• Send separate trade proposals for any side additional trades you make, even if you are mailing them at the same time. It lessens confusion about which are the math trade items, and it allows for separate feedback on each item.

• What to do about UNWANTED or UNTRADED items. Just because your item did not trade in a math trade, does not mean it won’t ever trade. Keep entering it in more math trades. However, if after several math trades, you notice your item never ends up on anyone’s want lists, you should either combine it with other games to make a more desirable lot, or realize you may have a game on your hands that needs to go to up in a Geek Auction or be given away to charity. Remember that since each person in a trade ends up paying $5 to $15 shipping in addition to giving away a game, he/she is going to factor that into whether it is worth it to receive your game.

• Certain types of games typically may not do well in general math trades, but are more appropriate for a specific math trade just for “second string” games, children’s games, war games, collectible card games, etc. If you cannot run a trade like this yourself, suggest one in the Trade Forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done, Carol!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent suggestions. I hadn't thought of searching the want lists for games that went untraded. Very nice!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
High Level
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Good post, thanks for the advice and tips... especially helpful for the Mathtrade newbies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very well done, Carol. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glauco bacchi
United Kingdom
coventry
West Mids
flag msg tools
Hi. Thanks for the guide. Mention is made of Trade Manager but how to find the Manager is not explained.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If you choose to leave feedback for someone who is receiving your game, do NOT leave a Neutral unless there is a problem. In most cases, leave a Positive to indicate a smooth transaction.

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Biddick
United States
Moxee
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How long do you wait for shipping notification before inquiring regarding anticipated shipping time from the sender? 3 days, a week, 2 weeks?

until a weekend has passed since the MT closed, to allow for a sender who cannot ship during the work week?

( was everyone this antsy awaiting the shipment on their first math trade? )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This should be stickied/pinned.

Just finished a math trade and have a dozen people to contact... this helped me see a smooth way to handle it. Thank you.

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
how to handle after math trade gift certs and/or cash you received...

Cash Value Trades in Math Trades (and how to make a geek market listing for them)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls