Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there everyone!

We have had a lot of new members join the guild lately and I just wanted to say a few words to all of you.

I am reverendunclebastard, also known as Steve! I want to make it clear that I am not any kind of official representative for the guild, just a guy who has been posting here for a couple of years (my anniversary is in May!). I love this place and consider many of my fellow posters to be friends even though we have never met in person. I have also found a few real-life friends and gaming partners through participating here. Consider this post an attempt to keep the wonderful culture of the 1PG alive and well.

First order of business is to say welcome to the guild, one of the best corners of the internet!

We have cultivated a unique and welcoming community here, and I just wanted to point out a few things that will help you with your stay here. This is a free-wheeling and fun place with no rules other than the "Golden" one of treating others well, but a few guidelines help all of us enjoy ourselves.

1 - Have respect for your fellow guild members!

2 - We have had a noticeable and welcome influx of women into the guild, so please refrain from comments (i.e. sexist jokes, boob photos, Busen Memo posts etc.) that make them feel unwelcome.

3 - There are a wide-variety of beliefs and cultures represented here, while it is more than ok to reference your faith/politics where relevant, please don't be dismissive of those whose beliefs differ from yours. This is one of the few places on the internet where we manage not to devolve into arguments over religion and politics. Let's try and keep it that way.

4 - Unsurprisingly, given that almost 7% of the general population experiences it on any given year, we have many members that have struggled with depression. Some of these members (including myself) will occasionally post about their struggles with depression or other disabilities. These are valuable conversations that have helped a lot of us deal with our own issues. When people post these threads, please be gentle and supportive. They have become a valuable part of the guild. If these discussions are not your cup of tea, just ignore them rather than post antagonistic comments.

5 - We are all human and make mistakes, so let's not judge each other too harshly when we occasionally step out of line.

6 - There is a delightful absence of, for lack of a better term, "nerd rage" here. If you find yourself angered up by something, take a moment to think before posting if your post is constructive or meant to be hurtful. Disagreement is welcome (just post about your love of Mage Knight or Hunters: German U-boats and you will see what I mean) but hostility is not.

7 - Have fun and make friends!

Sorry if this came across as preachy at all, rest assured it is not the intent. Just an attempt to help maintain the awesome community vibe here that so many of us enjoy.

Cheers,
The Rev!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuhns, party of four!
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well said Steve!

Let's keep this the best place on the internet to hang out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Hey, you're touching my face...
mbmbmbmbmb
The nerd rage rule is a tough one. I've seen people actually post negative things about Gears of War: The Board Game.

Don't put me in that position people. Just don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Should also say to the newbie who might by put off by its inclusion that, in my experience, guild members aren't the type that need to be reminded of Rule 2 even among their fellows offline. Purely a preventative against any other newbies who maybe aren't so inclined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesus Berjano
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice words

I'll make my first anniversary in June this year within BGG and this guild, and little by little I've become a bit more active. Great place indeed and with greater people

My only recommendation is to hide your wallet before asking about what game you should buy whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zack dreak
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This should stay up in the front page
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I might be Brain though
United Kingdom
Gateshead
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles...
mbmbmbmbmb
Well said Rev (for some reason I don't feel able to call you Steve ).

I don't post anything elsewhere on the whole interweb but I do here.

It's for all the reasons you mention.

Continue being awesome everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Gaidos
United States
Molalla
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am new to the guild and happy that my experience has been all positive. Thank you for the reminder to keep the guild a great place to gather.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheUbiquitous wrote:
Should also say to the newbie who might by put off by its inclusion that, in my experience, guild members aren't the type that need to be reminded of Rule 2 even among their fellows offline. Purely a preventative against any other newbies who maybe aren't so inclined.

Definitely! For the most part it isn't an issue, but very occasionally someone (usually a newbie but not always) needs to be reminded of this. Recently though the guild and SGOYT have been impressively inclusive to all our members.

On that note, if anyone does feel uncomfortable about a posting and does not wish to address it themselves, send me a GM and I will happily find a friendly way to point it out to the OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joestin wrote:
The nerd rage rule is a tough one. I've seen people actually post negative things about Gears of War: The Board Game.

Don't put me in that position people. Just don't.

Your restraint in those moments is truly admirable!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garyrbrooks wrote:
Who's Steve???
Sorry, I missed out on the Who's Gary bit...

Thanks for the post Rev. Nice for newbs and a good reminder for all. Let's keep this the friendliest place on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
uniconfis wrote:
garyrbrooks wrote:
Who's Steve???
Sorry, I missed out on the Who's Gary bit...

Thanks for the post Rev. Nice for newbs and a good reminder for all. Let's keep this the friendliest place on BGG.

Given that r.u.b. is my musical stage name, there are a remarkable number of people on the internet and in the "real" world who don't know my real name. I felt like it was time to let my fellow 1PGers in on my secret identity...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Steve and everyone else. I have been on BGG a few years now, but just joined the guild and am learning about it. It is great!!!work often 60-80 hours a week and have very little free time so solo gaming is the way for me to go and it is very nice to see some familiar "faces" of like minded individuals and being able to engage in friendly discussion without all the drama. I only post on BGG and the comment sections of the few kickstarters I support.

Take care everyone and have a great day!

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty "TIRED" Malone
United States
Mansfield
Texas
flag msg tools
Knowledge is light
badge
Be the Change
mbmbmbmbmb
Well said Rev. I have been feeling the same way recently about some threads going on here.

Everyone, please remember the red x on the post. You can red x and hide any post and I think there are repercussions if someone receives too many red x button pushes... not sure though.

I have had to red x only twice in my history with the guild and that has been going on two years.

Keep it real people. We are here for the games and the people here.

My mantra is that if it harms no others, say what you will but always be aware of intended or unintended harm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evans VOTSIOS
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
badge
Made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs.
mbmbmbmbmb
As a new member of the guild i have to say that from my experience everyone here is very polite and helpful. And that's something you can't find anywhere... thank you for your warm welcome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maloma wrote:
Well said Rev. I have been feeling the same way recently about some threads going on here.

Everyone, please remember the red x on the post. You can red x and hide any post and I think there are repercussions if someone receives too many red x button pushes... not sure though.

Too many red x button pushes can lead to a) a warning email suggesting you delete the post, b) a temporary suspension of access to BGG, c) permanent deletion of the users account.

The primary thing it will do initially is hide the users posts from you.

I have rarely used the x in the 1pg or sgoyt, personally I prefer to GM the user and talk about it, but the x is always an option if someone is behaving badly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Morrise
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
Hey there everyone!

We have had a lot of new members join the guild lately and I just wanted to say a few words to all of you.
Thanks, Steve, for these suggested guidelines. I support them. And welcome to all those who are new!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard of Gary, but who's Steve?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Koenig
Germany
Fuerth
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
Tom is crazy!
mbmbmbmbmb
michael4928 wrote:
... engage in friendly discussion without all the drama.

I want that on a shirt !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Rev. Well said again.

Be well, All. Be respectful. And enjoy.

Mo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rev,

Great post ~ and I'll simply echo what Jake had mentioned earlier in that what you've written should definitely be on the front page...and given the amount of vitriol I've seen, it's about time.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzy Vitale
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
When empty, please refill with tea.
mbmbmbmbmb
Preach it, Rev!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Murphy
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Fore!
mbmbmbmbmb
fractaloon wrote:

Sorry, I've never heard of any of these people...

As for you, Rev, right on. When I first came here a couple years ago, I said it felt like being back in one of those hobby clubs I was part of in the 90s.

(In my Grandpa Simpson voice: "Kids, there was a time before the Internet where we had to talk about and engage in our shared interests in person. No really! We had social responsibility for our own behavior and the well being of the group...

And we had to do it all uphill in the snow.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fractaloon wrote:

Two RL names to remember . . . now I've forgotten one of my kids names.

So say we all, Rev.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Heisenberg
Spain
Death Star
A galaxy far, far away
flag msg tools
"Apology accepted, Captain Needa."
badge