Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
1 Player Guild
badge
Breaker of Wallets
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the most useful and slightly amended piece of advice is: "Hide your wallet from Jessica!" I am notorious for destroying them. And posting too many cute pictures of little animal figures with board games. Just run far, far away from anything related to me. Ha ha!

But indeed, this is the friendliest place online I've ever come across. I was nervous about diving in, yet it's just so happy, positive, and welcoming around here! Have a great time exploring!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marit Alanen
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hello everyone!

About 2 months ago I fell down the rabbit hole. That is, the rabbit hole of solo (and to some extent co-op) board games. I had no clue before then that the concept of anything outside of regular 52-card solitaire or old-school competitive games like Monopoly existed, nor any idea how deep this rabbit hole could go.

At that time my game shelf looked about like this:

Some old games I don't play much any more, a couple sets of poker chips (which my husband will play), and Catan (which he won't). I even got the 5-6 player expansion for Catan, hoping I'd find friends to play with (which I didn't), and the 2-player card version of Catan, thinking I could find at least one person to play (which I also didn't).

Flash forward to today:

I am deep deep deep down this rabbit hole, and loving every minute of it. I'm completely fascinated by the creativity and game mechanics that exist in this world, and am slowly learning the lingo (like "game mechanics"). I'm starting to discover that I seem to enjoy "dice chucking" more than "deck building" (although I'm hoping that might change once my brain understands the concepts more), and "worker placement" and "RPG" games are up my alley, although I'd like to submerse myself more in the stories -- maybe once I don't have to concentrate so hard playing some of these I can let the storylines wash over me (I'm looking at you, Undertow). One Deck Dungeon will forever have a special place in my heart as my first solo game purchase and introduction to the "dungeon crawl" (which I also love).

I've also never been one to write reviews or post in forums before...like, ever (in fact, it took me a while to figure out how to post here, and I'm not entirely sure I'm doing it correctly). So the fact I'm so excited about this passion that I want to get involved in the conversation is startling even to me. I've found that BGG is now my happy place, and when I stumbled on 1 Player Guild today, I thought "okay, I think I've found my people...here I go."

So thanks ever so much for this forum, and I'm really looking forward to joining you all (from the comfort and privacy of my own home)!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Terebayza
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Marit! Think you nailed it...this place is awesome. Welcome to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marit Alanen
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thank you so much! Super excited to be here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JW van der Meulen
Netherlands
Almere
flag msg tools
www.solitairetimes.net
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome Marit. That's an impressive game shelf! Some very nice games you've got there. Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marit Alanen
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks, JW! I can totally see how hanging out here might cost me a few (more) paychecks.

There are a few PnP games hiding in there (A4 Quest, Pocket Civ, Zombies in My Pocket) -- hoping PnPs in general might mitigate (some of) the financial damage...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JW van der Meulen
Netherlands
Almere
flag msg tools
www.solitairetimes.net
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PnPs are cool, yes. They offer a nice way to find out if a theme or mechanic works for you. And some of them of course are simply brilliant. I am particularly amazed how creative designers can be with just a few components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Winning
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome aboard Marit! You’ve certainly come to the right place. Even if you don’t post session reports yourself, head on over to SGOYT (Solitaire Games on Your Table). You can really find out about a lot of great games, and what what you might like or dislike. I find that reading some people’s thoughts over there can be way more informative than a formal review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuhns, party of four!
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome Marit! The creativity of designers is what blew me away when I first discovered this place 6 years ago. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Redheaded Pharmacist
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome Marit! This is a great guild. Glad you could join us. Nice collection by the way. I see a lot of overlap with mine! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. @kinson
United States
Grant
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome aboard, Marit! Be sure to check out the monthly SGOYT geeklists... on second thought maybe not
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A M
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome Marit! Nice gaming shelf - I love that you can now see it bending slightly from the weight of the new games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty "TIRED" Malone
United States
Mansfield
Texas
flag msg tools
Knowledge is light
badge
Be the Change
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome. Seriously know that this guild will answer and help at any time. It is an amazing community that has been established.

Don't get over whelmed.

My first suggestion is to subscribe to the guild so that new posts ping and you can follow along with current talks as you wish. You go to the guild main page and upper right lets you subscribe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
1 Player Guild
badge
Breaker of Wallets
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome aboard, Marit! This is an absolutely wonderful community, and I hope you enjoy getting acquainted with everyone. Things are always happy and helpful around here... Aside from the damage done to our wallets. Ha ha!

Should you ever need help or recommendations, there are a ton of friendly people willing to help out around here. Have a great time, and once again, welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie Ann Glaz-Bopp
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome Marit, nice to see your growing collection!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marit Alanen
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thank you all so much, everyone! I can't wait to explore this site more, and really look forward to seeing what everyone is doing and enjoying and learning more about the solo gaming world. Hopefully my wallet can handle it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Larkin
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Carroll
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have subscribed to the guild. I have hundreds of games (over 30 years of gathering them), but find less and less time to play with others, so I have started to explore solo games.

I have been enjoying the various discussions. Despite being a solo gamer, I hope to meet-up with some of you at conventions. Origins anyone?
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Arnold
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome! You should git yerself an avatar!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome David!

One more dave. One more dave. One more dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuhns, party of four!
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
typo360 wrote:
Welcome David!

One more dave. One more dave. One more dave

Yes! Contrary to Dr Seuss you can never have too many Daves
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Matthew
Philippines
flag msg tools