Recommend
206 
 Thumb up
 Hide
762 Posts
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [31] | 

1 Player guild» Forums » General

Subject: A Friendly Word for New Members of the Guild! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Herodotus Halicarnassus
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If I may...

There are many people that are especially leery of the admonition to speak thoughtfully and avoid offending others at this present time. I read your post in the spirit in which you no doubt made it, but for many, it carries a deeper meaning.

Let me illustrate. An anecdote claims that Henry Ford said of the Model T, "You can have any color you want, as long as it's black." In many "safe" spaces on the internet today, everyone is welcome...unless you're not. Everyone is free to express an opinion...unless it's the wrong opinion.

I am not (and that "not" is adamant) saying that's the case here. I'm simply trying to explain why some people might look at what you view as an innocuous post and say "Oh, they're trying to tell me what to believe here, too." Because there are many, many places where that exact sort of thing occurs. The sense I get from your post is that you DON'T want that to happen here, which I can respect.

Peace.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
maloma wrote:
Needs a Poll

Poll
Should Andy get Mage Knight?
yes
nah
      42 answers
Poll created by maloma

Nice! And thanks for your words of encouragement Marty! After a nice long walk in the sunshine I am feeling much more myself. I do believe my sense of humour has returned...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Herodotus Herodotus wrote:
If I may...

There are many people that are especially leery of the admonition to speak thoughtfully and avoid offending others at this present time. I read your post in the spirit in which you no doubt made it, but for many, it carries a deeper meaning.

Let me illustrate. An anecdote claims that Henry Ford said of the Model T, "You can have any color you want, as long as it's black." In many "safe" spaces on the internet today, everyone is welcome...unless you're not. Everyone is free to express an opinion...unless it's the wrong opinion.

I am not (and that "not" is adamant) saying that's the case here. I'm simply trying to explain why some people might look at what you view as an innocuous post and say "Oh, they're trying to tell me what to believe here, too." Because there are many, many places where that exact sort of thing occurs. The sense I get from your post is that you DON'T want that to happen here, which I can respect.

Peace.

You have my intentions partly correct. I am not trying to tell anyone what to believe, but I am asking that people respect the differences that are present here in this unique guild. I will rephrase a quote from your post to illustrate better what I mean.

"Everyone is free to express an opinion in the 1PG unless it is hurtful to someone else."

or more succinctly:

"Try not to be a jerk."

I am hoping that that is something we can agree on.

There is a reason that this guild has a more diverse membership in regards to gender, orientation, faith, politics and gaming preferences than any other guild or forum I have found on this site, or anywhere on the internet for that matter. In spite of our differences, a little respect for each other and a lot of humour have allowed us to form an amazing, supportive community and has started some unlikely friendships.

We have men and women, Christians and Atheists, Buddhists and Agnostics, gay and straight, Euro and Ameritrash fans, Brits and Americans, Justin and anyone who doesn't like Gears of War, and many others who fit none of these categories but are beautiful people all the same, all coming together to discuss the awesomeness of solo gaming. That is a truly beautiful thing.

People can believe anything they want, I have no say or interest in that. But for those who wish to say anything they want, hurtful, offensive or otherwise, the ever considerate BGG hosts the RSP forums where anyone can truly say anything (Seriously, it is wild over there).

I, for one, hope we can keep the 1PG lively, freewheeling, occasionally argumentative and respectful all at the same time.

Given our good taste in hobbies I am confident we can pull off this difficult task together

Cheers,
The Rev
22 
 Thumb up
1.50
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuhns, party of four!
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:

"Try not to be a jerk."

I am hoping that that is something we can agree on.

There is a reason that this guild has a more diverse membership in regards to gender, orientation, faith, politics and gaming preferences than any other guild or forum I have found on this site, or anywhere on the internet for that matter. In spite of our differences, a little respect for each other and a lot of humour have allowed us to form an amazing, supportive community and has started some unlikely friendships.

We have men and women, Christians and Atheists, Buddhists and Agnostics, gay and straight, Euro and Ameritrash fans, Brits and Americans, Justin and anyone who doesn't like Gears of War, and many others who fit none of these categories but are beautiful people all the same, all coming together to discuss the awesomeness of solo gaming. That is a truly beautiful thing.

Cheers Rev. This is what I love so much about this guild. Cheers all!

2 great men once said, "Be excellent to each other." I think we can do that.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United States
flag msg tools
Dino DNA!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
maloma wrote:
Needs a Poll

Poll
Should Andy get Mage Knight?
yes
nah
      42 answers
Poll created by maloma

Nice! And thanks for your words of encouragement Marty! After a nice long walk in the sunshine I am feeling much more myself. I do believe my sense of humour has returned...

Neat! I commend the two voters who weren't pressured by Mage knight group think I'm still working through my 10xSeSo. Maybe by the time that's done the new Star Trek retheme of Mage knight will be out!
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzy Vitale
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
When empty, please refill with tea.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
davekuhns wrote:
2 great men once said, "Be excellent to each other." I think we can do that.
Air guitars!
9 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United States
flag msg tools
Dino DNA!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
"Try not to be a jerk."

So now you have a problem with people who are jerks? Doesn't sound like a very inclusive attitude to me!

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bach
United States
Rocky Hill
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
I'm Bach!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Say what you mean. Mean what you say. Don't say it meanly.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzy Vitale
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
When empty, please refill with tea.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pjandy wrote:
reverendunclebastard wrote:
"Try not to be a jerk."

So now you have a problem with people who are jerks? Doesn't sound like a very inclusive attitude to me!

8 
 Thumb up
0.10
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pjandy wrote:
reverendunclebastard wrote:
maloma wrote:
Needs a Poll

Poll
Should Andy get Mage Knight?
yes
nah
      42 answers
Poll created by maloma

Nice! And thanks for your words of encouragement Marty! After a nice long walk in the sunshine I am feeling much more myself. I do believe my sense of humour has returned...

Neat! I commend the two voters who weren't pressured by Mage knight group think I'm still working through my 10xSeSo. Maybe by the time that's done the new Star Trek retheme of Mage knight will be out!
As always, I will stand resolute in my attempt to hold back the Cult of Mage Knight.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hunt
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Ryanmobile wrote:
Pjandy wrote:
reverendunclebastard wrote:
maloma wrote:
Needs a Poll

Poll
Should Andy get Mage Knight?
yes
nah
      42 answers
Poll created by maloma

Nice! And thanks for your words of encouragement Marty! After a nice long walk in the sunshine I am feeling much more myself. I do believe my sense of humour has returned...

Neat! I commend the two voters who weren't pressured by Mage knight group think I'm still working through my 10xSeSo. Maybe by the time that's done the new Star Trek retheme of Mage knight will be out!
As always, I will stand resolute in my attempt to hold back the Cult of Mage Knight.

Submit!! Come over to the dark side brother, we have cake.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The cake is a lie.
8 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United States
flag msg tools
Dino DNA!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheUbiquitous wrote:
The cake is a lie.


via https://www.pinterest.com/pin/218002438185246880/
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marita Hipolito
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As a newbie to games and to subscribing to a guild, thank you for a warm welcome. As I'm looking for good solitaire games for people new to the hobby, I am glad to take the plunge and join a guild. As a newbie, I'll probably sit back and listen to others' posts and forums.

If I ever cross the line or what have you, it'll be due to ignorance, so please whoever it is, just GM me rather than red check, or else I won't know what I did wrong.

I don't know my way around or all the people here, but it seems I've found an open, accepting place based on Rev or Steve's post and everyone's comments. People post about understanding, the tricky topics, and respect towards people's opinions, bad days and lists that tempt my wallet. I am glad that I am joining such a sensible and sensitive guild of gamers.
12 
 Thumb up
8.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mhipolito wrote:
As a newbie to games and to subscribing to a guild, thank you for a warm welcome. As I'm looking for good solitaire games for people new to the hobby, I am glad to take the plunge and join a guild. As a newbie, I'll probably sit back and listen to others' posts and forums.

If I ever cross the line or what have you, it'll be due to ignorance, so please whoever it is, just GM me rather than red check, or else I won't know what I did wrong.

I don't know my way around or all the people here, but it seems I've found an open, accepting place based on Rev or Steve's post and everyone's comments. People post about understanding, the tricky topics, and respect towards people's opinions, bad days and lists that tempt my wallet. I am glad that I am joining such a sensible and sensitive guild of gamers.

Welcome!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty "TIRED" Malone
United States
Mansfield
Texas
flag msg tools
Knowledge is light
badge
Be the Change
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mhipolito wrote:
As a newbie to games and to subscribing to a guild, thank you for a warm welcome. As I'm looking for good solitaire games for people new to the hobby, I am glad to take the plunge and join a guild. As a newbie, I'll probably sit back and listen to others' posts and forums.

If I ever cross the line or what have you, it'll be due to ignorance, so please whoever it is, just GM me rather than red check, or else I won't know what I did wrong.

I don't know my way around or all the people here, but it seems I've found an open, accepting place based on Rev or Steve's post and everyone's comments. People post about understanding, the tricky topics, and respect towards people's opinions, bad days and lists that tempt my wallet. I am glad that I am joining such a sensible and sensitive guild of gamers.

Now go get a microbadge... and welcome
6 
 Thumb up
8.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
maloma wrote:
mhipolito wrote:
As a newbie to games and to subscribing to a guild, thank you for a warm welcome. As I'm looking for good solitaire games for people new to the hobby, I am glad to take the plunge and join a guild. As a newbie, I'll probably sit back and listen to others' posts and forums.

If I ever cross the line or what have you, it'll be due to ignorance, so please whoever it is, just GM me rather than red check, or else I won't know what I did wrong.

I don't know my way around or all the people here, but it seems I've found an open, accepting place based on Rev or Steve's post and everyone's comments. People post about understanding, the tricky topics, and respect towards people's opinions, bad days and lists that tempt my wallet. I am glad that I am joining such a sensible and sensitive guild of gamers.

Now go get a microbadge... and welcome

I've got to say I almost want to found "The Sensible and Sensitive Guild of Gamers"! What a great turn of phrase.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marita Hipolito
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Maloma for the gold, and once I figure out how to get a microbadge, I will proudly wear one. It's on my to do list for tomorrow.

And I will fill in more info in my profile, now that I have committed to exploring this hobby, especially according the many games I have purchased as a new convert. Picky point: Are the games I will (eventually) list mean that I have played them or that I own them? I played some of them but I'm still trying to figure out the rules and any possible solo variants.

But now I know what Eurotrash and Ameritrash means (which can sound different to non-gamer ears the first time!).
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marita Hipolito
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Awww...shucks. I have a weakness for alliteration.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Here's some info on microbadges: https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Microbadge

As for listing games - if you mean listing them in your collection on BGG, it depends on what checkbox you tick. You can mark them as owned, or preordered, or you can also log a play without marking them as owned, if you played someone else's copy. https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/collection# has more info.
4 
 Thumb up
0.03
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Something else: https://boardgamegeek.com/user/mhipolito/geekstuff shows how much you have. Apparently you've been gifted enough to also buy yourself an avatar, if you'd like one: https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/avatar
4 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty "TIRED" Malone
United States
Mansfield
Texas
flag msg tools
Knowledge is light
badge
Be the Change
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You click on the owned tab just to add it to your collection. If you choose to log plays then there is a spot to log games and there is an app for BGG that you can use to add games to your collection and log games as well. Just depends on what you are looking to do.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marita Hipolito
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


Thanks for the very helpful advice. I am still learning my way around the BGG and the FAQ, but I have since gotten some GG, some microbadges and an avatar. I am happy to say that some of my purchases have been guided by prior 1Player Guild posts and Geeklists. This was when I committed my wallet yet I was unsure about the BGG community. Now I have filled the blanks on my profile and collection.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty "TIRED" Malone
United States
Mansfield
Texas
flag msg tools
Knowledge is light
badge
Be the Change
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mhipolito wrote:


Thanks for the very helpful advice. I am still learning my way around the BGG and the FAQ, but I have since gotten some GG, some microbadges and an avatar. I am happy to say that some of my purchases have been guided by prior 1Player Guild posts and Geeklists. This was when I committed my wallet yet I was unsure about the BGG community. Now I have filled the blanks on my profile and collection.

Now go to the top of the 1 player guild page and join. Then subscribe to stuff and enjoy the ride. Share, comment, post and bask in the nicest place on the planet to play solo board games with other people. It is wonderful.
7 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mhipolito wrote:
Awww...shucks. I have a weakness for alliteration.
Surely a weird weakness for wacky wordplay!

And hi folks - just joined this guild (at last).
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [31] |