Popular Tags: flgs [+] nyc [+] newyork [+] [View All]
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be in NYC for an academic conference from 3/20-23. From what I've read there is exactly one decent boardgame store. I was wondering if there are any groups that could use an extra player during those days? Many thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Delano
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
craniac wrote:
I will be in NYC for an academic conference from 3/20-23. From what I've read there is exactly one decent boardgame store. I was wondering if there are any groups that could use an extra player during those days? Many thanks!

There's quite a few groups within an hour of Manhattan if you are willing to travel a bit. I believe Neutral Ground still has a group that meets, but I'm not sure when.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mark,

Two decent board game stores that I know of in NYC, and two different groups that I know of, one of which will be meeting while you're here.

Board game stores:

Neutral Ground
http://neutralground.com/
122 West 26th Street, 4th Floor
212-633-1288

Compleat Strategist
http://www.thecompleatstrategist.com/
11 East 33rd Street
212-685-3880

Neutral Ground is larger, but has a smaller selection of eurogames I think, and a larger focus on CCGs. Compleat Strategist is significantly smaller, but I think has a slightly larger selection of eurogames, and a focus more on RPGs and minis. They are both relatively similar and both worth checking out, these are just my perceptions.

Board game groups:

Columbia Strategic Simulation Society
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/csss/
435 West 116th Street
Meets every other Friday from 7pm to approximately 1am.

Boardgame and Card game Meetup
http://boardgames.meetup.com/23/
122 West 26th Street, 4th Floor
Meets every other Thursday from 6pm to Midnight.

Unfortunately the Boardgame Meetup won't have a meeting while you're here from 3/20 to 3/23, but the next CSSS meeting is on Friday, March 23rd, and you're more than welcome to come. It's held at Columbia Law School, but about half of the people who attend have no affiliation with the University, it's open to the public. If you do decide to come though, then send me a GeekMail so I can give you more specific directions for how to find the room, and you might need my cell number to get let in if you come after the doors require an ID card to swipe in. Anyway, don't let that dissuade you from coming if you're interested. You can see the kind of games we play by looking at past events on the website, but it's generally standard BGG favorites.

Have a good trip
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several amorphous informal groups in Brooklyn, all of the ones I know about are connected in some way to "sisteray" (Morgan Dontanville). Dropping him a line could solve all your problems
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me know what your schedule is like.

I really don't think it will be difficult to get at least three or maybe even four good game nights/days in.

You can't swing a cat in Brooklyn without finding someone that wants to play a game with it.

I have to warn you though, if you are opposed to being around drinking and such then you may not want to join us. We don't get wasted or anything, but it is present.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
Let me know what your schedule is like.

I really don't think it will be difficult to get at least three or maybe even four good game nights/days in.

You can't swing a cat in Brooklyn without finding someone that wants to play a game with it.

I have to warn you though, if you are opposed to being around drinking and such then you may not want to join us. We don't get wasted or anything, but it is present.

I've got no problem with demon liquor--your imbibing will give me the advantage I'll need playing against big city gamers

Anyway, my flight arrives at 4pm on Tuesday, and other than a 5:30-7:30 dinner on Thursday 3/22 I am free Tuesday-Friday although I may not be able to game every night as some work dinners might pop up. Also, the husband of a colleague will be in town as well, and he brews his own, so maybe I can get him to come along one night and give you some pointers on drinking and gaming

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Zukerman
United States
Rockville Centre
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That weekend is I-Con if you are sticking around for the weekend. We have a substantial gaming track with board games, rpgs, ccgs, wargames, minis, etc. It's out at the Stonybrook campus Friday night through Sunday evening. Might be worth the trip...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zooks wrote:
That weekend is I-Con if you are sticking around for the weekend. We have a substantial gaming track with board games, rpgs, ccgs, wargames, minis, etc. It's out at the Stonybrook campus Friday night through Sunday evening. Might be worth the trip...

I have to fly out Saturday afternoon. But thank you for pointing out that I will miss seeing Tasha Yar *and* Colonel Wilma Deering!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls