Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Due to rgnet1 scanning in the Buka art and updating the Blue Moon plugin for Lackey, I not only played my first Lackey game tonight with a Buka deck involved, but I played against the Buka (with Flit) for the first time ever. The bonus to playing on Lackey is that I'm now able to piece together this session report from the text log alone, rather than having to record everything by hand like I had to with CardTable.

Now that the game is over, I just wanna say that I find Flit vs. Buka to be an incredibly thought-provoking matchup. There's just so much going on from beginning to end that it took me a while to wrap my mind around it.

Comments are in italics. Without further ado:

Fight 1:

Buka: Rising Sun + BP Unity (3E)

Flit: Squadron Leader Squeak + Launch Rain of Fire + Launch Burning Oil
(7E)

Hoping to get a jump.

Buka: Retreat

Flit 1, Buka 0

Fight 2:

Buka: Sailingmaster Boo Marn (4F)

Flit: Peckswift + Launch FireFlash (5f)

Preparing to lose. Hand full of characters, no boosters left

Buka: Captain Su Cha + Armory (Captain Ariosa Paal loaded onto Rising
Sun) (5F)

Flit: Retreat (letting Peckswift go).

Planned on retreating anyway - being able to bail and get rid of Armory so he can't load ships and/or play bluffs faster is a bonus.

0-0

Fight 3:

Flit: Steepstoop (3E)

Buka: Quartermaster Kura Ko + *face down bluff* (Cannoneer Edilia Paal
loaded onto Rising Sun) (4E)

It's about this time I noticed trying to monitor the bluff cards is a lot more difficult online. You REALLY have to pay attention.

Flit: Wing Commander Razorfeather (4E)

Buka: Sailingmaster Yo Cha + bluff (Coxswain Mora Marn loaded on Rising
Sun) (6E)

Reaching critical mass. I have weapons in my hand to deal with it though, including Highchirp.

Flit: (Retrieve Wing Commander Razorfeather) Tittertweet + Earthwater
(7E)

Tempting him to drop the ship on me despite the fact that Titter will neuter the Coxswain.

Buka: (Lands Rising Sun) Captain Ariosa Paal + Cannoneer Edilia Paal +
Coxswain Mora Marn + bluff (12E)

Went for the bait.

Flit: (Retrieve Tittertweet) Proud Phoenix Phil (0e)

Love it, but I'm laying another trap I'm hoping he doesn't pick up on.

Buka: (Retrieve Ariosa Paal) Captain Ariosa Paal + Duplicator of Fire +
bluff (6E)

My immediate thought was that he was trying to prep for following up with Old Goo Laa's Ghost so he could switch the element so that duplicator actually did something. Can't let THAT happen, right?

Flit: Wing Commander Razorfeather + Launch Burning Earth (7E)

I spring the trap, but it's bittersweet. The character retrieval
rule states that a player can't retrieve his/her retrievable character if the opponent has a retrievable character of his/her own down, so Ariosa Paal is history after this play. The bittersweet part: I can't play Tittertweet and match 6 earth, so I've left the door wide open for Old Goo Laa.

Buka: Old Goo Laa's Ghost + bluff (6F)

Flit: Call Bluff!

Yep, he forgot to ditch the bluff when he switched elements.

Buka: Loses dragon and retreats.

Note: We made a mistake here. Just before I called bluff, I retrieved Wing Commander Razorfeather, which I shouldn't have been able to do since Buka would have had to retreat immediately. Whether it factored in later... you'll see. Timing the bluff calls properly online is a little tricky.

Flit 2, Buka 0.

Fight 4: Looking good, but a lot of the cards I'm waiting for
haven't been showing up and I'm not moving cards as much as
I'd like.

Buka: Boatswain Mena Marn (2F)

Flit: Tittertweet + Launch Flaming Dust (4F)

Buka: B/P Bravery + *face down bluff* (5F)

By this time I'm monitoring the bluffs heavily and it's very possible this is legit.

Flit: Retreat.

Don't recall exactly why I retreated here, 'cept it was in the spirit of not completely hosing my hand.

Flit 1, Buka 0

Fight 5:

Flit: Distract Holy Dragon + Flight Leader Squawk (4E)

Burning the leadership to get cards moving. I can easily keep him from getting to 6 cards with smart play, right? Right?

Buka: Sea Devil (loaded Commodore Lo Tan, B/P Loyalty, and Lookout
Dolora Paal) + Cannoneer Tara Ko (4E)

Damn. Felt like this was my first real mistake as I could have led with Tittertweet to prevent him from loading the ship on playing it.

Flit: (Retrieve Flight Leader Squawk) Flight Leader Squawk (4E)

Baiting. I've still got Highchirp with boosters strong enough that I can counteract the ship dump if I can just get him to make the drop!

Buka: Sea Falcon + Commodore Tai Marn + Letter of Marque (7E)

Flit: (Retrieve Flight Leader Squawk) Retreat.

I deliberated for a few minutes here before I retreated. I almost gambled, but it would have made me dependent on drawing something good from my deck after the play, and I wasn't feeling particularly lucky.

Note I only used one card this entire fight and trying to prep for the ship landing was stagnating my hand.

0-0

Fight 6:

Flit: Tittertweet (2E)

Forced to go earth because the two strong boosters i was holding onto were both in earth... this despite all Buka's fire bluffs being out of the deck now but two of the three earth still floating somewhere. Sucks to be me.

Buka: Entreat Favor (burning it) + B/P Mystery + *face down bluff* (5E)

My opponent accidentally flipped the bluff face up briefly, so I knew it was legit. Now began a series of agonizing decisions, because the presence of the bluff put his total power just out of reach unless I started using the precious boosters I was depending on using with Highchirp to stop the ship.

Flit: Call Bluff!

Intentional, knowing I'd lose but desperately needing to get rid of the bluff to keep my boosters. Then...

Flit: (Retrieve Tittertweet) Wing Commander Razorfeather (4E)

Buka: Powdermaster Yina Ko + *face down bluff* (5E)

ARGH, that 5 again! Can't afford to blow another dragon away here calling the bluff to get rid of it, since Buka has less than 5 cards
remaining in-hand, so I have to come up with something else.

Flit: Tittertweet + Launch Slippery Slime (4E)

Leaves me with one 3 earth booster to go with Highchirp to stave off the ship, which has 10 power on it. Tittertweet voids the bonus Yina gave the bluff card, allowing me to match with 4 instead of 5. Good thing was, I drew a 1 earth booster to replace it, so I was actually
still hanging in there.

Buka: B/P Ferocity + bluff (5E)

Flit: (Retrieve Tittertweet) Wing Commander Razorfeather + Launch
Dazzling Flares (5E)

Huge mistake here. Game was going to come down to the luck of my draw, but instead of just letting Tittertweet go I retrieved him instead of allowing myself to draw another card.

Buka: (Lands Sea Devil) Commodore Lo Tan + B/P Loyalty + Lookout
Dolora Paal + bluff (12E)

Flit: Retreat.

Final score: Buka 4, Flit 0. A lot closer than the score indicates, obviously.

Curious to see what the next card I would have drawn had I left Tittertweet on the table would be, I pulled it - Launch Locust Paratroopers, which at 3 earth would have been enough for me to pull off the ship hijack. BLAH!

Also of note: my hand stagnation left a TON of good cards in the bottom 1/3 of my deck, any of which might have turned the tables: Fel-nar-Gan, Beguile Holy Dragon, Flitterflutter, Trililling, etc. I want a rematch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report as usual. I loved the mental commentary.

I haven't played Buka yet so if you'll indulge a question regarding:

"Flit: Call Bluff!

Yep, he forgot to ditch the bluff when he switched elements."

How does the Buka player discard bluffs when they switch the element? Can you discard supports voluntarily as part of the normal rule set? It never occurred to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the update generally available? I checked just now via the autoupdate, and it has the January version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
How does the Buka player discard bluffs when they switch the element? Can you discard supports voluntarily as part of the normal rule set?

You can discard any or all of your bluff cards in your Beginning of Turn phase.

Changing element is the main reason for this rule. That could have been done by automatically discarding cards when the element changes, but the current rule was preferred for a number of reasons. (Obviously we only want one rule if one rule will do the job.) The most obvious is what happens after Letter of Marque? Another is suppose you play a bluff card. Aha, I say (to myself) I think/know that's a bluff. But I won't call it, first I'll get up to six cards, then I'll call it. It also allows some interesting plays. Two are

- I play a bluff, you don't call it. But next turn my ship is ready (or something similar) so I don't need it and it's a big vulnerability. I can however discard it.

- Current element is fire. I play a character with EARTH BLUFF as a bluff. Next turn I play Old Goo Laa's Ghost, but before I do, I "forget" to discard my bluff card. You call, and my trap springs. Yes, I have pulled this one off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan: What Chris said. That makes bluffing a lot trickier to catch in that you can throw in a "fake" bluff for a turn or two, then ditch it when you no longer need it. In that particular fight I was so taken aback by the fact that he forgot to ditch the bluff card that I just blurted out that I was calling bluff without checking my card numbers. As I'm looking at the report, it turns out that by virtue of retrieving Wing Commander Razorfeather when I shouldn't have I got the card back, but gave up the extra dragon (WCR would have had me at 6 cards in play). It's funny how something so small can completely change the course of a game.

Jim: No, I think Rich and I might be the only ones with the updated plugin (except maybe Octavian). There's an issue with the art scans (strangeness with the text) such that Rich isn't comfortable putting it up on the Lackey plugin site for public consumption, but if anyone doesn't mind the text funkiness and wants to contact Rich (rgnet1) or me by Geekmail, we'd be happy to send you the plugin by email. In the meantime I'm gonna try to rescan the art "soon".

Incidentally, I've pulled off the Goo Laa switcheroo once myself. Fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan F.
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the address for the Lackey site, and does it have instructions on how to use the plugin?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report.

I am ready to jump back into some online play - reading this session pushed me over the edge.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rusty567 wrote:
What's the address for the Lackey site, and does it have instructions on how to use the plugin?

http://www.lackeyccg.com/
http://www.lackeyccg.com/bluemoon/

And, no, I'm afraid it doesn't have such instructions at this point. You can learn from the Lackey site how to download and install the Lackey software and the plugin, but after that it's kind of either (a) mess around with it on your own for a few hours or (b) find someone willing to run through it with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rusty567,

Actually, I decided last night to make a quick run at coming up with some instructions for using the plugin:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/156713

I'm asking for comment on this in that thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan F.
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Jim. I found that really helpful. Now, I just have to line up some opponents...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls