Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: flgs [+] [View All]
ChokSien Hiew
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know any good game stores in Manila, Philippines? So far I have only found one called Hobbes at Greenbelt 3 shopping centre, but they do not sell very many German games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramon Garcia
Philippines
Pasig
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's one in Powerplant Mall... Same level as the toy store, off to the side of the elevator. No Euros as far as I can tell. Lots of Heroscape, then mostly Monopoly and the other easier-to-find games.

I went there twice then decided to buy online instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ChokSien Hiew
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the quick reply. I found one store at Glorietta called Neutral Grounds. They sell mainly CCGs though. They do have a few boardgames, not many, much less than Hobbes. But the games are a bit expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramon Garcia
Philippines
Pasig
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right, most stores will only sell CCG's, Neutral Grounds, in particular, happens to be the local distributor for Magic: the Gathering. Today I went to Toys R' Us in Robinson's Galleria, haven't been to that mall in years... They had: Twilight Imperium, Descent, Axis and Allies and a few others I couldn't recognize as well as some miniature games. Again, no Euros (as far as what I know about Euros is concerned). Sorry I couldn't investigate further as I was in a rush and just had to buy a stuffed toy for a neice's birthday. They also had a few party games and a lot of Heroscape in a separate section.

If you're going to be in country for a while, in the next few months I will be putting up a gaming store and I intend to sell more board games than anyone else as well as offer a play area. There's also a thread in the Philippines forums here from a group of wargamers with weekly games if you're interested in that: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/151497.

You'll notice by the overwhelming number of threads in the Philippines forum how popular board gaming is in the country.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ChokSien Hiew
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. Unfortunately I'm only in Manila for a short period. But I will likely come again in future. Hopefully I will have a chance to visit your game store then.

I did find the wargamers thread, but I'm not much of a wargamer. I've only played the very light end of wargames, like Axis & Allies, Hammer of the Scots. So I did not get in touch with the group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Castillo
Philippines
Pasig
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hey there! I get my board games from Hobbes/Landes. They're in Podium, Powerplant, Shangri-La Mall, Bonifacio High Street, Ayala Town Center, and Greenbelt 3.

Leo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ChokSien Hiew
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I've been to the one at Greenbelt 3. They do have many games, but not that many Eurogames. Do you know whether the other branches have wider (or smaller) selections?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Castillo
Philippines
Pasig
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The store with the biggest selection would probably be the one in Bonifacio High Street, right next to Krispy Kreme. That's where I found my Ticket to Ride Marklin.

You can find Settlers, Carcassonne, Puerto Rico, Cleopatra, and Memoir 44 there, among others. I saw Princes of Florence there before, thought of buying it, when I got back someone beat me to it. :-(

It's not a substantial collection, but probably the widest you can get in this country. Check it out.

Leo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bourrillion
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These stores exist, but to get to them, you have to pay 3 pesos and place your accomplice on the correct space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramon Garcia
Philippines
Pasig
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You obviously haven't been here in a while, it's actually 7 pesos now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ChokSien Hiew
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually went to Krispy Kreme at Bonifacio High Street but didn't realise there was a Hobbes next door. Maybe because it was in the evening. Anyhow thank you and I hope to be able to visit more boardgame stores next time I visit, likely next month.

Ramon, please do let me know (on this post) when you start your game store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramon Garcia
Philippines
Pasig
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will do, but by next month, we'll only be doing CCG's in a small shop in an obscure part of town . Major shop won't happen for a while yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Ng
Philippines
Mandaluyong
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some members in the Pinoy based community site TabletopWars.com sells hobby games. I myself frequently buy games abroad and accept orders too. This way everyone saves on shipping cost. If you are in the Philippines and is interested, please do check out http://www.tabletopwars.com.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls