Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Millen
United Kingdom
Greyabbey
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
Folks

I am thinking of adding variety to my BL1 forces for historical scenarios and seek advice before investing my cash.

Rough measurement suggests to me that Battlelore foot figures are roughly 20mm from foot to top of head, with a thickish 3 - 4mm base.

I have scanned through the ranges featured in http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/PeriodList.aspx?period=7. PSR also ignore bases in their measurements and the smallest figures appear to be Revell/Accurate or Airfix/HaT at 22mm, followed by Red Box at 23.5mm, Italeri and Strelets at 24mm and Zvezda at 25mm.

A 20-25% height difference might be too much for visual harmony but I have a willingness to suspend disbelief and fading eyesight.

Have any BL1 owners successfully blended externally-sourced figures?

Peter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Officer
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Microbadge: Parent of a Boy and a GirlMicrobadge: Dawn: Rise of the Occulites fanMicrobadge: League of Extraordinary Heroscapers - 5th AnniversaryMicrobadge: BattleLore fanMicrobadge: Constantly thinking about game design
Splintered Light Miniatures 20mm range of Goblins and Dwarfs work beautifully. I have incorporated all their Redwall stuff as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross T
Australia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Gamer DadMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG poster
Battles of Westeros core sets are being sold relatively cheaply these days and could be an option for you. The below thread has photos showing size comparisons:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/980333/battles-westeros-fig...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Officer
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Microbadge: Parent of a Boy and a GirlMicrobadge: Dawn: Rise of the Occulites fanMicrobadge: League of Extraordinary Heroscapers - 5th AnniversaryMicrobadge: BattleLore fanMicrobadge: Constantly thinking about game design
BoW figures are not a good size match at all unfortunately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Millen
United Kingdom
Greyabbey
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
Thanks Ben and Ross for early suggestions.

The Splintered Light goblins and dwarves look good, but I am looking for human medieval soldiers in this instance.

I do have a substantial BOW collection but they don't quite fit.

Peter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zaccardi
United States
Coral Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Shadows of Brimstone fanMicrobadge: Dice Tower Convention attendeeMicrobadge: 2020 Gold SupporterMicrobadge: BattleLore fanMicrobadge: Star Trek Adventures RPG fan
I'll admit that in order to get variety, I live with a scale variation. I really like a lot of the Zevezda line for medieval sculpts and those are about 25mm (1/72). They obviously are bigger when you compare them one to one with a classic BattleLore 22mm figure.

However, From experience I can say if you mix both types and are playing a larger game, the 3mm gets lost on the field to some extent and isn't detracting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 2019 Gold SupporterMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Level 13 BGG posterMicrobadge: Silver Image UploaderMicrobadge: Golden Meeple
how do you mount banners on the alternate pieces? I'm looking for an easy way to mount a BL banner on a metal base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zaccardi
United States
Coral Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Shadows of Brimstone fanMicrobadge: Dice Tower Convention attendeeMicrobadge: 2020 Gold SupporterMicrobadge: BattleLore fanMicrobadge: Star Trek Adventures RPG fan
Minedog3 wrote:
how do you mount banners on the alternate pieces? I'm looking for an easy way to mount a BL banner on a metal base.

I've been using wooden bases from Litko for various unit sizes (foot, mounted, and large) and dremeling a hole in the bases (for a unit of four foot only one of every four gets a banner hole.

Here's a large scale figure for an example:

Board Game: BattleLore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls