Subject: Game Store Recommendations in Madison, WI rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Reggie P
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, my wife and I will soon be taking a trip up to Wisconsin, and I have heard before that there are some awesome game stores there in Madison. We'd like to visit a game store or two but we'll have limited time, so I'm wondering, what are people's favorites, and what types of products do they focus on? We like a wide variety of boardgames and card games, and we'd love some suggestions on what to visit. Where should we go if we can only see one? How bout two? Thanks in advance for your help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Kadow
United States
West Allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
S'more and Chipsie unite!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you happen to be traveling through the Milwaukee area on your way there, I'd love to recommend The Board Game Barrister and Game Universe.

Not a lot of deals to be had but they are great stores with a wide variety!

Board Game Barrister: http://www.boardgamebarrister.com/

Game Universe: http://www.game-universe.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thaddeuspwhirl wrote:
Hi all, my wife and I will soon be taking a trip up to Wisconsin, and I have heard before that there are some awesome game stores there in Madison. We'd like to visit a game store or two but we'll have limited time, so I'm wondering, what are people's favorites, and what types of products do they focus on? We like a wide variety of boardgames and card games, and we'd love some suggestions on what to visit. Where should we go if we can only see one? How bout two? Thanks in advance for your help!

I'm Board is tops. Located on University Ave in Middleton.

Next up would be Pegasus games - haven't been there in years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Marema
United States
Ellisville
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gone up to Madison with my wife when she's had Epic training and I visited I'm Board! in Middleton. It's probably one of the nicest and friendliest games stores I've ever been in. Their selection is great and the store is just really well put together.

When I'm in a new city, I always like to pay a visit to any FLGSs in the area and this is one of the few I've ever been in where I wasn't completely ignored and I had some great conversations with the store owners. I can't recommend this place enough.

On a side note, my wife has more classes to take at Epic and I'll actually be in Madison next week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
you can't stay angry forever...
badge
...or so i'm told.
mb
I live about an hour away from Madison and have checked out most of the stores there. I'm Board definitely came off as the best. I don't remember enough about the other two I visited (Misty Mountain and Pegasus Games) to comment on which is better.

Also, there's one sort of down town... Netherworld Games, I think? The store itself is kind of a dump, but they had a pretty good selection. Some of it looked to be there for a while, so you might be able to find some older stuff. When I was there a year or so ago they still had a copy of one of the World of Warcraft Board Game expansions, as an example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B. Hesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Rufio, Rufio, Rufio!
badge
+Garbanzo Beans+
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm Board is by far the best store, great selection, awesome staff, and a good room for open gaming that is always open.

Pegasus is not a great stop and not worth it. It is small, cramped, and feels dusty. The staff is also not great...I have overheard several judgmental conversations during my two stops. And no one seemed to want to answer any questions I had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B. Hesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Rufio, Rufio, Rufio!
badge
+Garbanzo Beans+
mbmbmbmbmb
Netherworlds is alright, but its really a MtG shop. Most people that go in there dont go for the board games, the go to play Magic. There selection is a bit odd and generally higher priced than other places in town. But you can at times find older games there. The staff is usually friendly but not very knowledgeable beyond MtG.

emodiu5 wrote:
I live about an hour away from Madison and have checked out most of the stores there. I'm Board definitely came off as the best. I don't remember enough about the other two I visited (Misty Mountain and Pegasus Games) to comment on which is better.

Also, there's one sort of down town... Netherworld Games, I think? The store itself is kind of a dump, but they had a pretty good selection. Some of it looked to be there for a while, so you might be able to find some older stuff. When I was there a year or so ago they still had a copy of one of the World of Warcraft Board Game expansions, as an example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan R
United States
ALBUQUERQUE
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When will you be in town?

Both Madison and Milwaukee have an epic amount of awesome gaming locales.

I'm Board as mentioned is in Middleton (west Madison) and has an open board gaming night every Thursday. They also have a LCG/ECG card game night on Mondays and Dice Masters on Thursday. They have a ton of other offering like weekly D&D Magic and monthly Board Game Tournaments you can check out their calendar.

http://imboardgamestore.com/

Pegasus Games is another great option in Madison, on the (southwest) side of Madison on Odanna Rd. They have a ton of selection and a board game play area. They both have similar focuses and similar events just depends on the day of the week.

http://pegasusgames.com/

Both are super customer oriented and highly recommended.

On the east side there is Misty Mountain games, it's an okay option for the east side but pales in comparison to the other two.

Finally there is netherworld games downtown. They are kind of a small store mostly who run Magic out of the shop but they have a big board game selection and some other events (X-wing, dice masters, D&D etc).

Finally as others have mentioned there's a ton more great options in Milwaukee (I grew up going to Game Universe and I still travel there once in a while so I know they are awesome)

Good luck hope to see you at a store board game night
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KennedyMeijiHawk wrote:

I'm Board as mentioned is in Middleton (west Madison) and has an open board gaming night every Thursday. They also have a LCG/ECG card game night on Mondays and Dice Masters on Thursday. They have a ton of other offering like weekly D&D Magic and monthly Board Game Tournaments you can check out their calendar.

Pegasus Games is another great option in Madison, on the (southwest) side of Madison on Odanna Rd. They have a ton of selection and a board game play area. They both have similar focuses and similar events just depends on the day of the week.

On the east side there is Misty Mountain games, it's an okay option for the east side but pales in comparison to the other two.

Finally there is netherworld games downtown. They are kind of a small store mostly who run Magic out of the shop but they have a big board game selection and some other events (X-wing, dice masters, D&D etc).

Finally as others have mentioned there's a ton more great options in Milwaukee (I grew up going to Game Universe and I still travel there once in a while so I know they are awesome)

I'm Board also has a mix of open gaming and CCG tourneys on Tuesdays. If you are interested in joining on Tuesdays, just reach out to the coord of Guilded Chaos. There is a flea market sale on Saturday May 14th, via the Guild @ I'm Board... so if you get there, you may find some goodies.

The owner of the shop is very kind to allow the Guild to hold their twice yearly flea market.

Guilded Chaos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll sixth I'm Board. Pegasus is all right, but it's smaller, more D&D focused, and my experiences with the staff have been variable.

One thing we don't have is a gaming cafe. With all the development downtown and on East Wash for the Epic drones and other upwardly mobile nerds, I'd think it's prime territory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley M
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Greatest Game Ever
mbmbmbmbmb
If you happen to go through Janesville Noble Knight is a great stop. I'd recommend it over I'm board because while I'm board does have a small used section Noble Knight has massive selection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Cutler
United States
Cross Plains
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
There is a flea market sale this Saturday, via the Guild @ I'm Board... so if you get there, you may find some goodies.

The owner of the shop is very kind to allow the Guild to hold their twice yearly flea market.

Guilded Chaos

Don't scare me! The flea market is on May 14th. I am not ready to sell yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dpbush wrote:
I'll sixth I'm Board. Pegasus is all right, but it's smaller, more D&D focused, and my experiences with the staff have been variable.

One thing we don't have is a gaming cafe. With all the development downtown and on East Wash for the Epic drones and other upwardly mobile nerds, I'd think it's prime territory.

We did for a brief and shining moment on the west side... it really was a case study in bad business decisions. Too bad - nice lighting and decor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
duncanid wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
There is a flea market sale this Saturday, via the Guild @ I'm Board... so if you get there, you may find some goodies.

Guilded Chaos

Don't scare me! The flea market is on May 14th. I am not ready to sell yet.

Doh... it is the 14th. Not this Saturday. I'll correct my OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reggie P
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KennedyMeijiHawk wrote:

We just got here this evening, depending on how our day goes tomorrow we may stop by I'm Board in the evening!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reggie P
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Riddlebox85 wrote:
If you happen to go through Janesville Noble Knight is a great stop. I'd recommend it over I'm board because while I'm board does have a small used section Noble Knight has massive selection.

I've always wanted to go there, I hope we get the chance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reggie P
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for all the kind recommendations, you all are great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
We did for a brief and shining moment on the west side... it really was a case study in bad business decisions. Too bad - nice lighting and decor.

They did such a good job, I had no idea the place even existed! Where was it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dpbush wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

They did such a good job, I had no idea the place even existed! Where was it?

On old 12 in West Middleton.... the little strip mall where Carr Valley cheese outlet (?) is located - across the street from Culvers/Bruce Company. The larger two story corner property on the left - was built out really nice, then closed several months later. I believe Culver's "High-end" Blue Spoon Creamery occupied the space afterwards - but also shut down.

I know that I'm Board got a nice deal on the bank foreclosure of the game inventory, because I bought several from their resulting sale of said inventory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
On old 12 in West Middleton.... the little strip mall where Carr Valley cheese outlet (?) is located - across the street from Culvers/Bruce Company. The larger two story corner property on the left - was built out really nice, then closed several months later. I believe Culver's "High-end" Blue Spoon Creamery occupied the space afterwards - but also shut down.

I know that I'm Board got a nice deal on the bank foreclosure of the game inventory, because I bought several from their resulting sale of said inventory.

Ah, thanks. I can see why it would've failed, if they spent a bunch of money in that location on what is essentially a hangout coffee shop with extra overhead. Couldn't have been too long ago if I'm Board ended up with the stock.

I still think a game cafe would work on East Wash, or maybe one of those small strip malls on Willy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cmkadow wrote:
If you happen to be traveling through the Milwaukee area on your way there, I'd love to recommend The Board Game Barrister and Game Universe.

Not a lot of deals to be had but they are great stores with a wide variety!

Board Game Barrister: http://www.boardgamebarrister.com/

Game Universe: http://www.game-universe.com/

You mean "Sells everything at higher than MSRP" and "Most obnoxious game store owner on the planet"? No thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KennedyMeijiHawk wrote:

How old are you that you "grew up" going to Games Universe? They haven't been around that long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I am a little late to the party but I wanted to chime in.

I went to I'm Board this past weekend and found it to be the best experience I've had so far at a boardgame shop. I was only really approached once (which I prefer) the staff was earnestly friendly. I liked the selection a bit better then other shops I've been to in MKE.

I wish it was closer to where I lived but they will get my patronage when I am in the area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls