Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried counting each straight space twice? It seems to me that virtually every straight stretch is too short by design to keep the tracks a manageable size. This shortening of the straights keeps the higher gear dice, especially 6th, from commonly getting used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That perhaps F1 cars can actually go fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mb
rickert wrote:

Correction....

F1 could go that fast. A thing of the past.

I don't believe the current engines are able to push an F1 to those speeds.

1.6 liter 4 cylinder hybrid
With a max fuel consumption of 100Kg per hour

Gone are the days of 1500 horsepower monsters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it takes a tremendous amount of imagination to get speed out of any tabletop racing game. But using that imagination makes using all the dice instead of letting one of them collect dust makes my game more fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Thur
Germany
Weitersburg
flag msg tools
designer
mb
rickert wrote:

...by letting them crawl even more slowly along the straights?
The 6th gear die is used rarely because it's always a big risk to do so. Straights get very short at this speed and I guess it actually lessens the fun to play the 6th gear safely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Thur
Germany
Weitersburg
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Rygel wrote:

1.6 liter 4 cylinder hybrid
With a max fuel consumption of 100Kg per hour

Gone are the days of 1500 horsepower monsters

The 1500 hp monsters lasted only a few years during the ealy 80s when the pressure of turbochargers and the amount of fuel wasn't limited.

1.5 litre or 4 cylinders were pretty common during some phases in F1 history.

1950-51 compressor-charged Alfettas
1952-53 F2 rules
1961-65 1.5 litre engines
~1982-88 Turbo era

Just because there were also rulesets with 3.0 or 3.5 litre engines that doesn't mean F1 racing was more exciting or considerably faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tomcat1304 wrote:
rickert wrote:

The 6th gear die is used rarely because it's always a big risk to do so. Straights get very short at this speed and I guess it actually lessens the fun to play the 6th gear safely.

I don't understand any of this. The tracks aren't to scale as is so why would I not want to improve that if possible. Why was the blue die included in the game if it was either not able to be used or a very stupid idea to use it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bowker
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
Tomcat1304 wrote:
rickert wrote:

I don't understand any of this. The tracks aren't to scale as is so why would I not want to improve that if possible. Why was the blue die included in the game if it was either not able to be used or a very stupid idea to use it?

Because someone will use it, explode in the process and everyone will cheer. I think the few times I had used the big die, it usually caused a lot of tire damage and some transmission wear as I had to downshift too quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That big die can be used, you just have to have the right conditions. I've used it a few times, and when you don't blow up your car it's epic.

I personally wouldn't alter how the spaces are counted, those tracks are balanced to the rest of the game mechanisms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Thur
Germany
Weitersburg
flag msg tools
designer
mb
rickert wrote:

You already mentioned it's difficult to get the impression of speed out of a turn-based boardgame. To double the straights by halving the speed (or spaces moved) makes FD just complicated in my eyes.
The fun in playing is not rolling higher numbers than everyone else - I guess a drag race variant for FD would be quite boring. It's the corners that give movement restrictions and decisions for players. Even if FD isn't to scale it shows the difference between slow speeds in the corners and fast movement on the straights.

To use the 6th gear is tempting because it guarantees a move of at least 21 spaces, but there's also the risk to come too close to the next corner. I prefer short straights using 6th gear only casually to planning moves like 6th/6th/6th... and then we'll see which gear to use for the corner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls