Josh Burchett
United States
Maryville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avengers! Cowabunga!
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently found out about this game, last week, and was wondering if it was worth it to purchase on Ebay for $119+? I like the look of the minis and would like to play the game but with a geek score of 6._ _ is it worth it?

It doesn't seem like a re-print will happen anytime soon. I just don't want to spend that much on a game that would be more of a collectors item. I would want to play it and experiment with variants.

Also, are the minis better or worse than heroclix? are they similar in scale to 28mm?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want one of the only super hero games that captures the theme well, then yes, it's worth the price tag.

The minis are mediocre quality - on par with Heroclix, maybe a bit under that. But, they're functional as the characters.
I think they're also a little larger than 28mm, perhaps closer to 32mm or even bigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Lewis
United States
Evans
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
“Whatever you do, He will make good of it. But not the good He had prepared for you if you had obeyed Him.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
badge
"He died not for men, but for each man. If each man had been the only man made, He would have done no less.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
mbmbmbmbmb
Tough call. Based on price alone, I was going point you to Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game. That also generates a solid, comic narrative, but by the time you pick up a few expansions, the price is essentially the same. And you know that Marvel Heroes isn't going to put out new expansions, so it's a one time cost.

Is it a grail game? Not for me, but it's solid. The combat mechanics for Marvel Heroes are excellent, and the theme comes through with story cards and villain plots. That said, game play can be clunky (without variants), and with only four master villains, there's not as much variety as Legendary.

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sinodinos
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Ghool 100%. Marvel Heroes captures the theme well, vey well, and imho, it is a much better game than the geek ratings here would have you believe. But if ur going to pay that kind of money, keep in mind that FFG had issues with the gameboards being warped. So if ur going to buy on ebay, I would strongly suggest contacting the seller to ask the condition of it first. Good luck .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JJ Sino wrote:
I agree with Ghool 100%. Marvel Heroes captures the theme well, vey well, and imho, it is a much better game than the geek ratings here would have you believe. But if ur going to pay that kind of money, keep in mind that FFG had issues with the gameboards being warped. So if ur going to buy on ebay, I would strongly suggest contacting the seller to ask the condition of it first. Good luck .

I agree with this, word for word. I have nothing to add.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my favorite superhero board game and one of my favorite games overall. It's one of only a handful of games I value enough to keep two copies of. I love it.

That said, its rules can be a challenge, and I've always had difficulty getting others to play. It can run a bit long for some people.

I wouldn't pay $119 for it. It is rare, but you might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere. I picked up one of my copies through a vendor at a con for $20, if I remember right, because it was used. Everything in good shape. I would actively hunt it for a couple months at least, here, facebook, ebay, and see if you spot it at a lower price. Unless money isn't an object, then snag it up and enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Gordonsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
While primarily used for killing vampires, a wooden stake to the heart is also highly effective against most other opponents.
badge
Mr. Spacely was one crooked son of a bitch and I can prove it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Found this auction.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

Not a great copy but playable.

There may be others available on ebay but this isn't the easiest game to search for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
KY
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still play it regularly. Not too many 10+ year old games I can say that about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MilesF wrote:
This is my favorite superhero board game and one of my favorite games overall. It's one of only a handful of games I value enough to keep two copies of. I love it.

Agreed. Except the two copies part, that's just crazy .

Quote:
That said, its rules can be a challenge, and I've always had difficulty getting others to play. It can run a bit long for some people.

Disagree on the rules. As far as play time, a game that ends round 3 should not be going over 45 minutes, hell 30 min is very doable (have had as quick as 15 min), with 2-p.

Quote:
I wouldn't pay $119 for it.

Agreed again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
Weston
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Finishing Blow
mbmbmbmbmb
O have issues finding people to play it. If I had somebody to play with me, I would buy it for 119 in a heartbeat. I have spent so much money with crappy games that are just dust collector items and I would much rather spend it in school game like this. And, you are right, no reprint in the horizon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Gordonsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
While primarily used for killing vampires, a wooden stake to the heart is also highly effective against most other opponents.
badge
Mr. Spacely was one crooked son of a bitch and I can prove it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, there is one recently available in the BGG Marketplace for only $60.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geekmarket/product/933368

Edit: I think the original MSRP was $60-$70 so if you find one around that price then you should call yourself lucky. Double that price for a perfect copy isn't unreasonable but I personally don't think it's worth that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Schaefer
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is better than advertised, but I don't know if it's a hundred dollars good. I'm surprised no one's yet mentioned the Fantastic Four Conundrum, or the thin utility of the story track. I championed the game when it came out but it wasn't without its flaws.

I agree with the sentiment expressed before, keep looking and try to get it, but at a better price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Burchett
United States
Maryville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avengers! Cowabunga!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone. I did re-search a few more times on eBay and found some other lower price options. I will keep searching and eventually buy it. After reading the posts, I believe, I would like the game.

I like that some had said it has a good theme. I am a Marvel fan after all. I wish i would have found this game when I was younger.

Although, once I do buy it, I will have to scourer this BGG forum for insights and clarifications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Schaef wrote:
This game is better than advertised, but I don't know if it's a hundred dollars good. I'm surprised no one's yet mentioned the Fantastic Four Conundrum, or the thin utility of the story track. I championed the game when it came out but it wasn't without its flaws.

I agree with the sentiment expressed before, keep looking and try to get it, but at a better price.

Fantastic 4 is easily house ruled

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
Weston
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Finishing Blow
mbmbmbmbmb
The designer made an official house rule by popular demand. I don't use any.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
The best way to evaluate the game is to read some reviews of it.

I owned this game at one point and I found it a bit dry; although it captured the theme alright. It hasn't fared as well over time in my opinion now that newer Superhero games like Legendary and Sentinels of the Multiverse have come out.

Here's a brief synopsis of the game along with my apologies for not using precise game terminology since I haven't played in a long time.

Players are trying to reach a specific point total over the course of 1-5 turns. If the game reaches the 5th turn, then the player with the highest total points wins. There are global cards that change the necessary win conditions - or sometimes offer an epic fight at the end of the game awarding even more points, giving other players a chance to beat the leader - but the scenarios mostly all play the same by setting a point total and providing a global effect for certain types of crimes.

Players travel around a map of New York fighting crimes of specific types - such as Mystic or Investigation - and heroes gain bonuses when dealing with crimes that best fit their skills. Each crime has a point value that your hero's teams nemesis can use to assign enemies and support cards to that crime. The higher the point value, the more risk there is and the greater payoff victory point payoff if the heroes prevail. Sometimes once the crime is resolved, the exhausted heroes will have to fight the arch villain himself, with the winner receiving a bonus that makes future conflicts easier or harder (from the heroes perspective.)

Combat revolves around selecting one of three stances for your heroes which determines your attack, defense, and outwit values. Heroes and enemies exchange blows (hero attacks / enemy defends then enemy attacks / hero defends) before proceeding to a simultaneous damage outwit phase - it means heroes and enemies can suffer up to 2 wounds each combat round and most heroes and cards have between 1-5 wounds. A selected stance involves trade-offs and produces tension each fight round by selecting what ability you want to maximize (or which you're willing to minimize) relative to what you think your opponent is going to choose. For example, you might select a really strong attack in the hopes of defeating an enemy; but if you fail, you'll be very weak when the enemy strikes back. Or you might try to defend against your opponents attack, hoping to defeat them in the outwit round because your own attack will be very weak.

At the end of each turn, hero teams gain cards based on the number of healthy heroes back at base and their total points (there's a balancing mechanic for crime resolution to punish the point leader.) Cards are used to provide bonuses to combat that maximize abilities or cover for weak points. They are often the difference between winning and losing a fight, adding another layer of strategy to the game as you have to weigh what each crime is going to cost you in the way of cards acquired and spent. Sometimes, if you're falling behind or you're close to reaching the victory condition; you might have to tackle two crimes on the same turn, which taxes your resources by increasing your card burn this turn and likely, providing fewer cards next turn if heroes can't return to base or are knocked out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
The designer made an official house rule by popular demand. I don't use any.

I just changed their "all dice" abilities to just 1. easy fix, easy to remember.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls