Popular Tags: [View All]
Walter Baas
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I will be in Chicago in mid-June for a week (work related) and was hoping to visit a couple of great game/hobby stores. Preferably ones that have new and used, board, RPG and maybe even wargames. I know these kind of stores are getting harder to find, with the development of niche and big box stores, but I believe there are still some good ones out there. Thanks in advance, for any suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James B.
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just there!

* Dice Dojo
* Cat and Mouse Games (2 locations)
* Wanderers' Refuge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mango Mango
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
James's recommendations are all good.

In addition, if you don't mind heading out of the city and into the suburbs, you might want to check out Games Plus in Mt. Prospect. They have a great wargames collection (both new and used), in addition to being a great all-around game store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kefauver
United States
Elgin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Another shout out for Games Plus. Great staff, wonderful selection. They have board games, war games, and RPG stuff (enough to bury yourself in). Not so much used stuff, but they have two auctions a year. Sadly, you're between them, but it's as close as they come.

Great amount of play-space too. I live too far away to do casual pick-up games there, but it seems like it would be a blast to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Matthews
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chicago is a big place, but Grapple Games in Bourbonnais is solid. They're like an HOUR outside, but just in case I'll put in a good word for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fly
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the stores in the Chicago area are selling at MSRP but offer various levels of flgs services. If you're strictly looking for the best prices, check out The Gaming Goat in Oak Park or Schaumburg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Smith
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another plus one for Games Plus in Mt. Prospect.

They have a large wargaming community and I'm fairly certain they have some used stuff near the pack of the store. It's either wargame or RPG - possibly both.

I'm there most Friday nights, if I can remember to do so, I'll check...either way, you should hop the train and stop by. They're less than a block from one of the METRA stops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Flight
United States
Boulder
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MangaMango wrote:
James's recommendations are all good.

In addition, if you don't mind heading out of the city and into the suburbs, you might want to check out Games Plus in Mt. Prospect. They have a great wargames collection (both new and used), in addition to being a great all-around game store.

Agreed, this is my favorite game store in the Chicago area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Roth
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In my youth, I visited Games + often as my grandparents lived in Mt Prospect (the old location, north of the tracks).

When I grew older I opened a game store myself, and my aspiration was always to work towards that type of massive assortment of games, new and old.

Still like the place and visit whenever I'm near them in the Chicago area.

My old store is 2 hours away from Chicago, so I won't send you there..;-) But it's great too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bruno
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gryfalia wrote:
In my youth, I visited Games + often as my grandparents lived in Mt Prospect (the old location, north of the tracks).

When I grew older I opened a game store myself, and my aspiration was always to work towards that type of massive assortment of games, new and old.

My old store is 2 hours away from Chicago, so I won't send you there..;-) But it's great too!

I grew up in Mt. Prospect and spent many summer afternoons and evenings there in my youth. That little store next to Ye Old Towne Inn was like a second home to me in the early '80s.

The new(ish) location is even better. I live about 50 miles away now, but I still make the drive up there once and awhile for their awesome board game selection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Posa
United States
Lebanon
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iamsumo72 wrote:
Gryfalia wrote:

I grew up in Mt. Prospect and spent many summer afternoons and evenings there in my youth. That little store next to Ye Old Towne Inn was like a second home to me in the early '80s.

Me, too! I got away from gaming for quite a while, but that was the store that started it for me. Between that and Mother's Arcade...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls