Blitz! A World in Conflict» Forums » Reviews

Subject: A Grognard Dad's Quick Review of Blitz! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Mifsud
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, some background. I have been playing World in Flames since the first edition. Right up until 2003 when my eldest daughter was born. The last game I played lasted 2 years - a full game with six players playing 4 to 6 hours every Saturday. Yes, World in Flames is a big game. In fact I think it is the best WW2 corp level war-game ever made. It strikes the right balance between simulation and fun. But, it is long.

That last game of WIF ended 1 month before my eldest was born. My wife told me that there was no way going forward I could play games of that magnitude again. Due to the time commitment and, just importantly, the amount of space it takes. The giant maps sat in my living room for the entire two years.

I packed up the game neatly in dedicated trays (you do not want to sort that monster if you can avoid it) and packed it away. The plan was to pull it out once my two eldest were both 12+ maybe even 14+.

So it was with keen interest when I read bout Blitz! via the ADG email list. Though it wasn't billed as "WiF for kids" just reading the description it definitely felt like it. If nothing else it seemed like it would be a game that gave the feel of WiF in 7/500th of the time!

So I put a preorder in, received it, and waited for a time I could crack it out. Which was today. This is a great little game. Not only does it capture the feel of WiF it also retains the historical accuracy and options of the forces at play. So I actually ended up using it as a teaching tool. I also liked the design decisions made to not "fight to the bitter end" which WiF usually devolves into (in fact all wargames of this nature) when one side is clearly beaten and play on just to be beaten up or the game ends prematurely with a player surrender.

I also thought the use of dots a clever way to keep counter numbers down without turning it into "Axis and Allies". The clever use of + and - on different units also gave each one a character - similar to how the much lower level pieces had character in WiF. When the Banner Guard Army comes out you know you are moments from being in a world of pain!

More importantly my kids - 12 and 10 - loved the game. They learned how powerful Germany is at the beginning of the war. How clueless the allies were, how fragile the British Empire supply lines are and how resilient the USSR actually is. Very high level strategic ideas you don't easily learn just from reading WW2 books. Due to its length its not a game I can crack out to regularly but it will get more playtime than WiF did - until my kids graduate to it.

My only gripe is that the original WiF colours were not retained. Though I can see why - Japan white is easier on the eyes then the original dark red and making Italy the same colour as Germany and France the same as the UK eliminates having too many co-operation rules. Its just intuitive. Another intelligent design choice. But being an old grognard I have to be picky :)

Well done ADG and Mr. LeLacheur. 8/10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave LeLacheur
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thank you for the kind review Michael. I'm not surprised the game worked well with your kids, since I playtested it with my 11 & 13 year olds (who have also not played full WiFFe, yet, but did at least see it once, when I was able to negotiate control of the basement for a year. Emphasis on "once" as the basement reverted to kid control thereafter!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mifsud
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries. Great little game Dave :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.