Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
As many of you know already, we are working on the War of the Ring Collector Edition - a limited version of the game in which our goal is to upgrade every single component to the maximum quality we can achieve.

There are a lot of choices involved in a project like this; many choices we have to do ourselves, of course, but there are several things I would really like to have feedback from the gamers potentially interested in this Edition.

First thing, the WotR Collector Edition will feature painted figures - yes, all 205 of them and we are now investigating adding all the figures from Battles of the Third Age which are used with the "Twilight of the Third Age" rules expansion (i.e. not the additional figures used only in the operational games).

Given that we will try to achieve the best quality on the paint job that is achievable on such small figures and massive numbers (which by the first samples we received, is going to be very good!) we are unsure how we should handle the bases.
There are two choices: to make the coloring of the bases FACTION BASED (e.g. blue for the FP, red for the Shadow) and leave the overall paint scheme of each figure tells the difference between, say, Rohirrim and Elves - or make the coloring NATION BASED with every one of the 8 Nation with a different paint on the base.

What would you prefer to find, when you open your copy of the WotR Collector's Edition?

I really look forward to your feedback on this question (and more will follow in the next weeks...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooh, that sounds interesting. I haven't played the game yet, but hope to soon, but I would prefer if they were Nation Based. But in similar schemes.

Like lighter colors (White, Yellow, Light Blue) for good.
Darker Colors (Forest Green, Red, Black) for evil nations.

I'm sure there are more fluid schemes, but something in that vain would be better I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like some nod towards the bases pointing to the nation. I think it keeps things moving faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brooks
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Some are born to move the world To live their fantasies But most of us just dream about The things we'd like to be Sadder still to watch it die Than never to have known it For you, the blind who once could see The bell tolls for thee...
mbmbmbmbmb
I would prefer Nation-based.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's important to be able to distinguish nations.

I would also recommend differentiating basic and elite dwarves a little better, giving the figure bases more weight (especially the Nazgul), making the region borders more pronounced (perhaps subdue the map?), and having larger text on the cards.

Are you going to include all the errata/faq info in the new rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think nation-based is probably best.

As a side note, STOP MAKING THINGS THAT YOU KNOW I MUST BUY. This is wildly irresponsible of you.

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Butler
United States
Glen Burnie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nation-based is definitely the way to go.
Also, as someone above mentioned, the Nazgul have the nasty habit of tipping over all the time. A weightier base or some other solution would be ideal.

I had no idea you guys were working on a collector's edition. This is amazing news.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
I reckon Nation Based is the way to go. You could tie them in with the colour of the nation boundaries on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of those two choices, I definitely prefer Nation-based.

However, if it's practical, I would really prefer the base to be colored based on Faction (red or blue) with a stripe around it at the edge that is the color of the figure's Nation:

Sauron - medium red bases with dark red stripes around the edges
Isengard - medium red bases with yellow stripes around the edges
S&E - medium red bases with orange stripes around the edges

Gondor - medium blue bases with dark blue stripes around the edges
Rohan - medium blue bases with dark green stripes around the edges
Elves - medium blue bases with light green stripes around the edges
Dwarves - medium blue bases with brown stripes around the edges
North - medium blue bases with light blue stripes around the edges

This would allow both affiliations to be represented.

The same color schemes could also be used on Character figures. This would help identify which Nations a Companion can activate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nation-based, for sure. I do like Krieghund's idea of nation and faction based. I can't wait to see it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Buel
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nation-based, for sure! That way Gondor looks like Gondor, Rohan looks like Rohan, and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Delahunt
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I like Krieghund's idea for sure. Solid yellow bases aren't that appealing to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think nation based.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zippadeedoodah
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I concur, colouring should be nation-based.

By the bye, what kind of price range are we talking about here..? If it's going to be like the Settlers of Catan 3D Deluxe edition, then no way will I buy it. No game is worth 300 euros. However, if the price will be a reasonable, chances are high that it will go on my wish list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Dziuk
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
I concur with all of the above - Nation based.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The indication seems very clear and fast - thanks! We'll investigate the dual coloring - everything is possible, but each step in the coloring adds to the cost of the figure, and if to keep things even, to have one extra step of coloring on the base means that we have one less on the figure, may be it's not worth it (or is it?).

Regarding the board, cards and so on, as I said EVERY component we'll be upgraded, and I will follow up with more questions on the other items shortly.
We'll definitely have a revised version of the rulebook and the card wordings, which hopefully will have a much shorter FAQ (I can't promise there will be NO need of a FAQ!). And we'll make the revised rulebook available on the web, of course, for people who already own the game.
Most likely this rulebook will become also the reference for future reprints of the game - but of course the way it will be printed will also be special to the Collector's Edition.

Regarding the cost, we don't plan to cost the same as 3D-Catan, but I can't say for sure yet as lot of things have still to be calculated. But I can promise that, whatever the cost, there will be a good ratio between production value and cost, as it was the case with the "regular" edition of the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cybernex wrote:
We'll investigate the dual coloring - everything is possible, but each step in the coloring adds to the cost of the figure, and if to keep things even, to have one extra step of coloring on the base means that we have one less on the figure, may be it's not worth it (or is it?).

This may potentially be solved by including the Nation color in the figures' general color scheme somehow. For example, Rohan figures' cloaks being the same dark green as the base ring. This may or may not work for all figures, but it would probably help with some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beaudoin
Canada
flag msg tools
Nation based would be nice.

By the way, do you intend to make new figures for Elessar and Gandalf the White, instead of the little chips you put under the figures of their earlier avatar?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nation based (although I hope people realize this will increase the cost ) I personally don't mind, as I am sure this is going to be a prett penny any which way you decide to go. I am looking foward to it.
Any absolutely new stuff being included? That you could mention, anyways?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
...and the Eye of Sauron the Terrible few could endure.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not really interested in buying another copy of the game after having painted my current set, but I would be VERY interested in the new cards.

Perhaps you could offer them separately as well? At least consider doing so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Trimmer
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*drools*

I can't wait to hear about the board upgrade. Bigger please!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
Will you be using he same figures as in the regular edition, or will you be replacing them with something of better quality?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LC
United States
Florissant
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Very Cool! I'm really glad you are including the extra figures and rules from battles of the third age that apply to war of the ring.

I would like to see the painted minis have their bases colored according to their faction within an alliance.

My extra 2 cents is that it would be nice to have a bigger board and larger font type on the cards if that can be managed.

Looking forward to it. This will be a must buy for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
NASA Dawn approaching Ceres
mbmbmbmbmb
cybernex wrote:
There are two choices: to make the coloring of the bases FACTION BASED (e.g. blue for the FP, red for the Shadow) and leave the overall paint scheme of each figure tells the difference between, say, Rohirrim and Elves - or make the coloring NATION BASED with every one of the 8 Nation with a different paint on the base.

Great news...

1. Nation based paint job

2. A reworked board that either makes the settlements easier to see or add in settlement minis (I painted up some settlers houses to show them).

3. Larger font text on the cards

4. If the board can't be redone, please give us a set of army unit counters to use as an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
MrSkeletor wrote:
This may give several people hard attacks, but after playing the game for the first time in ages last night I wouldbn't mind getting proper chits so you don't have to use minis. The board just isn't suited to them.

Yes! Please! That would be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.