Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
E Butler
United States
Hughesville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A collection of Q&A replies from Avalance Press at Consimworld and from the Avalanche Press website.

AVALANCE PRESS REPLIES AT CONSIMWORLD

Q. German set-up?

A. Sample hex from each: North: 3504, Center: 3302, South: 2802

Q. I am using the rule that each enemy unit that is adjacent to an enemy unit must be attacked by someone.. at some point.Am I wrong?

A. That's correct.

Q. The two unit maximum stacking (6.2) combined with maximum one infantry or shock army per hex (6.21) means either two corps can stack or one army and one corps. At least that what it means to me.

A. That's correct. Or put another way, the restriction is that you can't stack two armies together.

Q. Let's say a couple of full strength German units attack a full strength Russian unit. The Russian unit takes a one step loss.

The way I read the rule is that the Russian "flipped" unit must counter attack and is not able to pull back even one hex.

This doesn't make sense for the Russian "flipped" unit to be forced to take on two full strength German units.

A. The unit counter attacks at full strength before it is flipped as combat is simultaneous see rule 7.11.. It states that each player rolls a number of dice equal to it's attack strength.

Q. 7.12 says "The single terrain type least favorable to the attacker is used", which contradicts 9.1 "All terrain and weather effects are cumulative." I'm assuming 9.1 is the correct statement.

A. 9.1 is correct.

Q. Under the Supply rules it states that units eliminated while out of supply cannot be replaced. However, under the replacement rules this statement is only present under the Axis Replacement rules and does not appear under the Soviet Replacement rules. So .... is this a general rule for both sides or just a rule that applies to the Axis side?

A. "Death knows no politics. The rule applies to all."

Q. 1. An infantry unit can only move enemy ZOC to enemy ZOC if the hex they are leaving AND the one they are moving to, both already contain friendly unit.

2. Armour is not reliant on other friendly units in order to move from enemy ZOC to enemy ZOC but they pay an extra +1 MP if friends are absent.

A. "Both of these are exactly correct."

Q. and A. Got an official answer from William Sariego on the ZOC issue. As we suspected, all that matters (for ZOC-to-ZOC and RR movement) is that the hex was friendly occupied at the start of the movement phase. The unit need not remain in the hex to allow ZOC and RR movement.

Q. Is Sevastopol a mountain hex? If you look closely it appears to be so.

A. No. It is a fortress hex. Tiny slivers don't count.

Q. Can attackers combine firepower from attacking hexes that are adjacent to each other and obviously adjacent to the defender ?

A. yes

Q. Is combat handled strictly one attacking hex at a time, or can you combine to form multihex attack groups ?

A. see above

Q. How is attacking and defending handled in the following situation: Attacking units are in hex a, b, and c, none of which is adjacent to each other, but all of them are surrounding, adjacent to, and attacking an enemy unit in hex d. Do the attackers get to combine firepower even though they are not adjacent to friendly attackers ?

A. yes

Q. Can multiple units attacking from the same hex attack into different adjacent hexes i.e if there are two friendly units in hex a, which is adjacent to enemy units in hex b and other adjacent enemy units in hex c. Can one unit in hex a attack hex b and the other unit in hex a attack hex c ?

A. "Not only can they, sometimes they'll have to."

Q. Based upon adjacency to enemy units at time of combat, can a given unit attack more than once or defend more than once in a given combat round ? The rules dont seem to state anything explicit on this although I believe the INTENT would somehow be that every unit only attacks or defends once in a given combat round.

A. Only once.

Q. 1. Supply is determined at the beginning of the organization phase and then again at the beginning of the combat phase. Is it once again determined before exploitation Movement and then again before exploitation Combat?

A. "The rule reads "at the instant of combat" and that's what it means: check it each time you're about to roll dice for combat, whatever the phase."

Q. The way 6.6 reads there seems to be an Italian armor unit. Which unit is that? 6.61 seens to say that only German armor have 3 mps. How many mps would the Italian armor have?

A. "The rule reads "German and Italian armor, mountain and infantry." There is no Italian armor or mountain but there is an Italian infantry, the CSIR. As an infantry unit, it has one movement point."

Q. I assume that you can enter Hungary after the first turn?

A. "That's correct; the only restriction is under 6.7 Turn One Special Rules."

Q. Are board edge half hexes playable?

A. "Yes, but if this ever becomes an issue the game is as good as over."

Q. Fortress gets city effect also-does that mean armor -1 and then -1 again for the 'each attacking unit gets -1 to their combat strength'?

A. "Per 9.1, "All terrain and weather effects are cumulative." Armor suffers -2 against Leningrad."

Q. Do reinforcements get free rail movement?

A. "Per 6.5, "The Axis player is limited to moving three units (two during Snow turns) per turn by rail, and the Soviet player six units." Reinforcements are units like any other."

Q. I assume that if Zukov moves by rail it would count against the Soviet rail limit?

A. "As J.V. Stalin himself said, "Comrade Zhukov is worth an entire tank corps."

Q. Can Zukov add 1 to a Stalin stack (which will get +3 for an attack) if he is adjacent to the Stalin stack?

A. "See above. They are a powerful team. J.V. Stalin said, "That which is not expressly allowed is forbidden," but he was a murderous commie bastard, therefore in our rules sets that which is not expressly forbidden is allowed."

Q. Doesn't this mean that ONLY armor units can move from ZoC to ZoC?

A. "No. As 6.3 states, armor units can move from a ZOC to another ZOC and do not have to stop, depending on the weather. Their special power is not needing another unit present in the hex. Infantry units can move from a ZOC to a ZOC, but only if both hexes are already occupied by friendly units."

Q. But what if a attacking hex (with two stacked attackers) has three adjacent enemies. Can it make a single attack against TWO of the adjacent enemies (assuming another stack will attack the third)?

A. No.

Q. Rule 7.2 says, "If no other choice is available, retreat the minimum number of units to another hex until stacking limits are met, retreating the fewest number of hexes." Does this mean, retreat the fewest ADDITIONAL number of hexes beyond the number of hexes required to account of the hits suffered?

A. Yes.

Q. It would be good to get a definitive answer on the oozing infantry / ZOC question.

A. "Infantry units in a ZOC may make their minimum one hex of movement into another ZOC if (and only if) it's into a hex already occupied by another friendly unit."

Q. Compute combat factors?

A. Deal with terrain first then snow then leaders.

Q. There being no rule that states "regardless of modifiers, no unit is ever reduced below 1", should I accept the fact that in some situations there might arise a time when one side's units cannot fire at all?

A. Correct.

Q. As I read the rules, I cannot find anything to indicate that the Baltic Fleet does not count against stacking. The stacking rules are pretty clear

A. "Don't be too literal. The two fleet pieces also represent naval infantry under fleet command and coastal flotillas. They do count against stacking, but of course are not armies."

Q. If a non-shock army is present, it must absorb the first hit. OK. But in that case, what happens with the second hit? Is it ignored?

A. "No. In the situation you describe, there are two hits. Both must be applied. So, either the shock army takes both of them and takes one step loss, or the non-shock army takes both of them and takes two step losses."

Q. If there are two hits and shock and non-shock armies are present, Can a Shock army stacked with non-shock units take a step loss and count it as two hits?

A. "Yes - the owning player decides how to allocate all hits."

Q. 1. Should one always retreat as straight as possible towards the map edge, or can one choose the retreat hex, as long as it's towards the edge ?

A. "As long as each hex retreated-into is closer to the friendly map edge than the hex exited, then you're fine."

Q. Should a player always retreat to an empty hex towards the map edge or can a player choose to retreat to an hex behind him where he already has units (maybe to reinforce a future battle) even if a clear and empty retreat hex is also possible ?

A. "There is nothing in the rules saying you must retreat into empty hexes. The only requirement is that you not violate stacking limits

FROM AVALANCE PRESS WEBSITE

Q: For those of us not quite as familiar with the Axis Minors, who is who?

A: The 3-5 CSIR is Italian. The 4-4 Mob is Hungarian. The Azul 1-4 is Spanish. The hordes of yellow dudes are Romanian and the white guys are Finns.

Q: The “2” on the Hungarian unit is not encircled in white like other reinforcements. Is this significant?

A: Yes. The Hungarian unit must appear in Hungary.

Q: Where does the Black Sea Fleet begin?

A: Sevastopol.

Q: Can the Black Sea Fleet move into the Sea of Azov?

A: Yes. The “cannot leave the Black Sea” sentence is to keep novice players from trying to teleport to the Baltic!

Q: What do you mean by attacking “selective” hexes in the Exploitation Combat Phase?

A: Attacking in the Exploitation Combat Phase is optional. You do not have to attack every adjacent enemy unit. As long as a unit was capable of movement in the Exploitation Movement Phase (whether it moved or not) it can attack adjacent enemy units. Proper use of this phase is how you win the game. . . .

Q: The Terrain Effects chart and Terrain Key on the map use the word “Mountain.” The rules on page 10 say “rough.” Are they one and the same?

A: Yes.

Q: For an Out of Supply unit, how do you round its movement factor (page 5)?

A: Round fractions down.

Q: If the Axis capture Leningrad, but are subsequently isolated from tracing a rail line off the West map edge, are they out of supply or can they draw supply from Helsinki as per Finnish units in the Soviet Union?

A: Good question! In this case, they can draw supply from Helsinki.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kolenski
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of these answers seem a bit flip. I think it is awful that the non-circle on the Hungarian unit was not explained in the rules and that the Black Sea fleet set-up was also not in there. The Baltic fleet set up is in there but you'd have to read the whole rules first to find it. An introductory level game (and ideally any game maybe) should be playable piecemeal by looking up rules as needed. So all set-up info should be there under "set-up"! The answer about half-hexes seems too dismissive also since if reinforcements come in on board edge rail hexes, it may certainly make a difference if half hexes are in play. These can be big barriers for first-time wargamers. This question/answer has me baffled:

Q. Can multiple units attacking from the same hex attack into different adjacent hexes i.e if there are two friendly units in hex a, which is adjacent to enemy units in hex b and other adjacent enemy units in hex c. Can one unit in hex a attack hex b and the other unit in hex a attack hex c ?

A. "Not only can they, sometimes they'll have to."

The rules never clearly state that units in one hex can split their attack, but it does say that they can attack disparate units in one attack (or so I thought). So, in what circumstance is it that at times they MUST split their attack?! (What am I missing here?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.