bon accord
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hey!
badge
What're you looking at!
mbmbmbmbmb
"Masters of Earth snuff the flame."

My wife and I have only had this game for a few days, and have played twelve games, grouped in contests up to five crystals.

From what I have read I was under the impression that the Vulca was the more powerful deck, but thusfar they have come out on the losing end more often than the clever Hoax.

For this session, we decided to change decks after each round.

Round 1:

Penny: Hoax
Chris: Vulca

In our first battle, the fire scores escalated, until the Vulca prevailed. I now had one dragon.

In our second battle, we were pretty evenly matched on earth power, until the Hoax played "Brain Drain." This is a powerful support card, and in an Earth battle, the Vulca could not keep up without support or boosters. All the dragons were now in the neutral area.

The Vulca continued to be plagued by the Hoax and their dirty tricks in the next couple of battles, although they did manage to get a dragon with their "Charm Holy Dragon" card, played after the Hoax's support card prevented me from taking a dragon upon their retreat.

In our penultimate fight, the Hoax ran out of character cards, so the Vulca had all the dragons back in the neutral zone.

In our last fight, I had great earth cards, and the fight was on. The scores were high, and I even had Heroine of the Great Plains (She of the Painted Breasts) in reserve. Then came the mutant. I was low on cards and had to retreat.

The round consisted of six, smaller, but close battles, with the Hoax victorious.

Crystals:
Penny: 2
Chris: 0

Round 2:

Chris: Hoax
Penny: Vulca

This round only had four fights, one of them huge. The Hoax lost the first fight when I ran out of character cards.

The second fight was very intense and used up a lot of cards. First we started in fire, and the Vulca had the sore up to 9. I then played the Mutant and changed it to earth. After a few skirmishes, the Vulca used their armour, while I doubled my earth score with support up to 10. The Vulca played "Charm Holy Dragon" and retreated, resulting in my only getting all three dragons back into the neutral area.

The Vulca took the next fight, but in the last fight, the Hoax kept in the fight long enoungh for the Vulca to run out of cards completely and I attracted two dragons, with one coming over to my side.

Crystals
Penny: 2
Chris: 2

Round 3:

Chris: Vulca
Penny: Hoax

The Vulca took the first fight in fire, but the Hoax immediately countered with 5 earth, to which the Vulca had to retreat without having played a card.

The Vulca took yet another fight as the Hoax had no character cards. Having to discard when declining a fight is an agonizing decision, but the Hoax came out fighting. After an initial skirmish, The Vulca played five fire, and "Pandemonium," limiting the Hoax to playing only one card. That's when my wife played the obese guy with a scroll loincloth--the one that doubles existing support cards. I thought I had that one, but she attracted two dragons.

I initiated the next battle, but soon found myself without a character card. The Hoax now had three dragons.

The sixth fight was the most intense. I had to discard and draw, and the fight was in fire, so I played the only character card I had for 7 fire. Then my wife discarded two cards from my hand--I hate that card! (except when I get to play it). Then Penny managed to get the Hoax's score up to 9 fire, which I couldn't counter. The Vulca were beat at their own game!

Crystals
Penny: 6
Chris: 2

The Hoax have a lot of versatility with their booster and support cards, which have to be limited by the Vulca. Despite the Vulca being more of a powerhouse deck, we are finding it to be the more challenging to play against the Hoax and all their tricks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your experience is interested. My fiance and I had a lopsided experience but it was definitely in favor of the Vulca. We owned Blue Moon for a short period and played a bunch of games before deciding that if we were going to play that sort of card battle game then we were better off spending time on a good Warcraft CCG duel. It lasts longer but the balance is in your control. Knizia didn't do the best job on those two decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

My wife and I...

My fiance and I...

Where do you find (relationship-worthy) Blue Moon playing women?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a beautiful thing. She's on BGG hunting down trades for Mr. Jack and other wanted items as much or more than me. I actually find that there are a lot of gaming couples on BGG and it's been great to see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wharekumera wrote:
Quote:

My wife and I...

My fiance and I...

Where do you find (relationship-worthy) Blue Moon playing women?

They exist. Blue Moon is one of my wife's favorite games. We don't get to play a lot since she's in school, but it's the most played game in my collection thanks to her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris carleton
Canada
bon accord
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hey!
badge
What're you looking at!
mbmbmbmbmb
They definitely exist. My wife and I play a lot of confrontational games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Grubert
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just started playing this with my wife. One of the few games she likes is Lost Cities. Pointing out that Blue Moon is by the same author helped.
I am not sure if she is really into Blue Moon, but we've been playing 3 games now and she keeps beating me with these Vulca. I really do think there's a balance issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cross_ wrote:
Just started playing this with my wife. One of the few games she likes is Lost Cities. Pointing out that Blue Moon is by the same author helped.
I am not sure if she is really into Blue Moon, but we've been playing 3 games now and she keeps beating me with these Vulca. I really do think there's a balance issue.
This will pass. The Vulca are easier to win with, but once you know the cards, the Hoax will be back with a vengence. Then you will have to learn the play the Vulca better.

This has happened before to just about everybody. Wait till you learn to play the Flit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris carleton
Canada
bon accord
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hey!
badge
What're you looking at!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Wait till you learn to play the Flit.

No kidding. My wife and I are currently doing a round robin with five of the decks: Vulca, Hoax, Khind, Aqua, Flit. The Aqua seemed tricky at first, but we got the hang of them.

The Flit we are getting better at; however, they will definitely take a few more plays to master (we've played them about a dozen times now).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls