Subject: Crisis Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neuro Mancer
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello to all

I have seen new Twilight Struggle - Turn Zero expansion and instantly liked the idea of the Crisis Cards. So i have thought that this concept could be applied in the main game to add some unpredictable events.

My idea is that every turn before the headline, one crisis card should be played and resolved. Rolls are resolved in the same way as in "Turn Zero"

Early war: (8 cards)
3 pro-US Crisis, 3 pro-USSR Crisis and 2 neutral crisis
At the beginning randomly draw 1 card from pro-US, 1 from pro USSR and 1 from neutral pile. This 3 cards should be randomly played one before every headline of each of the 3 early war turns.

Mid War: (12 Cards)
6 pro-US Crisis, 6 pro-USSR Crisis
At the beginning randomly draw 2 cards from pro-US, 2 from pro USSR and one from neutral pile. This 4 cards should be randomly played one before every headline of each of the 4 mid war turns.

Late War: (8 cards)
At the beginning randomly draw 1 card from pro-US, 1 from pro USSR and 1 from neutral pile. This 3 cards should be randomly played one before every headline of each of the 3 Late war turns.

Events/Crisis cards that i have created so far are:
(It would be long to explain all the results for rolls, and effects are to be tested yet, so i will only state where is the effect of crisis)

Early war:
Pro-US
Iranian Coup 1953 Operation Ajax (Much needed help for US in the Middle East)
Greek Civil War (unjustly omitted from the game help for US in Europe to prevent USSR early Domination if Italy falls)
Guatemalan Coup (help for US in Central America - could be replaced with Paraguayan Civil War if it is better for US to gain foothold in South America instead
EDIT: after consideration instead of both cards maybe better to put Trieste Crisis (gives US influence in Italy+possibly reduces USSR influence in Yugoslavia - to help US in Europe)so US gets sure one event in most crirtical battlegrounds at start _Europe and Middle East

Pro USSR
Taiwan Strait Crisis (help for USSR in case of Early US Domination in Asia)
Algerian War of Independence (Help for USSR in Africa)
14 July Revolution (Iraq - Middle East)

Neutral
Geneva Summit (increase DEFCON by 1)
Massive Retaliation (decrease DEFCON by 1)

Mid War

Pro-US
Lebanon Crisis (operation Blue Bat) (Lebanon - M.East)
30. September Movement (Indonesia - SE Asia)
Checkpoint Charlie Stand-off (E. Germany - E Europe))
Bolivian Campaign (Bolivia - S.America)
Korean DMZ conflict (S.Korea - Asia)
Congo Crisis (Zaire - Africa)
Possible replacement for one of the events - Communist Insurgency War (Malaysia- Asia)

Pro-USSR
Cambodian Civil War (Laos/Cambodia - Asia)
Watergate (US player skips headline - discards random card instead)
Operation Zapata - Bay of Pigs Invasion (Cuba - Central America)
Namibian War of Independence (Africa)
Libyan Revolution (M. East) Possibly replaced with North Yemen Civil War
Chadian Civil War (Africa)

Late War

Pro-US
Falklands War (S.America/UK)
Invasion of Grenada (C. America)
Operation Epervier (Africa)
(all of these events also provide VP-s for US)

Pro-USSR
Saur Revolution (Afghanistan - Asia) important event but contradictory with Bear Trap which is Mid war event
Ogaden War (Ethiopia/Somalia - Africa)
Sino Vietnamese War (Vietnam,/China - Asia also prevents the opponent use China Card this turn)

Neutral:
Able Archer (Degrades DEFCON - possibly gain VP)
Reykjavik Summit (improve DEFCON)

If anyone want to game test i would gladly send printer-friendly draft versions of cards in Word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McNaughton
United Kingdom
Derby
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It needs to be called the "Events, dear boy, events" variant.

Supposedly Harold Macmillan's response to being asked about the greatest challenge of leadership.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Shugars
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
neur0mancer wrote:
Hello to all

I have seen new Twilight Struggle - Turn Zero expansion and instantly liked the idea of the Crisis Cards. So i have thought that this concept could be applied in the main game to add some unpredictable events.

My idea is that every turn before the headline, one crisis card should be played and resolved. Rolls are resolved in the same way as in "Turn Zero"

Early war: (8 cards)
At the beginning randomly draw 1 card from pro-US, 1 from pro USSR and 1 from neutral pile. This 3 cards should be randomly played one before every headline of each of the 3 early war turns.

Mid War: (12 Cards)
6 pro-US Crisis, 6 pro-USSR Crisis
At the beginning randomly draw 2 cards from pro-US, 2 from pro USSR and one from neutral pile. This 4 cards should be randomly played one before every headline of each of the 4 mid war turns.

Late War: (8 cards)
At the beginning randomly draw 1 card from pro-US, 1 from pro USSR and 1 from neutral pile. This 3 cards should be randomly played one before every headline of each of the 3 Late war turns.

Events/Crisis cards that i have created so far are:
(It would be long to explain all the results for rolls, and effects are to be tested yet, so i will only state where is the effect of crisis)

Early war:
Pro-US
Iranian Coup 1953 Operation Ajax (Much needed help for US in the Middle East)
Greek Civil War (unjustly omitted from the game help for US in Europe to prevent USSR early Domination if Italy falls)
Guatemalan Coup (help for US in Central America - could be replaced with Paraguayan Civil War if it is better for US to gain foothold in South America instead
EDIT: after consideration instead of both cards maybe better to put Trieste Crisis (gives US influence in Italy+possibly reduces USSR influence in Yugoslavia - to help US in Europe)so US gets sure one event in most crirtical battlegrounds at start _Europe and Middle East

Pro USSR
Taiwan Strait Crisis (help for USSR in case of Early US Domination in Asia)
Algerian War of Independence (Help for USSR in Africa)
14 July Revolution (Iraq - Middle East)

Neutral
Geneva Summit (increase DEFCON by 1)
Massive Retaliation (decrease DEFCON by 1)

Mid War

Pro-US
Lebanon Crisis (operation Blue Bat) (Lebanon - M.East)
30. September Movement (Indonesia - SE Asia)
Checkpoint Charlie Stand-off (E. Germany - E Europe))
Bolivian Campaign (Bolivia - S.America)
Korean DMZ conflict (S.Korea - Asia)
Congo Crisis (Zaire - Africa)
Possible replacement for one of the events - Communist Insurgency War (Malaysia- Asia)

Pro-USSR
Cambodian Civil War (Laos/Cambodia - Asia)
Watergate (US player skips headline - discards random card instead)
Operation Zapata - Bay of Pigs Invasion (Cuba - Central America)
Namibian War of Independence (Africa)
Libyan Revolution (M. East) Possibly replaced with North Yemen Civil War
Chadian Civil War (Africa)

Late War

Pro-US
Falklands War (S.America/UK)
Invasion of Grenada (C. America)
Operation Epervier (Africa)
(all of these events also provide VP-s for US)

Pro-USSR
Saur Revolution (Afghanistan - Asia) important event but contradictory with Bear Trap which is Mid war event
Ogaden War (Ethiopia/Somalia - Africa)
Sino Vietnamese War (Vietnam,/China - Asia also prevents the opponent use China Card this turn)

Neutral:
Able Archer (Degrades DEFCON - possibly gain VP)
Reykjavik Summit (improve DEFCON)

If anyone want to game test i would gladly send printer-friendly draft versions of cards in Word.

This sounds very intriguing. Would love to see the cards when you have them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neuro Mancer
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have draft printer friendly version ready to print in word.
PM me your email please so i can attach the file (or explain me how to upload it here blush )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Shugars
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
neur0mancer wrote:
PM me your email please so i can attach the file (or explain me how to upload it here blush )

Click on Twilight Struggle. Then click on Files, then click on +Upload and follow the instructions there. Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neuro Mancer
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fredact wrote:
neur0mancer wrote:

Click on Twilight Struggle. Then click on Files, then click on +Upload and follow the instructions there. Good luck.

Thx for the help - i will sure post it for further downloads.

Also i hope to post some other expansions for TS that i have in mind

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Shugars
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We got a chance to try out these cards. They were really, really well done. Each brings a different real world crisis to the table before each turn, and a roll of the die determines if it gives a bit of help one way or the other.

Before trying them, I was concerned that the randomness would skew things too much, but that fear turned out to be groundless. The cards just give a small nudge one way or the other, and sometimes opening up play in parts of the board that we the players would not (yet) enter. And often, just like in the regular game, an event that is "for" one player, actually can help the other--e.g. we had one that put some early USSR influence in Guatemala-a great entry for USSR to Mexico, but also gave a Non-BG coup target to the US.

I play regularly with one opponent, and we anticipate adding these cards frequently to our weekly games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neuro Mancer
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to our two forum members (Fred and John) who helped me in initial playtesting and in making small corrections of the Crisis Event Cards.

I have posted file with the draft version of the Crisis Events Cards https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/135173/crisis-variant... so anyone who wants can include Crisis Events into TS game.

If you played with Crisis Events, please PM me or post your experience and suggestions here so i can correct the cards for the final version.

I will make "real" cards with full event descriptions as soon as i receive enough feedback for possible corrections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Shugars
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've now played 30 games with the Crisis Cards and thoroughly enjoy it. It adds some variety to the game without being overbearing.

Recently we've had a few more wins by the US than usual (we don't use the additional US IP variant), and a the play between the two of us has been closer. This may be random, or unrelated, but one would think that throwing in a bit more randomness (as the crisis cards do) would tend to bring things slightly back toward 50%. For us, that's a good thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neuro Mancer
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx - i'm glad that you like the Crisis Cards.

I will soon post updated version with "neutral" Crisis Events that you have tested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Shugars
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are now at well over 100 games played using the Crisis Cards. We wouldn't consider playing without them.

Since it's always just the same 2 of us, throwing in the little crisis wrinkles that the cards cause, keeps the game very fresh, and eliminates any chance that the games are routine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Benito Richards
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any updates to the crisis cards as a result of the additional playtesting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Shugars
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prowler wrote:

We like them so much, we are working on adding a few more.

As far as their impact on gameplay, as I think I mentioned elsewhere, they do add a bit more randomness, which tends to bring the players and the countries closer together in results. We think that's a good thing.

They make you change strategies sometimes, which is fun. They really are kind of a "crisis" in that respect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McGeehin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I can think of a few in countries that don't see much play:

Austrian State Treaty (Early War)

1: Soviets win over population heartily. Remove all US influence from Austria, add 4 USSR influence, and remove 1 US influence from the UK and France. Austria is no longer considered a "Western Europe" country.
2: Ilitchov and Figl close allies: Add sufficient USSR influence for Control in Austria.
3-4: Austrian parliament declares "Permanent Neutrality." Remove all US and USSR influence from Austria. Austria may not be selected as a country for "Marshall Plan", "Warsaw Pact Formed" or "COMECON" Events.
5: Thompson and Wallinger take charge. Add sufficient US influence for Control in Austria.
6: Austria becomes vibrant democracy. Remove all USSR influence from Austria and add 4 US influence to Austria. US player gains +1 to all Operations if all Operations points are spent in Europe for this turn.

1956 Hungarian Revolution (Early War)

1: Soviets take notice of Nagy and move quickly against any opposition. Apply the 2-3 result, and USSR may remove up to 4 US Influence from any countries in Eastern Europe
2-3: Revolution is crushed quickly, Nagy executed. USSR adds sufficient influence for Control.
4-5: Revolution picks up steam, Soviets look weak. Remove all USSR influence from Hungary.
6: Nagy ascendant, Gero and Kadar executed: Apply the 4-5 result. US gains sufficient influence in Hungary for Control, and "Warsaw Pact" may not remove Influence from Hungary.

Operation Condor (Mid War)

1: Operation is exposed, Kissinger disgraced: USSR may add sufficient influence to control one battleground country and one non-battleground country of their choice in South America. For the rest of the turn, coups in Battleground states do not degrade DEFCON for the USSR.
2-3: Operation supports minor juntas, but does not catch fire. USSR adds 4 influence in South America, no more than 2 per country.
4-5: Kissinger's support continues: US player may remove 3 USSR influence from South America.
6: Juntas purge leftists. Remove all USSR influence from three countries in South America and replace it with equal US influence, or add 4 influence to any countries in South America if USSR has no Influence there. "Junta" is no longer playable as an Event for USSR.

I haven't balanced these yet, but I hope you find them interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neuro Mancer
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prowler wrote:

Hello! Glad to hear from you

Yes - the Playtesters like Crisis Cards and i am waiting to receive the final report and updates.

Until now we had few adjustments and some new cards, but still waiting for the final updates. If you are interested in progress i can send the files to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neuro Mancer
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt620 wrote:
I can think of a few in countries that don't see much play:

Austrian State Treaty (Early War)

1: Soviets win over population heartily. Remove all US influence from Austria, add 4 USSR influence, and remove 1 US influence from the UK and France. Austria is no longer considered a "Western Europe" country.
2: Ilitchov and Figl close allies: Add sufficient USSR influence for Control in Austria.
3-4: Austrian parliament declares "Permanent Neutrality." Remove all US and USSR influence from Austria. Austria may not be selected as a country for "Marshall Plan", "Warsaw Pact Formed" or "COMECON" Events.
5: Thompson and Wallinger take charge. Add sufficient US influence for Control in Austria.
6: Austria becomes vibrant democracy. Remove all USSR influence from Austria and add 4 US influence to Austria. US player gains +1 to all Operations if all Operations points are spent in Europe for this turn.

1956 Hungarian Revolution (Early War)

1: Soviets take notice of Nagy and move quickly against any opposition. Apply the 2-3 result, and USSR may remove up to 4 US Influence from any countries in Eastern Europe
2-3: Revolution is crushed quickly, Nagy executed. USSR adds sufficient influence for Control.
4-5: Revolution picks up steam, Soviets look weak. Remove all USSR influence from Hungary.
6: Nagy ascendant, Gero and Kadar executed: Apply the 4-5 result. US gains sufficient influence in Hungary for Control, and "Warsaw Pact" may not remove Influence from Hungary.

Operation Condor (Mid War)

1: Operation is exposed, Kissinger disgraced: USSR may add sufficient influence to control one battleground country and one non-battleground country of their choice in South America. For the rest of the turn, coups in Battleground states do not degrade DEFCON for the USSR.
2-3: Operation supports minor juntas, but does not catch fire. USSR adds 4 influence in South America, no more than 2 per country.
4-5: Kissinger's support continues: US player may remove 3 USSR influence from South America.
6: Juntas purge leftists. Remove all USSR influence from three countries in South America and replace it with equal US influence, or add 4 influence to any countries in South America if USSR has no Influence there. "Junta" is no longer playable as an Event for USSR.

I haven't balanced these yet, but I hope you find them interesting.

Hello!

You have very interesting ideas - thank you for them

Maybe at first they look little OP but our playtesters will know better

Austrian State Treaty - yes as you say Austria is truly neglected so we also have not this card among the Crisis Cards - maybe it should be neutral type card

Hungarian Revolution - also neglected, but we have one card in draft version named Red Army Intervention (pro-USSR) which adds USSR IP/removes US IP in Eastern Europe

Operation Condor - have draft version of it

Crisis Cards have 3 types of events - Neutral, US and USSR
US and USSR events are resolved with die roll applying some modifiers +/-
For example USSR event is resolved with following results:
1 - event is aiding the USSR (non historical outcome - better for USSR)
2,3 - event is aiding the USSR (historical outcome)
4,5 - No effect
6 - event is aiding the USA (non historical outcome)

according to that 1956 Hungarian Revolution (USSR Event) should be:
1: Soviets take notice of Nagy and move quickly against any opposition. Apply the 2-3 result, and USSR may remove up to X US Influence from any countries in Eastern Europe (non-historical, better outcome for USSR)
2-3: Revolution crushed, Nagy executed. USSR adds sufficient influence for Control. (Historical outcome)
4-5: Minor protests, no need for intervention - (No effect)
6: Nagy ascendant, Gero and Kadar executed. US gains X influence in Hungary, (and maybe "Warsaw Pact" may not remove Influence from Hungary) - (non-historical - better outcome for US)

Also some modifiers may be applied to the dice roll
For example -1 modifier (pro-USSR) if Warsaw pact event played or maybe -1 if USSR controls at least 3 E.European Countries, also +1 (pro-US) if US has Influence in any country adjacent to Hungary

Same for US Events but die rolls are:

1 - event is aiding the USSR (non historical outcome)
2,3 - No effect
4,5 - event is aiding the USA (historical outcome)
6 - event is aiding the USA (non historical outcome - better for USA)

also with +/- modifiers to die roll

Neutral events don't have this type of die roll but are resolved as events
For example Austrian State Treaty as Neutral Event should be:
If Austria is uncontrolled - remove all US and USSR influence from Austria

Thanks again for the ideas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls