Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy
United States
flag msg tools
Dino DNA!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the official SBL discussion thread - there is only one!

Here are the current standings - w00t!

Here's the team rosters - w00t!

---

OK everyone, so after reading up on how bowling leagues work - something I never really thought about too much! (turns out, there are about a million ways to structure a bowling league - who knew?) I came up with something that seems like the best match with what people were most interested in - which is basically a series of matches between teams. I hope it works will and will be fun for everyone!

Since this is the first “season” I thought it would make sense to try to keep it as simple as possible. We can always change the format going forward. To make it easier to participate, I also wanted to keep the whole season short, and not require everyone to play too many games each week.

The trickiest thing was coming up with guidelines for how substitutes will work in case someone misses a week. It seemed like something that should be clarified up front, so I started typing up a plan and the next thing you know we had by-laws! (link at the bottom - apparently all good bowling leagues have by-laws)

How it works
Basically for this first “pilot” run, we’ll have 10 teams of 3. Each team will play two 2-game matches a week against 2 other teams. Points will be awarded for wins, ties, and most pins (it’s all in the by-laws!). Anyone can sign up to be on a team on a first come-first-serve basis. If all the team slots are full, you can still sign up as a substitute, in which case you may be rotated onto a team, and either way will still be eligible for the individual prizes!

At the end, there will be an 8-team “Roll Off” to determine the champion team. Individual player “awards” will also be given to the player with the best average and the most pins.

The season will play out over 6 weeks. During the first 5 weeks, 10 teams and 2 matches/week (1 match in week 5) in the round robin stage. The top 8 teams will advance to the Roll Off, and will play 3 matches in the 6th week - so will have to bowl 6 games instead of the usual 4. Subs and players on the teams that aren't in the Roll Off can still bowl 6 games in week 6 to count toward the individual prizes.

Your weekly scores will need to be submitted by Sunday at 11:59 pm each week. If you will need to miss a week, it’s probably a good idea to let your teammates know as early as possible in case either of them wants to sub for you. I’ll post the updated standings here as early as possible in the week (hopefully each Monday!)

Sign-up is open!
Sign-up will open today and will close on Sunday 6/12 at a minute to midnight. Then I’ll post the schedule for the entire season.

TO SIGN UP, here's what you should do:
1. go to the team spreadsheet here and put your BGG username down for one of the ten 3-person teams (I gave them names after solo game stuff, but feel free to rename your teams too!). You can also sign up to be a sub if all of the team slots are taken.

2. Look over the by-laws (link below)

3. Ask any questions you have in this thread right here - the Official Discussion Thread of the Solitaire Bowling League (ODTotSBL)

4. Check after sign-up ends on Sunday 6/12 to see the full schedule (should be posted at some point on Monday 6/13 - will post sooner if all the teams slots are full before Sunday)

Quick Reference
-The schedule and weekly team and individual standings will be posted on Official SBL Schedule here

-Details about the league are in the by-laws.

-All scores for the current week should be submitted by 11:59 pm on Sunday using the official score submitting form. Please fill this out completely, otherwise tallying scores for teams will be really difficult! Also, to avoid confusion, a given week’s scores should be submitted during that week, not ahead of time (even if the game was actually played ahead of time).

-We're playing Sid Sackson’s Bowling Solitaire. More info and rules are available in the book A Gamut of Games, or from this review on the Bowling Solitaire BGG page

-Scoring works like regular 10 pin bowling. You can keep score on paper or using this handy spreadsheet created by
Ian Davies
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
Y Ddraig Goch Ddyry Gychwyn.
badge
One of these days I'm going to play a board game.
mbmbmbmbmb

OK that should do it. Good luck everyone and have fun! meeple

EDIT: After a lively debate and a poll, here are the agreed-up clarifications to a couple rules that were causing some confusion:

Official SBL Rule Clarifications, determined by majority vote of the voting members of the SBL - So It Goes:

1. The rules for when you can remove the A, B, C, and D ("back row") cards, and F card alone, are in effect at the start of a frame, and remains in effect until a card has been played from one the ball piles to remove at least one pin card. At that point, future plays can target the A, B, C, and D cards.

2. Once at least one pin card has been removed in a frame, the "adjacency" rule comes into effect, and any future pin cards removed have to be adjacent to pin cards that have already been removed in that frame. This adjacency carries over through the frame - the rule shouldn't be "reset" when moving to the 2nd ball of a frame.

If anyone is still confused about these points, please IM me and I will tell everyone something different
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Solitaire Bowling League - sign up now!
Had to be part of The Blip Piles.

Thanks for setting this up, Andy. Sounds like fun.

Let 'em roll!!

EDIT: Also, the By-Laws link goes to the scoring spreadsheet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United States
flag msg tools
Dino DNA!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haha great! thanks for letting me know about the link - just fixed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Davies
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm signed up and looking forward to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United States
flag msg tools
Dino DNA!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. Thanks again for that spreadsheet too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evans VOTSIOS
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
badge
Made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Blob wheels sounds amazing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Davies
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pjandy wrote:
Cool. Thanks again for that spreadsheet too!
No worries. I created it for me so I wouldn't have to keep writing on paper. Then I realised other people may like it as well so I submitted it to BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B.
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could someone signup "brianmbe" for The Leadoff Doubles? My phone won't let me download the app to edit Google Docs?? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Im in! And I signed you up brianmbe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B.
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
overhaul wrote:
Im in! And I signed you up brianmbe.

Much appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay- I signed up for the "Life Tokens." I hope those come with the tournament- I may need some!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan P
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
govmiller wrote:
Okay- I signed up for the "Life Tokens." I hope those come with the tournament- I may need some!

In for Life Tokens as well. This should be fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell Beitzel
United States
Mountlake Terrace
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As a pilot I felt it was my responsibility to sign up for the 1st Airborne and represent!

Hopefully I won't embarrass. Lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Gaidos
United States
Molalla
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go 1st Airborne! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mayes
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Whilst I count my schnookels”
mbmbmbmbmb
Woohoo! Awesome!

Thanks, Mo, for signing me up. Now we just need our official Blip Piles bowling shirts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Doyle
United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in

Been too busy for gaming for ages so looking forward to this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Hey, you're touching my face...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in. I joined the Blip Piles, but I'm considering switching so that I can talk trash to Mo and Ryan, two of the nicest guys around these parts. whistle

edit: Also, big thumbs up for the use of Google Docs. You've made this Google certified educator proud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D a v i d B u r k e y
United States
Fort Smith
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I have never let schooling interfere with my education...
badge
All generalizations are false, including this one...
mbmbmbmbmb
Being a chemist and all, I felt like I had to sign up for the Blazin Elementals. Ready to bowl!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Oliver
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
green team + govmiller = I'm on Life Tokens
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty "TIRED" Malone
United States
Mansfield
Texas
flag msg tools
Knowledge is light
badge
Be the Change
mbmbmbmbmb
I signed up for the team whose name I didn't know what it meant. Seemed appropriate to me. Andy,,, kudos to you on how professional this set up is. Really stoked to play. Can we start playing now and submit when we get the chance. I apologize if I missed that in the"by laws"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maloma wrote:
I signed up for the team whose name I didn't know what it meant. Seemed appropriate to me. Andy,,, kudos to you on how professional this set up is. Really stoked to play. Can we start playing now and submit when we get the chance. I apologize if I missed that in the"by laws"

Snap! This is what happens when I don't read carefully. I've now joined your team BECAUSE of the name.

Good grief. I got chills just watching 5 seconds of that. How did Peter Jackson screw up the Hobbit SO BAD?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys, can someone please put my name on the "Irregulars".
Name "Lines42"
The list seems uneditable for me on iPad and I won't be on PC before tomorrow.
Don't want to be late to the party :-)

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Oliver
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lines42 wrote:
Guys, can someone please put my name on the "Irregulars".
Name "Lines42"
The list seems uneditable for me on iPad and I won't be on PC before tomorrow.
Don't want to be late to the party :-)

Thanks!
Done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty "TIRED" Malone
United States
Mansfield
Texas
flag msg tools
Knowledge is light
badge
Be the Change
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I should just hand over my geek card but I've seen all of the movies 2 or 3 times but I do not memorize all of the characters their names and the little details. It took me about three watches before I could remember Hermione. Star Wars I was better with but that was because I played with the action figures as a child. Names were important but in a visual setting the faces mean more than the names where in a literary element the names are all you have. Sorry for my ineptitude at recognizing a hallowed reference to LOTR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maloma wrote:
Maybe I should just hand over my geek card but I've seen all of the movies 2 or 3 times but I do not memorize all of the characters their names and the little details. It took me about three watches before I could remember Hermione. Star Wars I was better with but that was because I played with the action figures as a child. Names were important but in a visual setting the faces mean more than the names where in a literary element the names are all you have. Sorry for my ineptitude at recognizing a hallowed reference to LOTR.

It's all good sir! Now I get to talk trash to Mo and Ryan.

How does one talk trash anyway?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] |