Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: flgs [+] dc [+] virginia [+] [View All]
Jeff
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to be in Fairfax, VA, probably Alexandria, VA, and DC this weekend. Are there any good FLGS in the DC/suburban VA area? I would also prefer if they're close to the tourist areas, as I'll be with family and it'll be tough to get away.

I'm a board/card gamer and not into minis and CCGs, of which a lot of FLGS specialize in. Thus any FLGS recommended should have a decent selection of board/card games, where any imports or OOPs would be a bonus.

Let me know.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best place in DC is Child's Play on Connecticut Avenue just south of the MD border (it's an amazing toy store with a Eurogames-loving owner and staff). And there's a parking lot right behind it, so it's driver-friendly if that's how you're getting about. (It's about a 15 minute walk from the Metro -- get off at Friendship Heights and walk east along Western Ave. (toward the houses not the high-rises) until Connecticut Ave., turn right and go about a block and a half.)

There's a good game store near Dulles (Game Parlor in Chantilly: http://www.gameparlor.com/).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To give you an idea how good Child's Play is, they stock stuff like Khet, Polarity, and Qwirkle as well as titles from larger publishers like Rio Grande, Days of Wonder, Queen, Fantasy Flight, Kosmos, Mayfair, etc. and they carry a wide but still selective range of kid-oriented Euros from HABA, Selecta, and Ravensburger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weller
United States
Edina
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few decent FLGS in the DC metro-area, but unfortunately there are none (that I know of) in DC proper. Check out the link below that has a pretty good summary of all the game stores in the DC-VA-MD area.

http://www.gamesclubofmd.org/GameStores.asp

Within VA, there are two stores that I've been to -- the Compleat Strategist (The Compleat Strategist, Falls Church, VA, 103 East Broad Street, 703-532-2477) and the Game Parlor in Chantilly. The Compleat Strategist would be closest for you, but it's fairly small and the prices are sometimes about the recommended retail price. But they have a good selection for their size.

The Game Parlor in VA, though, is hands down the best store in the area. It's huge, has a fantastic selection, is well lit and clean, has friendly staff . . . the only problem is that it's a fair ways from downtown DC.

In MD, I've only been to Dream Wizards in the Rockville area. It's an okay place, if not a bit dingy and smelly (like dirty socks). But they have a fairly decent stock of games. Their focus is more on Warhammer and MTG stuff. Not my cup o' tea.

Hope this helps, and enjoy your trip to DC!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Shepherd
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second the recommendation for The Game Parlor. They have two locations, both about the same distance from DC. One, as mentioned above, in Chantilly, near Dulles Airport. Chantilly borders Fairfax, and as a bonus its only a few miles from the Air & Space Museum.

The second is in Woodbridge, VA, about 20 to 30 minutes from DC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The DC "tourist attraction" nearest the Woodbridge Games Parlor would be Potomac Mills Mall, which is a gigantic outlet mall that includes a broad range of stores (Saks/Neiman Marcus to Lego/OshKosh). It's the highlight of my Parisian friend's annual visits. Go figure.

You pretty much have to drive to get there and it's closer to 45 minutes from where I live in DC. Traffic can get really nasty, so if you decide to go, plan accordingly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Game Parlor!

Good people, good store, good time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falafel Palmer
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Child's Play is about a 15 min. drive north of the zoo, which, is a pretty good zoo. and free!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to thank everyone for their input. I ended up going to the Game Parlor, since my relatives go there and it was close.

I really liked their setup--it pretty much catered to all types of gamers. Most importantly, their board game selection was quite large. I had to browse quickly due to time, however I could've spent a while in there. I found the staff very helpful and decent to talk with. I would definitely stop back there again the next time I'm in the DC area.

Oh yeah, I only left with Bootleggers, Gang of Four, Saboteur, Games Quarterly with Catan River expansion, and a portable dice tower.

DC was beautiful this time of year. I hated leaving mid-70s there and returning to mid-30s here.

Thanks.

Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Smith
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You left just in time considering that we're expecting snow tonight! surprise

While we're on the topic of DC area game shops, I recently visited two stores listed on the Games Club of Maryland site that were a total let down. If only I had noticed this thread earlier!

Liberty Comics in College Park, MD doesn't sell boardgames, despite being on the list. They had a couple CCGs, but hardly any at that.

Hobbytown in Rockville, MD is a great looking hobby shop, but very little in the way of boardgames. They had a few good titles, but they were mostly expansions... no core games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls