United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
This has long been on the "to do" list, and I'm happy to say we can now take it off that list...

To assign/change values for your own items use the existing "Step 3 view of your own items" page, ie. click on the icon
from the navigation bar. Enter values and click on the submit button at the end of the table.

To assign/change values for your wants use the existing methods... in step 3 you can assign a value when you add/edit, or assign values in step 4.

The values you assign to your own items are now used as the primary sort for the columns in step 4 (highest valued item will be left most, etc).

Instructions for auto-checking are within step 4 itself... simply click on the link in step 4 and the OLWLG will load the page and auto-check any boxes where the value you assigned a want is greater or equal to the value you assigned your own items, and of course was not already checked. The cell tables that were auto-checked will be highlighted with a pink background. You will need to "Confirm Changes" as usual, after optionally making any other changes (checking and unchecking).

Note: I'm thinking I should check and ignore (ie. not auto-check for) any wants you have that are already on a dummy item... anyone think I shouldn't ignore those?
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is excellent news! Thank you

One word of warning though - as with all "autocheck" tools, they will autocheck cash-for-cash if you assign simple numerical values creating arbitrages. There are work-arounds, but nothing beats double and triple checking the results to make sure there are no cash/cash ticks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Aldridge
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorting the table seems to have been broken. I've tried with Safari, Firefox and Chrome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Broken in what way? For me in the German MT I am getting vertical and horizontal sorting exactly as I would expect ... (Windows: chrome, also firefox)

Is safari some kind of Mac thing?

Edit: I'm referring to Step 4 here; not Step 3. I think Step 3 might indeed be broken (or just terribly slow). Sorry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
Note: I'm thinking I should check and ignore (ie. not auto-check for) any wants you have that are already on a dummy item... anyone think I shouldn't ignore those?
I don't have a view on that - sometimes I would want the answer to be 'no', sometimes 'yes'.

What *might* be worth thinking about is *not* auto-checking altname for altname wants - thereby avoiding cash/cash og GC/GC arbitrage, but - of course - meaning non-cash Outside Scope items would need to be manually selected.

I fear a huge rush of accidental arbitrages as folks try-out this very nice new feature! Maybe suppress it for now, but enable it if there is clamour for it once people get used to it? But there are always new folks coming along ... Maybe highlight instances where there is no gameid=xxxx or equivalent in the listing?

The new feature is powerful and really welcome - but - like most things - dangerous in inexperienced hands!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Aldridge
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, I'm not. Trying to finish the Origins MT before it closes Step 3. The table of items doesn't respond to my clicking on any of the table headers. In addition, the "look for items on your wantlists" feature appears to have also been broken. Though this list is different than the full Step 3 list, and it has some color coding, the items in the list don't seem to have any direct correspondence to my BGG wantlist (I resynced a bit ago just to be sure). Finally, in the "look for items on your wantlists" table, some items are filled in green which would normally indicate these are listings I've already selected as wanting, except these also do not correspond with my actual wants. My Step 4 list, however, appears to be correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Aldridge
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
Is safari some kind of Mac thing?

It's a browser created by Apple. You'll find it on most iOS and Mac OS devices, but I believe it was also available for Windows up through 2012.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
lonadar wrote:
Sorting the table seems to have been broken. I've tried with Safari, Firefox and Chrome.
Indeed, this here, as advertised, doesn't work anymore:
OLWLG wrote:
Note: you can sort the table by clicking on the column headers (click same header cell again to sort in reverse)

At least not anymore in "Want List Generator: Step 3", but it does still work for the tables in the "General Statistics" page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
Congrats on adding this functionality to the OLWLG, by the way. I've been using the same functionality through Javascript hacks myself, and always wanted to make this officially available to others, but haven't found time for an announcement. Better that it's officially supported.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:

What *might* be worth thinking about is *not* auto-checking altname for altname wants - thereby avoiding cash/cash og GC/GC arbitrage, but - of course - meaning non-cash Outside Scope items would need to be manually selected.

That would be awesome! I'd rather check a handful of bundles manually than ALL cash items! Also, the system would become more usable for new users.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:

To save duplicate protections from being messed up? If that's how it works, yes! I can't think of any other common situations this should matter in. (Though I am not 100% sure I am understanding what this specific issues is about.)

All in all I am very thankful that you keep improving the OLWLG. Thanks for all the resources you are putting in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
I can see a "Set my values" button to submit values for my own items when I click on the
icon, but I don't see such a button when I use Step 3 normally, or when using the magnifying glass, yet these Values checkboxes are still being displayed. I think they should only be shown when using the button as pictured above and otherwise not, right?

For items that others have offered, the value can be set through the "Add" button.

FIXED
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
More errors: In step 3 for the current German MT that I'm in, it always tells me "Which of your games would you trade for 23953?" whenever I click on the "Add" button.

Regardless of which "Add" button I try.

FIXED
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the table sorting via column headers in step 3 is now fixed (to fix it for the "viewmine" view I had to move the Value: input boxes to column 2, don't know why but at least it works, I will look deeper to see if I can move it back to column 1 w/out it breaking sorting which I don't know why it did)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
What *might* be worth thinking about is *not* auto-checking altname for altname wants - thereby avoiding cash/cash og GC/GC arbitrage,

Have you (Jeff) thought about ways to unambiguously mark Cash/GC/GG items? Would it be practical to require that all non-game entries (e.g. "Outside the scope" or "Game accessory") *must* have some kind of flag, like #cash#, #gc#, #gg#, or #item#? You could show a big warning for uncategorized entries. That would open up all kinds of options for displaying and processing those items, to auto-detect arbitrage, search for cash, etc.

And of course, relevant in this case, knowing what to check/not to check automatically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
enoon wrote:
What *might* be worth thinking about is *not* auto-checking altname for altname wants - thereby avoiding cash/cash og GC/GC arbitrage,

Have you (Jeff) thought about ways to unambiguously mark Cash/GC/GG items? Would it be practical to require that all non-game entries (e.g. "Outside the scope" or "Game accessory") *must* have some kind of flag, like #cash#, #gc#, #gg#, or #item#? You could show a big warning for uncategorized entries. That would open up all kinds of options for displaying and processing those items, to auto-detect arbitrage, search for cash, etc.

And of course, relevant in this case, knowing what to check/not to check automatically.

Anothor suggestion: all cash items have be Miscellaneous Game Accessory, all game bundles, video games etc. have to be listed as something different (e.g. Outside the Scope of BGG).
Then you could eliminate all cash/cash trades while keeping all cash/Outside the Scope of BGG and Outside the Scope of BGG/cash trades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
I'd say no to both proposals. If anything, then there should be a new misc item added to BGG, "cash offers", or something. After they now formally acknowledge cash offers in Math trades, they should allow for a little functionality through their database, too.

I have a javascript which parses MT cash offers for me, that I could share.

It is semi-automated, it goes through an OLWLG page, if it successfully parsed something it will make a suggestion that I have to confirm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A skinned math nerd wrote:
If anything, then there should be a new misc item added to BGG, "cash offers", or something.

That would be awesome, but relying on BGG changes could mean waiting years.

Quote:
I have a javascript which parses MT cash offers for me, that I could share.

It is semi-automated, it goes through an OLWLG page, if it successfully parsed something it will make a suggestion that I have to confirm.

We already have semi-automated parsing. I was hoping for something better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
I think hoping that you can force every user in every math trade to assign some metadata to money offers is quite unrealistic. I wouldn't wait for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
it's been a long time "wish/to-do" for me to have all items be "structured/formatted", such as

%offer%
thingid: 1
version: 47898
condition: new
condition-details: still in shrink
inventoried: yes
ships-to: usa
note: ....
%end%

and for geekgold:

%offer-gg%
amount: 123
%end%

and for gift certs maybe something like:

%offer-gc%
amount: 60
currency: usd
note: .....
%end%

and now that cash is allowed globally maybe:

%offer-cash%
amount: 60
currency: usd
note: ....
%end%

the "addmygames" script would actually do the formatting based on web form data (which is partly pre-filled from your collection data).

however my current thought on this is to skip this step (defining the sync, creating it, parsing it, etc) and still have the addmygames "forms" but only for offerings that go right into the OLWLG and skipping the geeklist. Eventually also having the option for an organizer to require users to use the OLWLG to add offers (ie. no geeklist). (edit: as skinned nerd ninja'ed me... it's hard to enforce users to confirm to a given syntax when they can still add offers free-hand via the geeklist)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
(edit: as skinned nerd ninja'ed me... it's hard to enforce users to confirm to a given syntax when they can still add offers free-hand via the geeklist)

If the coding is simple (unlike the confusing altname syntax which I have to look up every time) and a clear visual indicator is shown both to the item owner and everyone else when the tag is missing, it seems feasible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Pachner
Germany
Aßlar
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the arbitrage check I would like to have a way to upload my trade results and use OLWLG's arbitrage check without the results being public and everyone being notified the second I upload them.

I.e. upload results, check for arbitrage, (if necessary: kill arbitrage wants, run again, upload again, check again, repeat until satisfied), then mark results as public and have everyone notified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cuazzel wrote:
Regarding the arbitrage check I would like to have a way to upload my trade results and use OLWLG's arbitrage check without the results being public and everyone being notified the second I upload them.

I.e. upload results, check for arbitrage, (if necessary: kill arbitrage wants, run again, upload again, check again, repeat until satisfied), then mark results as public and have everyone notified.

upload as "pending" results

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Pachner
Germany
Aßlar
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:

I do but it still notifies everyone right away, doesn't it? Then people rush in, open the results and start discussing them while I may be generating new ones already and 5 minutes later you have people with different versions of the results open at the same time (because the early ones didn't refresh their browser tabs etc.). Those are messy 10 minutes almost every time :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cuazzel wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:
I do but it still notifies everyone right away, doesn't it? Then people rush in, open the results and start discussing them while I may be generating new ones already and 5 minutes later you have people with different versions of the results open at the same time (because the early ones didn't refresh their browser tabs etc.). Those are messy 10 minutes almost every time

maybe not exactly what you want but I guess added another checkbox when uploading "results"... check the box and in theory (I haven't tested) users will not be notified of this upload
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.