BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: How are the game stores in your area? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: flgs [+] [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
QTBigbankHank wrote:
Just an FYI. Game chest has been closed for like a year, unless they relocated.

I double checked and you're right. Ah well, I was not a regular anyway...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like many above, I frankly have a hard time even finding a good FLGS...and in Westchester, NY! This is classic suburbia, tons of people, tons of money, and if there is a good FLGS around they have scoured their existence from google (and from the BGG list).

The best selection I have is the Compleat Strategist near my office. But I have to say, the clerks abandon the F entirely. And who is going to pay the premium that comes with paying rent in Manhattan when you can save $15+ buying online? Charging MSRP is not a valid business model.

If I had a good FLGS I would pay an extra $5/box to support it. But the Dragon's Dens all closed in my area, and no one picked up the torch. A Manhattan brick and mortar that lacks the atmosphere and generally charges MSRP (rarely lower, and just as frequently higher) is simply not going to get my business.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Otherworldly Gamer
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here in St. Louis we are lucky to have three places for games. Two are great for buying and playing games and the third for just buying games.

Miniature Market - best prices, great staff, no gaming area.

Fantasy Shop - great game selection, great staff, lots of gaming tables

Game Nite - great ownership, excellent selection, decent-sized playing area

All three places are very supportive of the local gaming community.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bonet
United States
Larchmont
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skadar wrote:
What game stores?

I'm in Stamford, CT wedged right between Greenwich and Westport... two places where money literally *does* grow on trees. And there's not a game store in sight.

Come down to Mamaroneck in Westchester (exit 18A on 95). On Westchester Ave. is a store that opened recently called Modern Myths, an excellent game store. Board game nights on Saturday night, Magic nights on Monday (if you like Magic)... clean, lots of space, friendly people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Freshmaker
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
Doo doo doo doooo, doo doooo, doooo waaah... It doesn't matter what comes, fresh goes better in life, with Mentos fresh and full of life. Nothing gets to you, staying fresh, staying cool, with Mentos fresh and full of life!
badge
Fresh goes better, Mentos freshness, fresh goes better with Mentos fresh and full of life! Mentos, the Freshmaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
My FLGS is Tabletop in Overland Park Kansas. The store is very well lit with clean white walls covered with games rather than comic book posters. The store in in a place that use to be a Jazzercise studio. The result is the floor is a nice wooden cushioned floor. Cushioned meaning the floor has just a touch of bounce to it when you walk across it, especially in certain spots. The only really oddball thing on the walls is a sign next to the door into the gaming room. It's from a local state prison and list the maximum inmate population for the prison cell. I so much want that sign for my game room.

Overall the store is as clean and nice as any nice store you would hope for. No bad smells or weird comic book posters.

+1 for Tabletop.

I never knew that about the former use of that space (or noticed the floor bounciness, for that matter!) Interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielguy wrote:
Are they clean, well lit, friendly, and well stocked?

Clean - Ish...Not perfect but it's fine by me.
Well lit - Yes.
Friendly - Of course, =)
Well Stocked - About as well as they can be for the size they are.

It's a bit run-down inside, but I can appreciate that renovating would be expensive and tbh, it adds to the friendly feel

(Wayland's Forge, Birmingham, UK).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When this thread first appeared, I wrote about living in the Toronto suburbs and having a handful of mediocre (and one good) game store. Since then, I've moved to the Northwest Territories and live in an isolated wilderness town. No game stores to speak of now. I get my games online ... and online only.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
21st Century Comics went out here, but as a game store Clem's had already surpassed it. There's a newer game store that is the place for miniatures gaming but are rather lacking in other options outside of the staples like Magic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Weiss
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate all of you!!!

Ok, not really, but I'm jealous.

I have one game store located approximately 3 hours away to the West. It's small, and most of the store space is taken up by comics. It supports tournies and such in a few of the more popular games, but has limited space. Carries a wide variety of gaming material. Cards, minis, RPGs, and all the basics you need to play. Nice run store, helpful staff, but somewhat dark, gloomy, and crowded. It has a few boardgames in stock. A dozen or so relatively popular titles, but that's about it.

That's it for my entire state when it comes to boardgames. There's a comic book/CCG/warhammer/D&D store 3.5 hours east. Theres a sports card, ccg, comic, mini's (heroclix kind of stuff) store 3.5 hours to the East. And there's a comic/ccg/rpg store 3.5 hours to the NE, but none of those three having anything more than a themed Monopoly game or a copy of munchkin last time I checked.

If I head 3.5 hours North and cross a state line I bet I could find something decent, but I never head that way.

I live in some kind of weird boardgaming deadzone.

Basically, be glad for what you have, and make sure to throw them a dollar or two every now and again, otherwise your area may also turn into a gaming desert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chad winters
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My closest store is Comic Store West and as the name says its more comics than games. But it is still by far the best option within many miles. Fist they are well lit and clean,with no smell like the nearest two other stores. The staff has been amazing so far because Im rather new to gaming and they have helped me make great selections so far and will order any game I ask for ASAP. Other stores have been a little hesitant to order unpopular games in case the person doesn't come back to pick it up and they are stuck with a shelf filler forever. The selection was ok my first few visits but that must have been a down time because it has been ten times better recently. Ive yet to stay and play any games there but the gaming area seems clean with a few tables and only a few games on hand to try. But the few downfalls I have mentioned are from them being a comic store first and Im still more than happy with them.
The other two store I have tried are both dark and smell horrible. With one having ok employees, and the other having a few employees with no idea what they are doing and are no help at all. But they do have a woman whom Ive only dealt with over the phone who has been helpful and their gaming selection is amazing. The other being in the middle as far as selection goes.
The main point of my whole ramble is that I would rather order games and wait longer to get them from Comic Store West and give them my business over the others who have a better selection because I like the employees much more as well as the overall appearance of the store and a much better overall atmosphere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Cote
United States
Bellows falls
VT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in Vermont, and up the road a bit is Triple Play. http://www.tripleplaynh.com/

It is a fantastic store, well maintained, with a wide variety of games and general geekness. Every Wednesday is board game night, and turn out is generally between 12 and 20.
In a one hour radius, there is also Greenfield games http://www.greenfieldgames.com/ which is also clean and friendly. There are several others, all of which are fairly well stocked and clean, but these two support the games they sell pretty well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Rivet
United States
Pine City
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Well "la de" freck'n Da!
badge
The "Dennis System".
mbmbmbmbmb

Mine is the Gamers Den in Cambridge MN, the store is a great space, with a nice owner and staff also good selection of CCg's, Mini's, boardgames ect, check them out if your in the area!.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JS
Germany
North Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Junkfoot wrote:
Game Store? You mean those things that sell Monopoly and Settlers, right? But seriously... There is, as far as I know only ONE store in the whole Munich area that has at least a couple of decent games and it is dingy and not very inviting. Shops in the US have playing areas? Get the f*** out of here. I've never seen something like that in Germany, even though it might exist. Not in Munich however (which takes me an hour to get to anyway what with living in the backwoods and stuff....) ... Munich is like a boardgaming third world country.

Visit the Fantasy-In in Hannover, North-Germany: Boardgames, Wargames, TableTops, Miniatures en masse, Books, Roleplaying Games, CCG, LCG, Dice, and a playing area in the basement.
http://www.fantasy-in.de/

The staff is ok but not overwhelming geeky and friendly. Prices are for offline customers sometimes higher than for online buyers, so I do not visit the store very often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaila M.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I live in a small town in Ohio and they are sadly nonexistent for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General Gaming to Discussing Retailers.

I've got two game shops and a Games Workshop.

There's also a bookshop (Waterstones) that stocks say 5 big gamer games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
raile wrote:
mrbeankc wrote:
My FLGS is Tabletop in Overland Park Kansas. The store is very well lit with clean white walls covered with games rather than comic book posters. The store in in a place that use to be a Jazzercise studio. The result is the floor is a nice wooden cushioned floor. Cushioned meaning the floor has just a touch of bounce to it when you walk across it, especially in certain spots. The only really oddball thing on the walls is a sign next to the door into the gaming room. It's from a local state prison and list the maximum inmate population for the prison cell. I so much want that sign for my game room.

Overall the store is as clean and nice as any nice store you would hope for. No bad smells or weird comic book posters.

+1 for Tabletop.

I never knew that about the former use of that space (or noticed the floor bounciness, for that matter!) Interesting.

I am also a fan of Tabletop! Was just there Sunday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  |