Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: flgs [+] [View All]
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gonna be spending time in the islands.
Can anyone help me find a good gaming store in Honolulu?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Not that I know of. But I would be willing to sacrifice my time if you would like to send me ahead to scout some out for you. And my time is limited so I would be doing you a huge favor!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I don't remember any game stores, but make sure you get some banana pancakes with coconut syrup at the Koa House in Kaneohe. You'll forget all about games...surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude, you're in Hawaii... PUT DOWN THE GAMES!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Vinson
United States
West Point
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aloha!

The Honolulu FLGS is 'The Armchair Adventurer' 1199 Dillingham Blvd #C106. This is in the City Square strip mall in the Kalihi section of Honolulu. http://www.freewebs.com/armchairadventurer/
Small shop with a nice selection, including some hard to find titles.
[15-20 min drive from Waikiki. Closed on Mondays.]

Three other stores are primarily book / comic shops but also carry some board games:

'Other Realms' in Ward Center. http://other-realms.biz/
[10 mins from Waikiki. Easy Bus ride. Could walk it with some motivation.]

'Gecko Books', 3613 Waialae Ave. in the Kaimuki section of Honolulu. [10-15 mins from Waikiki.]

'Jelly's Original' in Aiea. This is in a warehouse in the vicinity of the Pearlridge Shopping Center. A bit of a drive out from Waikiki. Probably the best game selection next to Armchair Adventurer.
http://local.yahoo.com/details?id=21839391
[~40 min each way with light traffic, >90 min during rush hour.
BTW: don't plan on going anywhere during rush hour. Much better to be relaxing on the beach with a cold drink. Trust me. Really. You'll see...]

Enjoy the visit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nello Cozzolino
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Brascogames London U.K. www.brascogames.webs.com
mbmbmbmbmb
swandive78 wrote:
Gonna be spending time in the islands.
Can anyone help me find a good gaming store in Honolulu?
--------------
buy this board game : Konane (hawai. checkers)..quite rare
no idea where ..i never been there..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Ted. Gotta entertain three kids and four adults during my sojourn. As for the others, don't worry, I'll be spending plenty of time soaking up all the native fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
icarus li

Hawaii
msg tools
I went to The Armchair Adventurer today. I spent three hours to found the localion of the store however their address was not 1199 Dillingham Bivd. The way which google map showed was wrong too. Anyways, I WILL NOT GET IN TO THIS STORE ANYMORE. The CASHIER WAS TOO IMPOLITE. Anyway I bought some games from this store before I leave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the Armchair Adventurer has moved:

1287 Kalani St Ste 105
Honolulu, HI 96817
(808) 843-1250

The owner is named Glen and he is a nice guy. It is a funky place, with games and miniatures stacked to the ceiling, but can be fun to hunt around for the rare treasure.

Gecko Books has also moved (around the corner from their old location):

1151 12th Ave
Honolulu, HI 96816
(808) 732-1292
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McKenzie
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am looking for gamers for Struggle for Europe and Asia (SEA). Also interested in other things.

email me:

mckenzie_sean@hotmail.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Coleman
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got to Waikiki last night. I'll be scoping out some board games here soon! I wonder of the sea breeze changes the smell of new unwrapped cardboard!!!

Aloha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heading there in 10 days, save some mai tais for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher KrackerJack
United States
Portsmouth
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
I'll be there Monday for a week. Sadly, for work, not pleasure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milo El Dorado
United States
Portland
wannabeinhawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try some of the thrift stores. When I was stationed in Oahu, I founds many wargames in the thrift stores. There are marines, Surface and Submarine Navy, Army and Air Force stationed there. I would definitely check out the thrift stores around the island.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Coleman
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shavala wrote:
Try some of the thrift stores. When I was stationed in Oahu, I founds many wargames in the thrift stores. There are marines, Surface and Submarine Navy, Army and Air Force stationed there. I would definitely check out the thrift stores around the island.

That's a good idea. I was never much for thrift stores mainland, just because I would always find the same Milton Bradley games. Coupled with I never really made it a habit to check them out often.

Steve,
I'm 2 days in and I've already made a run on their Mai Tai stock! I gotta switch it up. You'll love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
V. Lazaro Zamora
United States
Torrance
CA
flag msg tools
“Poverty is the parent of revolution and crime.” -Aristotle
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't suppose there are any game cafes on Oahu??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Waz
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best is Other Realms, hands down. I have been to many Geek stores all over the world and Other Realms is BY FAR the BEST. Clean, organized, well lit, well stocked, very frieldly (and not in a creepy or aloof way). It is a 10 plus rateing from me and my family. It has a room to paint figures, a room to play games on site, or just sit and read your comic purchases or figure out your game too. The staff is knowledgeable, they hold different events for the community, that are fun and are willing to help you with a game and its dynamics, in a genuine manor. Its clear they work to bring people to the community not perpetuate the steriotypes of hard core gamers. I honestly haven't, looked for another place here on the island, no need to this one is tops. thumbsupthumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Hawthorne
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
Whatever happened to The Legionnaire?

Thumb up
 tip