Subject: Murne Rin - Lead from the Front rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephan Wimmer
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The card references ready activation tokens.

http://cards.boardwars.eu/index.php?album=Expansion-Boxes/Th...

The question we had during the last podcast was ... when do heroes flip over their activation tokens? We tried to look it up in the L2P and RR Guides, but only got conflicting information

Did we miss something? Is there a passage where this is explained definitively?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes there is something definitive:
RRG - Activation wrote:
• After resolving an activation, exhaust the figure’s activation
token (for heroes) or Deployment card (for all other figures).

If there is something that conflicts with this, please point it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Clipper answered this already elsewhere.

RRG, Activation wrote:
* After resolving an activation, exhaust the figure's activation token (for heroes) or Deployment card (for all other figures).

So, after. And RRG overrides LtP automatically if there are conflicts.
LtP wrote:
When a hero is activated, he flips his activation token red
side faceup to mark that he has resolved his activation.

The latter sentence indicates to me that the activation token is flipped at the end of the activation (has resolved). So, I don't see them contradictory, just poor choice of words for "When a hero is activated".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Wimmer
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
RRG p.12 "Exhaust:

Quote:
When a player activates a figure, he exhausts its corresponding
Deployment card or activation token to mark that the figures
in that group have been used during this round.

This is written as if this happens at the start of an activation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jacenat wrote:
RRG p.12 "Exhaust:

Quote:
When a player activates a figure, he exhausts its corresponding
Deployment card or activation token to mark that the figures
in that group have been used during this round.

Note that it also uses 'has been used', which implies it's afterwards. The comment about happening when the figure is activated doesn't exclusively stick it to the start of said activation either, it could effectively be any time during the activation. It does provide a minor implication of the start, though.

In any case, the other rule is definitive and not simply implication. It happens after activation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Wimmer
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I know, and if the L2P Guide wouldn't have it explicitly on p.7 with
Quote:
When a hero is activated, he flips his activation token red side faceup to mark that he has resolved his activation.

this would be a lot clearer. I did fire off an email off to paul anyway yesterday. Let's see if he replies expectedly.
The fact that both times the part of the sentence with the activation token references either before or during the activation itself is a bit confusing.

Might be a remnant from mechanics earlier in the developlment where timings were different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeppe Nybo
Netherlands
Haarlem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm not a native speaker, but it struck me that that sentence seems to chance tense between the separate clauses, which is probably adding to the confusion.

I've always been used to Rebel players flipping their activation token as the very last thing, to signal that they're done, but never thought of the sequence or the importance of when it happens (except that we used it as a routine to keep the momentum of the game). That's the beauty of new expansions adding new abilities to the game, such as Murne's here, that we suddenly have to go back and reasses the most basic thing in the game, that we've all be doing for a year and half.

I hope, for Murne's ability to not be watered down too much, that it's meant to be at the end of the activation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry. The timing of flipping of the token was discussed with the designers early on. It's definitely afterwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.