badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Math Trade Want List Generator - T1.0
Timotheous wrote:
this (in partcular the add button) seems not to work for us Mac OS X users
I tried: Camino 1.1a1, Safari 2.0.4 and Firefox 2.0.0.2

Any luck now for Mac users?

Also a note... someone had expressed concern about giving their BGG password, even though the tool does not store or log it, but obviously there is no way for me to prove that. For anyone else in a similiar situation, what I suggest for now is to change your BGG password (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/profile.php?action=changepasswo...) to something else, use that temp password to authenticate yourself to my tool, then you can change your password back. As long as the cookie set the by tool persists there should be no need to have to relogin to the tool.

If I can figure out how to mechanically send geekmails (given the geekmail system rewrite) the plan was to have the tool send geekmails to everyone with at least one game in the math trade that would have a link that would log you into the tool without ever needing to provide your BGG password. I really didn't want to have to do it manually as that would mean I'd have to compose over 100 (or over 200 in some math trades) individual geekmails... thus making it more work when the whole idea of the tool was to make it less work...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dyfrgi wrote:
It'd be nice if the lots I have were checked by default. This is especially true since I have only one lot in this trade. Having to check it off every time I add a lot was slightly annoying.

This was actually deliberate for the day I plan to allow it to be used as not only a way to generate want lists, but to submit them officially. As such, the idea is to make any want added to require a confirmation of sorts, and that's to actually have to check a checkbox.

Also keep in mind that folks can add an item without checking any of their lots (own games they are willing to trade for it), ie. simply want to express an interest in it without commiting to putting it on any of their want lists. They can then either come back and select their own lots to offer for it, either in this same step, or in the next step where their own lots and the lots they are interested in are setup in a matrix (table) layout.

I will though consider allowing it as a per user option (possibly after they having to agree to a disclaimer that they are extra responsible for verifying their final lists).

dyfrgi wrote:
The edit page is slightly confusing. I didn't realize those options for how to display the list were clickable, at first. You might make them into links or buttons so that it's more clear.

You mean the "tabs":
"Table (edit format)" | "Summary" | "Traditional Lists" | "GeekList Item Id Lists" | "Official Format"

If so, I agree... it was just a quick hack (I originally had the page broken into different headered sections but that was too cluttered).

dyfrgi wrote:
Seriously, look into portable UI frameworks. Writing that stuff yourself isn't worth it unless you enjoy writing Javascript GUI frameworks. I do know a few people who enjoy that - I think they're nuts. They also do things like writing video games in Javascript and SVG, so I have some considerable evidence for their insanity. Sorry I can't offer more specific suggestions on which frameworks are worth trying - I haven't much Javascript programming in years.

Any suggestions for a javascript "potable" user interface framework?

I actually do enjoy it though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
dyfrgi wrote:
It'd be nice if the lots I have were checked by default. This is especially true since I have only one lot in this trade. Having to check it off every time I add a lot was slightly annoying.

This was actually deliberate for the day I plan to allow it to be used as not only a way to generate want lists, but to submit them officially. As such, the idea is to make any want added to require a confirmation of sorts, and that's to actually have to check a checkbox.

Also keep in mind that folks can add an item without checking any of their lots (own games they are willing to trade for it), ie. simply want to express an interest in it without commiting to putting it on any of their want lists. They can then either come back and select their own lots to offer for it, either in this same step, or in the next step where their own lots and the lots they are interested in are setup in a matrix (table) layout.

I will though consider allowing it as a per user option (possibly after they having to agree to a disclaimer that they are extra responsible for verifying their final lists).

Those are good points. I think that I, personally, would be happy with a "confirm this entire wishlist" step at the end, but I can definitely see the advantage of making users consider each want more as they enter them. However, I think it might also lead to people tuning out the checkbox step. It's a repetitive process - avoiding mistakes in such situations is tough.

Being able to see the descriptions in the final summary would be pretty awesome. I'd love to use that to doublecheck whether I entered something with the wrong shipping restrictions.

JeffyJeff wrote:

You mean the "tabs":

Yup.

JeffyJeff wrote:

dyfrgi wrote:
Seriously, look into portable UI frameworks. Writing that stuff yourself isn't worth it unless you enjoy writing Javascript GUI frameworks. I do know a few people who enjoy that - I think they're nuts. They also do things like writing video games in Javascript and SVG, so I have some considerable evidence for their insanity. Sorry I can't offer more specific suggestions on which frameworks are worth trying - I haven't much Javascript programming in years.

Any suggestions for a javascript "potable" user interface framework?

I actually do enjoy it though

I'll ask around and get back to you on this one.

Also, I've got a solution to your geekmail sending problem: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1429833

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich S
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick bug note. When I clicked the link to see item 300 in the list it took me to item 301 instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phosrik wrote:
Quick bug note. When I clicked the link to see item 300 in the list it took me to item 301 instead.

I ran across that too... it's actually not a bug with the tool, but a boardgamegeek bug

"Capitol" is geeklist item id 404366. If you click on the item "number" on the geeklist (currently 300) you'll see the same problem because both take you to url:

boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/20623/item/404366#item404366 (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/20623/item/404366#item...)

It's probably a boundry bug as 300 is a multiple of 25, the number of items per page. So instead of bringing you to geeklist page 12, it brings you to 13

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thanks to Michael for sniffing out the form fields for the BGG internal Ajax interface for sending a geekmail....

The tool now no longer asks for your BoardGameGeek password in order to authenticate you. You now only provide your BoardGameGeek username and the tool will send you a geekmail with a custom link that logs you into the tool.

Another new feature... step 4, the matrix want list editor, you can now see the geeklist item body description for either the wants you selected or your own items (you simply click on the item numbers in the 1st column or the table cells for your items.

Another new feature... if you have any items that have the game id for "Outside the Scope of BGG", you can in the main body of your item description, put a line such as:

+altname+ your short name here -altname-

Ten your short name will be used in the various places in this tool that it would normally say "Outside the Scope of BGG"

Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Roney
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:

Another new feature... if you have any items that have the game id for "Outside the Scope of BGG", you can in the main body of your item description, put a line such as:

Ten your short name will be used in the various places in this tool that it would normally say "Outside the Scope of BGG"

Does this work for other ids as well? (like Miscellaneous Game Book, or if you had a version of the game that was not the same name as the main entry)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sroney wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:

Does this work for other ids as well? (like Miscellaneous Game Book, or if you had a version of the game that was not the same name as the main entry)

It's currently hardcoded only to look at for "Outside the Scope of BGG" as I wanted to limit it's use for now as I may change the way meta data like this is specified in the future (it's too hacky looking now and I don't think will scale when specifying multiple pieces of meta data). I want to also possibly add a stanard way to specify shipping restrictions as well that could be extracted could be used to make sure no one ends up with wants on their list that would end up violating any shipping restrictions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bug fix in the new login procedure...

If you used it the 1st time the geekmail it send you had a non-working link... ie. of the form that ended with "?c=" and nothing after that.

I believe I've fixed that, but if you used it before and received the link that did nothing useful, simply perform step 1 again.

Sorry about that.

Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dany Simard
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jeff

What's mean the color in the first column, blue and yellow?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adamdynris wrote:
What's mean the color in the first column, blue and yellow?

A new feature I just added:

blue - a game you already own
yellow - a game you have on your wishlist (but don't own or marked "want in trade")
green - a game you have marked as "want in trade"
white - you don't have marked owned, wishlist, or want in trade (or I haven't fetched your data)

Similiar for sweeteners, except white is replaced by pink.

Only thing is that it's not a fully integrated feature yet... I manually fetched the collection data for everyone who was in the math trade as of earlier this evening. It's a relatively expensive thing to fetch as the BGG XML API only lets me obtain the collection data for one user at a time... over 100 for this math trade. By comparision I can get 150 items of geeklist data per request, and around 500 game stats per request.

I may set it up so that it fetches your collection data only when you request it to, and keeps it cached until you say to reload it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, neat. I'm glad you added that wishlist/want in trade feature. I've been working on a utility of my own to do that, on demand. Actually, I was planning to have it fetch the math trade and filter out only the things I have in my wishlist or wantlist since I've never decided to add something that wasn't already on it without regretting it later.

Anyway, cool feature. Having it fetch collection data when you request it to sounds like a good idea. I'd suggest listing at the top of the page when it was last updated so that users can easily tell if it might be out of date.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dany Simard
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jeff for this tool, I used it for the first time with the last math trade "It burns"

It's a great tool!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Roney
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
Timotheous wrote:

Seemed to work for me fine in the "It Burns" trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duffy
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mr Worf.....Fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff, just used this for the It Burns trade, worked perfectly. Excellent tool. GG tip coming your way!

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you add a game to your list, but aren't yet offering any of your own items in the trade, then you can't remove it. At least, I can't find a way, either on the main list or the Edit Your Wants page.

Also, the "edit your list" link seems to have vanished for me. The div has style="display:none" set on it. It looks like the Javascript is set not to display it until you change something. What if you want to edit your wants but haven't changed anything yet during that session?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dyfrgi wrote:
If you add a game to your list, but aren't yet offering any of your own items in the trade, then you can't remove it. At least, I can't find a way, either on the main list or the Edit Your Wants page.

Yea, that's on the "to do" list Other than clutter though, items you've "added" but don't have any of your games checked, just sit at the bottom of the table.
dyfrgi wrote:
Also, the "edit your list" link seems to have vanished for me. The div has style="display:none" set on it. It looks like the Javascript is set not to display it until you change something. What if you want to edit your wants but haven't changed anything yet during that session?

It's because, like me, you may have "added" games for consideration, but you haven't any games in the math trade yet It defaults to visible if you have games in the math trade, and also turns visible when you "add", but on reload it goes back to default.

... ok, I just changed it so that it's displayed by default if you have any games in the math trade -or- you have "added" any games for consideration. Though with no games in the math trade, all you get is a summary of the games you've added, and like you said, no way to "unconsider" any of them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like sorting is broken. It appears to get the first unique value or two correct and then fail. For instance, in the current trade, it lists the Puerto Ricos first, then the Die Machers, then on to.. Domination? followed by a bunch of other unranked games. Then it moves on to listing things in GL # order.

FireBug shows an error while it's sorting, too. On line 296:
cells has no properties
setrow(tr#tr412683, undefined)
resort([153, 114, 92, 246 more...], true)
for( var i = 0 ; i < cells.length ; i++ )

EDIT: And now it's mysteriously working. Color me confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dyfrgi wrote:
EDIT: And now it's mysteriously working. Color me confused.

I started seeing something last night myself, and was still seeing it this afternoon, but now like for you, it's working properly.

Given I made no changes to the tool itself since Thursday (just so "edit your wants" would be displayed if you had wants even if you didn't have any items in the geeklist yet yourself, one line change), it must be something in the data, and something I'm going to have to keep my eye on

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I see it again, I'll be sure to grab a snapshot of the generated HTML. Maybe it'll be possible to tell why it's failing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Dennis
United States
Covington
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me play Devil's Advocate here, but before I start let me say that I'm not accusing anyone of trying to play the system, and I'm not sure if what I propose would be possible with Jeff's tool, just raising a 'what if' concern.

Devil's Advocate wrote:

Since the tool stores the wants of anyone who uses it, wouldn't it be possible for the tool owner (again, not pointing out Jeff in particular, just a general observation) to hold off submitting his own lists until a bunch of lists have been entered into the tool and use that info to his advantage in getting the game he wanted? The more popular the tool got, the more want lists would be created with it, and it would be easier for a less than honest man to slant the field in his direction. I only bring this up because there was at least one case of a trade moderator using the want lists that had come in to influence the trade in his favor. Since then it has become common practice for the moderator to publicly submit his want list first, but there is no such check for a want list tool generator author.

I myself am not too concerned about this and I have used Jeff's tool in the last couple of math trades, but some others may be and I just wanted to bring up the point.

In essence, at this point I think Jeff's tool solves more problems than it creates, and I commend his work.

Steven

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Steven,

If it helps I could always post my want lists publically, though I haven't locked mine in for the current math trade yet... in fact I just updated my wants this afternoon after purchasing "Scepter of Zavandor" from the CardHaus.com clearance sale.

While no one has to take my word for it, I don't have anything in place to analyze other folks wants. I could have also done something with the data from my older "want list verifier" that was used in a dozen prior math trades but I think the trades (in some cases lack of trades) I ended up with in those are clear that even if I did try to use the data, it didn't work....

... in fact as the math trade resolvers are able to do an even better job at maximizing the trades found (hurray for Genetitrade!), as well as the almost standard adoption of "play at home", I think it would be even harder for someone to play the system that it would be more of an excercise in futility, and a use of time that I would rather do something more useful with....

.... speaking of which, what I'd like to add actually kind of fits into using similiar data... data which is actually publically available to anyone... I'd like to provide (and available to everyone) a table/list of the "most wanted" games in the math trade, not based on what items folks are putting on their math trade want list, but using the data from the individuals "collection" data listing what they have marked as "want in trade"...

... it may turn out to be a very inaccurate prediction though, as I'm not sure what percentage of folks who frequent math trades actually use or keep their "want in trade" lists up to date, and how many folks are like me, and put plenty of games on our math trade want lists that we don't even have marked as "want in trade".

Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, I'm not sure if I stated it in this thread, but have in other threads, that what I'm hoping to do in the near future is to run another math trade myself where the official way for everyone to submit their want lists is by using this tool (not via geekmail).

I'm thinking about having an additional final step where the users would confirm what they are submitting, and the tool would geekmail you a human readable summary of your wants when you do confirm (you would of course still be able to make more edits and then confirm those edits, up until the deadline).

For those curious, it appears that 44 users (including myself) are using the tool as of this writing for the current math trade. That's out of 135 who are in the math trade, so only 33%.

Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Piette
Canada
Beloeil
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an amazing tool! I just love it, I'm giving you my spare change, .91 GG almost a whole GG for your tool, it's not much, but I'm giving it gladly.

Keep up the good work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Pariseau
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
Timotheous wrote:

Yep, seems to be working for my G5 running OS 10.4 & Safari.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [75] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.