Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Want List Generator; IE7 with "pro" add-on problem
If you are using IE7 (Internet Explorer version 7) and on the viewlist page the "add" buttons do not display... check to see if you have the "pro" add-on installed/enabled. If you do, disable it and that should hopefully resolve the problem.

Thanks to Jason for not only reporting the problem, but also narrowing it down to come up with the workaround!

Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Math Trade Want List Generator - T1.0
JeffyJeff wrote:
If you are using IE7 (Internet Explorer version 7) and on the viewlist page the "add" buttons do not display... check to see if you have the "pro" add-on installed/enabled. If you do, disable it and that should hopefully resolve the problem.

Thanks to Jason for not only reporting the problem, but also narrowing it down to come up with the workaround!

Jeff

And how would we know if we had this? And if so, how would we disable it?
I find I'd like to participate, but have no way to list my games, since the only add buttons that show are for games already added by others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those add buttons are for the list you'll submit indicating what you want in the math trade, not for adding games you want to offer in the math trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dyfrgi wrote:
Those add buttons are for the list you'll submit indicating what you want in the math trade, not for adding games you want to offer in the math trade.

Which then begs the question, how DO I add a game to the trade list? I read the "explanatory" and it doesn't really tell how to add a new game that I can tell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:
dyfrgi wrote:

Which then begs the question, how DO I add a game to the trade list? I read the "explanatory" and it doesn't really tell how to add a new game that I can tell.

The same way you do for any other math trade - just add it to the Geeklist (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/21239) with the "Add Item" link at the top. It'll show up on the Math Trade Gateway page automatically within a couple hours. It's only the wantlists which are submitted using JeffyJeff's tool, not the items themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As Michael said, and sorry for the confusion. I've also added the text to the top of the viewlist page that now says, below the Geetklist: link:

(if you want to put games into the math trade do so the normal way via the real geeklist interface [click on the link above)

So hopefully it will maek it easier for the next person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
costa
Portugal
Vieira de Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
YINZI
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

How can one re-order the wantlist in this tool?
And what is the correct format to send the wantlists?

Bye,
Luis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fs1973 wrote:
How can one re-order the wantlist in this tool?
And what is the correct format to send the wantlists?

Hi, since we are using Genetitrade, the order of the want lists does not matter (Michael [dyfrgi] has confirmed this). So the tool orders them by the item you want the most to the least, breaking ties based on the bgg rating.

Folks will not be "sending" wantlists in to the current math trade in the conventional way. Ie. no cut/pasting. Instead, and while I haven't coded it yet, you'll simply be asked to confirm the wants you have inputed into the tool are what you want to be officially used.

Then after the deadline, the tool will generate the file that everyone "playing at home" will use as input to Genetitrade to crunch on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
costa
Portugal
Vieira de Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
YINZI
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
since we are using Genetitrade, the order of the want lists does not matter (Michael [dyfrgi] has confirmed this). So the tool orders them by the item you want the most to the least, breaking ties based on the bgg rating.

Sorry but i don't understand. I've submited/add the games to the editor but not by the order i wanted. How can i re-arrange it? How does it know my prefered game?

Bye,
Luis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fs1973 wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:
since we are using Genetitrade, the order of the want lists does not matter (Michael [dyfrgi] has confirmed this). So the tool orders them by the item you want the most to the least, breaking ties based on the bgg rating.

Sorry but i don't understand. I've submited/add the games to the editor but not by the order i wanted. How can i re-arrange it? How does it know my prefered game?

The trade resolver is Genetitrade... Genetitrade does not has have the concept of "prefered" wants, ie. the order does not matter, it is not taken into account.

For more info on Genetitrade please see http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/157035

In any math trade, make sure you never list a game as "wanted" by you for one of your games, if you would not be satisfied if that's what you end up with.

Should also note that TradeGenie (which we won't be using), when run with the -R option, which in most cases was critical to finding the most trades possible, that the order of the items on your want list(s) had minimal effect because of the nature of "random" (which is what -R stands for, and the only way Gentitrade works).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
First, this tool rocks!

I tried it out for the 5 day math trade but when I went back to add more wants after more games had been added to the list the games do not show up past what was there when I first logged into the tool.

Is there a way to refresh the list or is there a delay?

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MK-Ultra71 wrote:
First, this tool rocks!

I tried it out for the 5 day math trade but when I went back to add more wants after more games had been added to the list the games do not show up past what was there when I first logged into the tool.

Is there a way to refresh the list or is there a delay?

For this math trade I've got it to set refresh the data from BGG every 1/2 hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nancy Castillo
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you help me i have some questions....

1)Example:
I want the game Tempus so i checked and it is in my want list, i want to trade for any one of these 2 games: Dakara, Hunting party. In the row i have to check the two of my games?, I mean this will no be 2 for 1, insted only one for one.ok?

2)Example:
Can i check one of my games in all of my want list, so the program will know that i have only one copy for trade?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Perry
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Ex-Term-In-Ate
mbmbmbmbmb
Jsalais wrote:
Can you help me i have some questions....

1)Example:
I want the game Tempus so i checked and it is in my want list, i want to trade for any one of these 2 games: Dakara, Hunting party. In the row i have to check the two of my games?, I mean this will no be 2 for 1, insted only one for one.ok?

2)Example:
Can i check one of my games in all of my want list, so the program will know that i have only one copy for trade?

Thanks!

All trades will be one for one. If you check Dakara & Hunting Party for Tempus, that means you will trade EITHER game for Tempus, not both.

The tool knows how many instances you have for trade. So if you say that you'd trade Dakara for Tempus, Niagara, Warhammer Quest, or Wits & Wagers. That means you will trade your ONE copy of Dakara for ANY ONE of the list of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As James said, you check off a list of the items you are willing to receive in exchange for each your items.

With the tool I probably should have also given a pointer to the math trade guide at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/93555

Just ignore the part about creating your want lists and submitting them, this is the part this tool replaces.

Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Guenette
Canada
Montréal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My only question, is once the changes have been confirmed, how do you get that file? I'm not sure, there is no send file to you... Does that mean once filled you automatically get it? Then all we can do is close the window? I'll leave it open just in case for now.

Great tool. But i want to be sure i use it correctly.

Marc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Perry
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Ex-Term-In-Ate
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwebec wrote:
My only question, is once the changes have been confirmed, how do you get that file? I'm not sure, there is no send file to you... Does that mean once filled you automatically get it? Then all we can do is close the window? I'll leave it open just in case for now.

Marc

It remembers my wants between sessions (even between computers work/home). So I'm assuming that Jeff has my wants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Maxwell
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regai wrote:
Kwebec wrote:

Marc

It remembers my wants between sessions (even between computers work/home). So I'm assuming that Jeff has my wants.

Jeff has said that he's adding a confirm/submit function tonight, so I don't think this is a safe assumption.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Davis
United States
East Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonderful tool Jeff...

I do have a suggestion:

Would it be possible to add each person's country to the list (Maybe display it under their name?). I know when I'm looking through the list, it will make it much easier to tell who will ship to me and who won't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cmpterman2 wrote:
Would it be possible to add each person's country to the list (Maybe display it under their name?). I know when I'm looking through the list, it will make it much easier to tell who will ship to me and who won't.

It's definitely something I'd like to have... but there's no easy way to get it. There's definitely no way to retrieve the info from the any of BGG's XML API's, it can only be obtained by mining for data in the html (ie. bgg's web pages), and that's not reliable because the html can change at any time (and Scott does actively make changes to the site).

Note that for the math trade I last ran that required this tool to be used, I put into the math trade's rule that folks who had mirror shipping or would only cover up to a certain amount of the shipping, to include in their descriptions where they would be shipping from. Sadly most didn't

I've also been wanting to put the selected geeklist image into the tool's geeklist summary page, but that's also still not available via the XML API
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just made a small change to the editor part of the tool (the one that displays the matrix of your items and those you want)....

Now when you make a change (ie. check or uncheck a box), not only does it enable the "Confirm Changes" form submit button, it now also hides the other "tabs".

This is to avoid confusion for folks who may make changes they haven't confirmed yet, then view the summary or one of the other tabs, they will not have been updated yet to reflect changes (I'm thinking some folks think the summary and other tabs may be modified dynamically as you check/uncheck boxes in the Table/edit tab).

Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Roney
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How often do you update collection information? Shear Panic (which I traded away in the last math trade and marked as such a couple of weeks ago, I think) is still showing up as 'owned' when I use the tool. I have just been using it to quickly browse the geeklist, since I am currently not participating because nobody wants my junk and I don't see anything I want for my one good game I am considering trading, but noticed that my collection was not updated in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sroney wrote:
How often do you update collection information? ... I am currently not participating ...

I only resync the collection data for those particpating in the math trade. I also only do it infrequently (and manually) during the submission period, and then once more after the submission period closes.

Reason is because it's a pretty expensive operation... that's because the BGG XML API only lets you retrieve the collection data for one user per request, so with over 100 users in the typical math trade...

It's another item on the "to do" list thought that users not even particpating in the currently active math trade(s) can request their data be resynced (with some restrictions that the last sync was at least some time period ago).

Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Altoona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff, here are some suggestions based on the discussion in Carl's MT. Take them or leave them.

1) Having full documentation is good. Having full documentation as the first thing you see, bad. I would move the full documentation either externally, to its own thread (then ask for focused discussion on the documentation itself), or keep it on this thread and make a new thread that focused on your tool.

2) You already think in steps, which is good. Now we need to focus on which steps are important when. When someone sees your generator, what is the first thing they need to do? They need to sign up and know their privacy will be maintained. How about something like this?

Quote:
JeffyJeff's MT Wantlist Generator
Insert a brief description here. Maybe advertise a little. "Have you ever mistyped an entry for a want list? Well friend, never again with this tool."

To get started, goto http://activityclub.org/bgg/bgglogin.cgi to submit your BGG login. No password needed, just click the link in the geek mail you receive!

If you want to know what you are getting into, the full documentation available at: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/159648

Done! No more no less. (present information on a need to know basis)

3) Now they have signed up, what do they need to do next. Well they need to practice using the tool! To do this, create a fake math trade geeklist. I'm sure you could get some help with this, but nothing too big, say 50 items. It is important that this is fake so users aren't worried about screwing something up so it needs to be obvious. The other plus to the fake MT is that the items are consistent and not in flux so it makes hand-holding easier. Moving on...

4) Now users are in the system and they have a fake MT to play with, they need more direction. At the top of the fake MT in your tool have very specific directions.

Quote:
Fake math trade (in bigger letters)
Logged in as: ?????

Please scroll through the math trade items. If you are interested in an item, click Add > Save. Don't worry you can edit/delete items later. (note: you can delete saved items, right?)

Make the most important info in bold. Create a link for "edit/delete" that goes to the next step after adding.

5) Good work on having a link to the next step at the bottom of the MT!

6) The next step basically needs directions. "Select which games you wish to include for you listed games". The buttons need better CSS. Better yet, lose the buttons and see the next item.

7) At the bottom,
Quote:
"Only three more steps to go!

1. Double-check your summary. Your game should be first and wants listed below.
2. If the summary checks out, get the official want list. If not, go back and fix things.
3. Copy and paste your want list in a geekmail to the moderator (have a link to the moderator's geekmail here).

Thanks. If this tool helped, tips/comments are appreciated! (with appropriate links)

Each step above has the appropriate links. If possible, bold the next step. That is, when looking at the summary, the second step should be in bold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Altoona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, that was way more than I intended to write. If you need any help, let me know. I have backgrounds in teaching and web development/usability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [75] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.