Verno Whitney
United States
Winfield
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Math Trade Online Want List Generator (OLWLG) - Discussion, Problem Report, etc thread
Perhaps a stupid question, but how do I set my location within the OLWLG so I can see an accurate distance between me and other traders?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
"We talked a little more of Milesians and Firbolgs; but I do not write what he told me here, as it is at variance with things I have written already, as is often the case with legend, whence comes a pleasing variety." -Lord Dunsany
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Math Trade Online Want List Generator (OLWLG) - Discussion, Problem Report, etc thread
VernoWhitney wrote:
Perhaps a stupid question, but how do I set my location within the OLWLG so I can see an accurate distance between me and other traders?

It's in an odd place:

Scroll down past the current trades, and Jeff's red notes - then you'll see it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Verno Whitney
United States
Winfield
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sos1 wrote:
VernoWhitney wrote:

It's in an odd place:

Scroll down past the current trades, and Jeff's red notes - then you'll see it.

I don't believe I ever would have guessed that on my own, so thank you very much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, a feature suggestion. In my haste to get the results up for a math trade tonight, I inadvertently uploaded the results file from a prior math trade (the similarly named trade for which this was a leftover). I hadn't noticed when I quickly went to upload that I was in the wrong directory.

In any case, instead of spitting an error at me, it instead parsed the results with the existing numbers (I am guessing) resulting in people making exceptionally weird trades. Essentially, if a user traded item 1301 for item 3632 in the first trade, it posted the same result in this trade, although item 1301 and item 3632 were completely different items in this trade.

Clearly this is on me and my rush. But. Is there a way to build in some kind of check feature to make sure that something like this doesn't happen again? I was fortunately able to catch it RIGHT away and upload the correct file before people starting freaking out TOO much, but it still caused a bit of trauma for some folks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stef Boets
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How can I log off? I use several accounts on BGG and can't seem to find the "log off" button on the math trade website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
"We talked a little more of Milesians and Firbolgs; but I do not write what he told me here, as it is at variance with things I have written already, as is often the case with legend, whence comes a pleasing variety." -Lord Dunsany
mbmbmbmbmb
Khorros wrote:
How can I log off? I use several accounts on BGG and can't seem to find the "log off" button on the math trade website.

I do it unintentionally every time I clear cookies on my browser! Find your browser's privacy option, and then Clear Individual Cookies. Delete the one from bgg.activityclub.org. That'll do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clicking another login link than your own would probably do it as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Oz
United States
Litchfield
NH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Khorros wrote:

From the source: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/4444713#4444713

JeffyJeff wrote:
Yea, I didn't provide a "logout" from past experience w/another website.

But the first person can be implicitly logged out by the 2nd person logging in (by clicking on the login link in the geekmail or stored bookmark). The other cookie though that keeps track of how much of the geeklist you've seen though is shared so the 2nd person will need to use the link to view the entire list.

An even better solution though... if you share a computer each user can still have their own account and you can "switch user"... then the cookies are per user.

Another solution is to use different browsers, such as one using IE, another Firefox, or Chrome, etc.

I'm still thinking of moving switching the cookie that keeps track of the last time you've looked at the list (to show only new ones next visit) to something that's stored on the server.... then it will be remembered for you across different browsers and/or computers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kale
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
I reiterate. This is Sparta!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is something down? I have been trying to do the last resync to open the want lists since last night. I get the following error message;

Quote:
Not Found

The requested URL /olwlg/syncmt.cgi was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.2.22 (Ubuntu) Server at bgg.activityclub.org Port 80

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boanerges wrote:
Is something down? I have been trying to do the last resync to open the want lists since last night. I get the following error message;

Quote:
Not Found

The requested URL /olwlg/syncmt.cgi was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.2.22 (Ubuntu) Server at bgg.activityclub.org Port 80

There's been some work done because of an update in the API, as mentioned here: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/20802562#20802562

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An advanced "problem" to think about for the hardcore Math traders:
(Please do of course point me to any mistakes, but please assume that I understood the basics of MTs.)

Consider the following fictional situation:
1) A offers a game "g" in a MT and offers free shipping to the entire area of the MT. Say the shipping will cost him $ 15.

2) B offers "$10 via Paypal, fees paid".

3) In his wishlist, B wants A's item g for the $10.

4) B is lucky, and the official confirmed MT results do indeed contain the trade g <=> $10
Edit:
To make it more clear: the results look like this:
A receives XX (Other item) from C and gives game g to B

B receives game g from A and gives $10 to D.

C&D as above, the remaining items are NOT relevant to the scenario!
The DEAL between A and B is not part of the MT. It only substitutes one single transactions.

5) Now they could just do the trade as normal and nothing further happens (B has probably made a good deal, nothing more).

or

B makes A the following offer: "I (B) pay my $10 to the third party and you (A) pay me $12, in return you can keep your game g!"
Looks like a win-win situation:
A pays $12 to B instead of paying $15 to the post. Even if he has no use at all for the game he may keep, the deal is still positive to A. (The next trash bin is always nearer than the next post office, $3 are better than $0)

B pays $10 and receives $12
without any further transactions. ($2 gain) This pretty much reminds us of arbitrage. Do we just consider this a complete no-go and forbid it? What actually: the deviant deal with A or the wanting practice conducted by B? And why? They don't hurt any other participants at all; the others don't care (and in fact probably wouldn't even notice!) that A didn't send B the game but $12.

Proposed solutions:
- There is no problem, everything's fine. A and B just made a good deal without hurting anyone else. You are clearly overthinking a non-problem here.

- No, we never want anyone to gain money for nothing: Forbid to add items whose shipping costs are $X to the wishlists of monetary items up to the value $X (Problem: Everybody would need to give the actual shipping costs, the best MT trades are made impossible without any true reason)

- No, we never want anyone to gain money for nothing: Forbid deviant deals and force everybody to conduct the exact trades given by the MT. Probably hard to enforce as both A and B gain from the deal without really hurting anyone else. Also, their deal is negotiated and conducted privately.

-etc.?

What do you think?
Is there a problem and if yes, how to solve it? Has anybody thought about that before/are there any actual MT rules dealing with this situation?

(Whatever the solution - if there will be any rule changes to be made, every individual MT organisator will of course be responsible for their own MTs)

(Not strictly relevant to the OLWLG per se. Still posting this here due to the lack of a general MT discussion thread.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you really want your brain to explode consider this variant of the case:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Same situation as above, but A now has - as per the official MT results- received $20 for his game g from the third party on his side of the trade. (A legal trade, he receives money for a game item.) If he makes the deal with B (as described above), we have potential arbitrage on both sides!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Marshall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're misthinking this. A and B won't make a direct trade (one-to-one) unless both put the other's item on their want list. A would have to want B's $10 for his game g, aware (hopefully) of shipping cost. If that's what he gets, that's his mistake!

The more common is A's $10 wants B's game g wants C wants D wants E wants A's $10. A gets g for $10 but B gets something else that he deems worthy of g + $10 shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TedMarshall wrote:
You're misthinking this. A and B won't make a direct trade (one-to-one) unless both put the other's item on their want list. A would have to want B's $10 for his game g, aware (hopefully) of shipping cost. If that's what he gets, that's his mistake!

The more common is A's $10 wants B's game g wants C wants D wants E wants A's $10. A gets g for $10 but B gets something else that he deems worthy of g + $10 shipping.

No, you didn't quite understand what I intended to say. I am well aware of the general procedure of a MT. In my scenario both A and B have a third trading partner each. As a result of the MT A would normally send B game g. This is where their deal comes in.
As said before, the whole thing is quite complex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me simplify your scenario, if I may.

I am in a math trade. I am due to receive game g "worth" $15 retail from Trader B. I realize that it is available from Amazon with free shipping for $12 because I have prime. The Trade partner owes me $15 game + shipping (let's say $10). I offer to my would be sender a deal -- don't send me your game, send me a $15 Amazon gift card instead. For a mere $5 the trader can keep his game, and I can buy said game, get free shipping, and have $3 to spend on another game in the future. In the balance sheet, he has saved $10 (since game value + shipping = $25 and he is only giving up $15)

If you don't see anything wrong with that (I don't), then what does t matter if I offered up $10, $20, or a $15 game to get it?

Ultimately, I see no reason why a recipient can't negotiate to receive something else instead as long as the sender is happy with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hestiansun wrote:
Let me simplify your scenario, if I may.

I am in a math trade. I am due to receive game g "worth" $15 retail from Trader B. I realize that it is available from Amazon with free shipping for $12 because I have prime. The Trade partner owes me $15 game + shipping (let's say $10). I offer to my would be sender a deal -- don't send me your game, send me a $15 Amazon gift card instead. For a mere $5 the trader can keep his game, and I can buy said game, get free shipping, and have $3 to spend on another game in the future. In the balance sheet, he has saved $10 (since game value + shipping = $25 and he is only giving up $15)

If you don't see anything wrong with that (I don't), then what does t matter if I offered up $10, $20, or a $15 game to get it?

Ultimately, I see no reason why a recipient can't negotiate to receive something else instead as long as the sender is happy with it.

Yes, quite similar and definitely easier to understand.

And yes, I understand your opinion. I am about to agree. However, I thought I'd ask for some others' thoughts first as the normal arbitrage case is obviously (rightfully) despised and forbidden. In the scenario, B would essentially get money for nothing*. When I started to take part in MTs, people told me getting money for nothing is the big no-go. That's where my doubts come from. (Maybe I'll have to research the detailed reasoning behind arbitrage ban more thoroughly...)

(In my basic case the game's value was irrelevant (assume $0), A would only accept B's deal offer if it is lower than what he would have to pay to the post. So it only works if "B's money item <= postage".)

*He doesn't really bear any considerable risks as well. Assume he always offers [shipping costs]-$2 for every item. Anyone with half a brain would always accept paying the money to him instead of paying it to the post and dealing with the packaging, driving (and losing a game in fact!!). So the risk is extremely limited. So if it continues to be legal and widely accepted, it might be quite a good trading strategy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. I think intent and impact have more to do than result.

A person who is due to receive a game opting to take a cash payout doesn't impact anyone else in the trade. Whereas it has been shown that someone who trades $20 for $30 intentionally is draining value from the trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Laufer
United States
Millington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the degenerate case, this is arbitrage in disguise. If the person has no intention of getting or giving any games, they're not adding anything to the trade. But I don't see any way to police it, and I don't think it's likely to be common.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gonzoron wrote:
In the degenerate case, this is arbitrage in disguise. If the person has no intention of getting or giving any games, they're not adding anything to the trade. But I don't see any way to police it, and I don't think it's likely to be common.

Agreed. I think depending upon the notion that you can get your trade partner to give you enough cash in lieu of sending a game to represent more than what you would be putting out to get it awarded to you by the MT is an unwise strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SUGGESTION:
In the results summary, outside the scope of BGG - outside the scope of BGG trades (or altname-altname ones? idk) are marked red. A nice feature that quickly allows to find possible arbitrage.

Would it be possible to implement that feature into the step 4 summary as well? So that users can see/get a warning if their wishlist contains any possible arbitrage. If their outside the scope of BGG item is non-monetary, they can ignore the warning, otherwise they get a chance to correct any arbitrage based on mistakenly checked boxes.

Obviously this wouldn't help prevent or detect deliberate fraud but I think it would be a nice simple measure to add some safety.

Thoughts?

(The feature would be even more useful to users of the vertical values tool (like me) who have to actually UNcheck all money-money trades in step 4.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New BGG ruling - Gift Cards now considered BGG market purchases in math trades:

Cash Value Trades in Math Trades (and how to make a geek market listing for them)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Somehow missed the final sync after closing down the tradelist in BGG. We're now missing a bunch of game entries in the OLWLG and not seeing any obvious way to do a re-sync after the fact.

I tried toggling the online submissions so I could do a final re-sync, but that didn't help.

Any ideas or suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cannibal Ox wrote:
I tried toggling the online submissions so I could do a final re-sync, but that didn't help.

I have a vague memory that this came up recently. Maybe check the last few pages of the OLWLG moderator's thread?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
Cannibal Ox wrote:

I have a vague memory that this came up recently. Maybe check the last few pages of the OLWLG moderator's thread?

Thanks. Found the exact script I that I needed to run to fix the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cannibal Ox wrote:
Somehow missed the final sync after closing down the tradelist in BGG. We're now missing a bunch of game entries in the OLWLG and not seeing any obvious way to do a re-sync after the fact.

That exact same thing happened in the German Math trade which ended at the start of this week, too. The admin had no solution for it other than blank the Wishlists for all items at the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  71 , 72 , 73 , 74 , 75  Next »  [75] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.