flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Helpful sites...

Rings DB: Deck building site to store decks or check out others
FFG LotR LCG Forum: For posting tough questions
BGG LotR LCG family page: List of all exps and order they came out
Hall of Beorn: General tips and strategies
Tales From the Cards: General tips and strategies

I know many here hate it, find it too hard, etc, but it's a staple for me, with so many facets to explore, easily giving me the best cost to play ratio. So I'm making a thread for those who play it to share what we're doing as I find sharing the experience fun. Note: I always play 2-handed, which, for me, makes the game.

The latest I have is Grey Havens. I've not played it, but with the newer cards, I built 2 decks around the Erestor Lore hero from a while back (first time played him) and had fun with the new discard mechanics as I tackled the 2 latest print on demand scenarios (Prancing Pony and Belegost).

I've now built 2 decks with a "Rangers of Ithlien" theme. One is built around Leadership Faramir and Ents (with Tactics Aragorn and Mablung) and the other around Damrod and Traps (with Haldir and Lore Pippin). Both decks have cards to play on the other deck as they team up. With these, I'm tackling the Saga quests, which is only the 2nd time I've tried them.

I've beaten quests 1, 1.1, 1.2, 2, 3, 4, and just started 5 with the Balrog. All fun stuff with some cool moments and synergies. And although Faramir and Damrod enable the general deck strategies, it's Aragorn and Haldir who have combat-centric fun, denying enemy attacks via abilities and direct damage cards. With some Saga boons, they (along with Mablung) really shine.

For those playing LotR LCG, what you playing these days?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Alton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Paper 'Mech - winner 'Best Overall Design' in the 2016 1-page PNP Contest
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My current favourite is a Dunedain trap deck with amarthuil, lore Aragon and damrod.
All based around forest snare on engaged enemies, then using all the bonuses that gives the Dunedain to power up.
Lots of fun and plays to my preference for true solo.

I'll post up my deck list later (short on time right now)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked up a collection very recently and I'm working my way through from the beginning. In fact, I think I'm on the same quest as you. Just last night I did the one with the "Nameless Terror", is that it?

I'm trying to do it more or less progression style, using only the cards that would have been out at the time of the quest. Makes it a bit more challenging too. The deck I'm using now is a tri-sphere using Theodred (Leadership/Lore/SPirit) for some resource smoothing, I actually need to make a few small tuneups to it though.

The one big thing I'm noticing though is that some quests are just not really well tuned for one player. Example, the one with the multiple Trolls with sacks, or the one where one player at a time has to guard Gollum and their threat is going up 4 points per turn. Without more people to take on the Trolls or more people to share the threat load, it's just a bad quest. Even the Nameless Terror quest isn't good for one because you can't turn over enough cards from the quest deck to reliably find the Tools card you need soon enough. Last night we got to the last phase of the quest at threat 34, looked in the deck, and since we weren't going to draw it in the next 16 turns there was no way for us to win no matter how well we had questing and combat under control. Sucky ending there.

Now, I see that you're playing two-fisted so you're probably not running into this problem as much as I am, and using the whole card pool surely helps as well as you can build more tuned decks. Can you give me your impressions on this issue? Right now I'm just planning on keeping going and maybe come back to some of these quests later on with a two-fisted setup and bigger card pool.

Edit: I have up to the end of the Ring-Maker series but missing two packs, Celebrimbor and Nin-en-Eiliph. Sometime I plan to pick up those two plus the next box but no rush on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mbmbmb
Think the last time I played it (with the missus months ago)

We were here:
running for our lives. I think we won, but only after a few of our heroes were killed. A real tough one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sheppard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am a rejuvenated lapsee sauron

Currently half way through the Mirkwood cycle and busy collecting the Darrowdelf Aps.

I have a fairly thematic deck (well as thematic as one can be with Rohan looking for Gollum!) I would love a Dunedain deck for this cycle but my card pool possibly couldn't fill the Hero slots! laugh

Spirit/Leadership
Theordred
Eowyn
Dunhere

And a Tactics Rohan/Eagles/Beornings deck for the beating up of trolls
(We hates those nasty trollses!)
Which has been great fun except the Beorning beekeepers are a bit expensive and don't seem to do much! laugh
Beorn
Legolas
Eomer

Have really enjoyed getting back into LOTR LCG again
I have to thank Elemeeple for her Youtube video where she gives good advice: Use "easy" mode or as I prefer Thematic mode, and use pre built decks to help assemble them.

Also Kallisto 73 Youtube playthroughs which use real hands and cards. For some reason I can't concentrate on the octagon series, excellent as some of them are.

Hope to play Dead Marshes very soon.
Thanks to the changes in my approach to the game, it is my No1 atm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuhns, party of four!
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea Jeremy. I get overwhelmed when I think about venturing on to the forums for this game as they are huge. I'm glad we can have a little 1PG thread for advice/tips. I do peak at some of the blogs once in a while. Maybe you could edit your OP to include some links to helpful sources?

I play one or two handed though I found I prefer one handed if it can work just due to less to mess with. I play on Easy mode because I also don't have the time to beat my head against quests. I win the easier ones outright, but have to work on the tougher ones, which is about how I like it.

I have through the Lost Realm expansion and its APs. I have played Core, Mirkwood and the Hobbit saga! So I have some work to do. whistle I'm kind of particular too in that I'd really like my decks/play to be as canonical as possible.

I'm currently staring at The Battle of Laketown and I think I found some decks I'll try, but I'm not too hopeful for anything like a victory.

@Chris-I'd love to see that deck! It sounds fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm all for the 2-handed thing.

I've played through all of the Mirkwood cycle. Since then, I keep adding more packs to my Coolstuff orders to take me over $100 and I'll restart the whole thing once I have it all starting with the Hobbit, then Saga cycles then through all the packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Chris -- I've not tried Amarthiul yet, but sounds like a solid way to play him. (Though maybe it's me, but I thought he was a "she" at first. )

David -- Nameless Fear is the Balrog in a different quest. I'm going through the Saga quests, which uses him differently. As for 1 or 2 handed, I vastly prefer 2 handed. It makes Ranged and Sentinel shine, and enables more teamwork and tactics. For instance, my Faramir deck plays weapons on the other deck's Haldir, letting Faramir engage enemies so Haldir can kill some outright before they attack. And Faramir's Sentinel Ents take attacks for Damrod's deck, while Damrod puts Wingfoot card on Aragorn, Faramir puts Steward of Gondor on Damrod who has lots of card draws, etc.)

Regardless of my personal preference, I find 1 handed can be extreme -- either quite easy (if you get Henamarth Riversong in play) or quite hard (given scenarios like you mentioned.) Still, 1 handed can work, but you should try 2 handed as familiarity sets in. For me, it feels like 6 heroes working together rather than separate. In fact, when I build, it's specifically for 2 decks that always play together -- I never just play with 2 random decks.

Adam -- I kind of remember that one. It did seem harder, but also quite thematic, if I'm recalling correctly. But I'm more jealous you can play the game with your wife.

Paul -- Thematic decks are fun, and I love Beorn, in part because of the art. And yeah, I don't think I've ever used Beorning Beekeeper as the cost is far too high for what he does.

Dave -- Good idea about links. I really do find a lot of fun in sharing, so every bit helps as we can discuss whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Alton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Paper 'Mech - winner 'Best Overall Design' in the 2016 1-page PNP Contest
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the Dunedain deck list I've been using.
Amarthuil is a fantastic hero. As soon as you get 2 enemies engaged with you he's earning 2 resources per round and is dual sphere. 3 defence is also solid.

New Lord of the Rings LCG Deck

Main Deck

Hero (3)
Amarthiúl (The Battle of Carn Dûm)
Aragorn (The Watcher in the Water)
Damrod (The Land of Shadow)

Ally (21)
2x Fornost Bowman (The Dread Realm)
3x Galadriel (The Road Darkens)
3x Gandalf (Core Set)
3x Guardian of Arnor (The Battle of Carn Dûm)
3x Master of the Forge (Shadow and Flame)
2x Northern Tracker (Core Set)
3x Sarn Ford Sentry (The Lost Realm)
2x Warden of Annúminas (The Lost Realm)

Attachment (18)
2x A Burning Brand (Conflict at the Carrock)
2x Blood of Númenor (Heirs of Númenor)
2x Celebrían's Stone (Core Set)
3x Forest Snare (Core Set)
2x Heir of Valandil (The Lost Realm)
3x Ranger Spikes (Heirs of Númenor)
3x Steward of Gondor (Core Set)
1x Sword that was Broken (The Watcher in the Water)

Event (11)
2x A Good Harvest (The Steward's Fear)
3x Daeron's Runes (Foundations of Stone)
3x Descendants of Kings (Escape from Mount Gram)
3x Sneak Attack (Core Set)

3 Heroes, 50 Cards
Cards up to The Dread Realm

Deck built on http://ringsdb.com.

There's lots of card draw in here, the main cards we are looking for are the forest snares. Galadriel and the masters of the forge help weed out your attachments. As soon as you get a couple of enemy engaged and snares the deck really starts to sing.

It's based off a list posted by Seastan, with a few tweaks here and there so I don't take full credit, but man it's a lot of fun to play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I need to try out 2-hand I think. In any game with a range of players the sweet spot is usually in the middle rather than the extremes, and that goes at least doubly so for LotR I think. I just need to make a second deck sometime and give it a try.

But, I do have concerns about the extra space and fiddlyness, my table is crowded already with Dawn of the Zeds set up on one half and Lord of the Rings on the other. I don't know how I'd free up enough room to hold the Allies from two decks at once. I guess my best bet is to scoot the play area further back but hopefully I won't need to move it so far that it's hard to reach the quest deck & stuff.

Hard to say which of the two is my #1 game right now, they're both great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been greatly enjoying the current cycle. I got a chance to try The Temple of the Deceived today and it's amazing. Such a cool new way of handling locations. I hope it's not the last time we see something like this.

I've been running the same two decks for the whole cycle with great success. One is mono Spirit with Eowyn, Cirdan, and Arwen. It's built for pure questing, with the standard compliment of threat reduction and cancellation. The other is mono Tactics with Aragorn, Beorn, and Beregond. Just like its Spirit companion it is pure in its focus, and its focus is death to my enemies.

I normally enjoy playing with more combo oriented decks like Sylvan and Noldor, but there is something to be said for the raw simplicity of questing and fighting. High willpower characters, high attack and defense characters, and no frills. It also helps that I always play two-handed and that's already a bit of a pain without having to manage elvish shenanigans.

It's a great time to be playing this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spent some time recently trying out deck strategies I hadn't played with before, so I've been mostly netdecking lately, including a absolutely crazy Erestor / Gondor Ally Spam, deck, a Rossiel deck, Mono Spirit Sword Thain / Caldara, a modern Rohan deck, and a Elrond big-allies deck which is the one that was the most fun and is still currently sleeved up. This thread is reminding me that I need to try out a Dunedain deck!

I'm kind of randomly picking quests from the first three cycles to play with an emphasis on Journey down the Anduin. When I pick the game back up I'll probably build a simple Spirit heavy deck to accompany a fairly standard Hobbit deck and start replaying through the first two Saga boxes in Campaign mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Builder
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The art in this game is so amazing.

Is there a resource with recommended house rules to make difficult solo quests more doable? If not there should be.

As an example I wasn't able to defeat the 3rd quest in the core box single handed. So I played a version where I get to choose which hero is imprisoned. I still couldn't win. Then I tried a version where all three heroes remained in play and my Gandalf card was imprisoned. Instead of winning a hero back I got to add Gandalf into my hand. And I won that game. So for me the core box has three perfectly playable solo quests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sheppard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jellyfish1 wrote:
The art in this game is so amazing.

Is there a resource with recommended house rules to make difficult solo quests more doable? If not there should be.

As an example I wasn't able to defeat the 3rd quest in the core box single handed. So I played a version where I get to choose which hero is imprisoned. I still couldn't win. Then I tried a version where all three heroes remained in play and my Gandalf card was imprisoned. Instead of winning a hero back I got to add Gandalf into my hand. And I won that game. So for me the core box has three perfectly playable solo quests.

The rules book has an easy mode (which is still difficult).
You may start with 2 resources per hero.
You may remove cards from the encounter deck that are now printed with a gold ring surrounding the encounter deck symbol.

There is a FAQ which tells you which cards to exclude from the encounter deck.

hth
ps some games are easier with 2 decks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chibipaul wrote:
The rules book has an easy mode (which is still difficult).

Depends which version of the game you have - mine doesn't for example. It was added at some point in a later print run and not everyone's aware of this (there's also some confusion with the 'Basic' mode, which is in the original rule book - as you say, they're not synonymous). It does get mentioned from time to time on BGG but it's probably good that you brought it up again here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sheppard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doh! my bad Lee.
Of course you are correct about the easy mode being absent from the early rules. It was late when I posted. whistle

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2013/5/14/play-at...

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/lotr-l...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg Bauer
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all the player cards that are available in German. But I usually just play older quests, quite often stuff from the Dwarrodelve and the Heirs of Numenor cycles. Then newer quests are far too fiddly IMO, especially the Ringmaker cycle with all the time mechanics. Eugh. But something like Into Ithilien is just clean bashy fun to play with the right deck.

I allways have a bunch of decks prebuilt, and I try to keep them kinda separately viable. I play singlehanded, so all of them kinda work solo, allthough some of them might need some nudge from the godess of luck to survive.

My favorite deck up to now is an ent deck with either Elrond at the helm (accompanied by Taktik Merry and Lore Pippin), for the ressource fixing, or with Baumbart himself at the helm, even though he has no synergies with his treefolks at all. I just love it thematically. I did run Gandalf as the main hero in that deck, too, but that easily gets into ressource problems.

My second favorite one is an eagle deck headed by Taktik Aragorn, Mablung and Armathiul. Has some nice stable ressource production, so it actually is able to play the heavy eagles, and has some heroes that are worthy of having the Support of the Eagles. Makes for some fun games, but can have really bad blowouts, too, if it doesn't get going.

Then I have a Dwarve and a Silvan deck prebuilt, because I like both archetypes and they are easy to get working without canabalizing my other decks.

The most recent thing I am trying to get going is a Noldor discard deck, because I think it is a fun archetype and makes for some very different play. Still in the theorycrafting stage, though. It was an Elrond deck before that, which has the benefit of being very stable in play, so I might go back to it, but Noldor Discard is just a very fresh take on playing.

Oh, and I use thematic (aka "easy") mode all the time. I might leave the gold-ringed card in (or actually in the older cycles the cards aren't marked anyway), but I allways use the additional ressource at the start, because thematic decks often take far too long to buildup to be viable in solo play against standard mode quests. I want at least some chance to win every now and then
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I posted some sites in the OP. Will repeat them here...

Rings DB: Deck building site to store decks or check out others
FFG LotR LCG Forum: For posting tough questions
BGG LotR LCG family page: List of all exps and order they came out
Hall of Beorn: General tips and strategies
Tales From the Cards: General tips and strategies

So last night I defeated the Balrog via hero sacrifice -- so sad and wonderfully thematic. Onto Saga quest 6. Does anyone know if they plan on releasing more mini saga quests, like 1.1 (The Old Forest) and 1.2 (Fog on the Barrow-downs)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuhns, party of four!
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tales from the Cards is pretty cool too. And has a whole First Age cycle they made up and can be purchased on Printerstudio (I haven't done this yet)

https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
JYoder wrote:
Does anyone know if they plan on releasing more mini saga quests, like 1.1 (The Old Forest) and 1.2 (Fog on the Barrow-downs)?

Nothing announced yet, this year's Gen-Con quest is not but maybe the Fellowship event in October or November? I don't know what events they'd be trying to fill in at this point. We have box 5 with:
The Passing of the Grey Company
The Siege of Gondor
The Battle of the Pellenor Fields

Box 6 needs to have (IMO; speculation):
The Tower of Cirith Ungol
The Journey through Mordor
The Cracks of Doom
The Morannon
The Scouring of the Shire

The last I could easily see as GenCon or Fellowship event quest and Cracks of Doom/Morannon could be designed as essentially two quests played simultaneously: separate staging areas and encounter decks (and player decks?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sheppard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davekuhns wrote:
Tales from the Cards is pretty cool too. And has a whole First Age cycle they made up and can be purchased on Printerstudio (I haven't done this yet)

https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/

Good call
Their new player buying guide is great resource too imho

Another DB site
http://www.ringsdb.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I added Tales from the Cards, but already had RingsDB listed -- my new favorite site for deck building. It's excellent.

TheGargoyle wrote:
I allways have a bunch of decks prebuilt, and I try to keep them kinda separately viable. I play singlehanded, so all of them kinda work solo...
That's a nice advantage of 1 handed -- you can potentially have a few decks sitting around to pick up.

Two fun decks I have are entitled "Force of Nature" with the main deck of Treebeard, Beorn, and Mablung leading an army of Ents and Eagles. The other deck has Gandalf, Glorindel, and Elrond that churns out allies. The two decks together are almost too powerful, regardless of their high starting threats. Plus, they are older, so once I tweak them with newer cards, they'll seem even more so.

I also had a lot of fun with a Rossiel/Mirlonde secrecy deck, paired with a Theoden (spirit)/Eomer/Merry (Spirit) Rohan deck. Lots of funky things the secrecy deck did by putting encounter cards into the victory pile.

One deck I've never tried is straight up Hobbits or Dwarves, but that's a great thing about the game -- so much to explore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard :
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased the Core Set in late January this year. I have just gone past 100 plays and still think there is much to explore in that box.

I have been playing single deck (except at the start where I tried a few double-handed games using the provided mono-sphere 30 card decks, just to appreciate the difference between one and two handed) and have had a great time exploring all the sphere combinations pairwise, and discovering favourite cards, and favourite combinations.

My current deck is a Spirit/Lore deck with the three female heroes (Beravor, Eleanor, Éowyn) that I enjoy playing. I have also tried some of Ninjadorg's scenarios to supplement the original three (well, two so far - I have yet to attempt the last one). I am not at the end of the single handed options, but I can feel it is not too far off, and then I will try some double handed.

When I purchased this, I learned that the single pack expansions were going up in price, so I bought up a lot of the original packaging ones that I could find locally. They all sit in my cupboard unopened. I am planning to tackle them in published order, but am in no particular hurry.

Lastly, I try to avoid reading up on what other people are doing. I want to explore the game myself and make all my own mistakes. For me, the deck-building, then playing to test your build, and return to tweak your deck based on what happened is what keeps it interesting. I did see names of cards in other people's posts as I scanned and know that I have a lot of game to look forward to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the bilge rat wrote:
I purchased the Core Set in late January this year. I have just gone past 100 plays and still think there is much to explore in that box.

You have over 100 plays of just the core box?!?! That's incredible!!! I'm approaching 300 plays total but that's with every quest in the game. That's really cool to hear. You're right to say you have a lot to look forward to!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those of you who read my posts on SGOYT will already know all this so apologies in advance for boring you!

I got this game last and immediately fell in love with it. I used to play Magic but got really annoyed it after a while. LOTR LCG fixed many of the issues I had with Magic AND allowed me to play on my own. Massive win from my point of view.

I don't have much time to play games so I'm still on the Mirkwood cycle. I always play two handed so I can take full advantage of skills like ranged and sentinel. Once you get used to the flow of the game, managing two hands of cards is very manageable and I would highly recommend people give it a try.

As for my current deck, I'm still using the initial card draw deck that I first built. I've been upgrading it with cards from the expansion packs as I get to them but the basic idea remains card draw. What is surprising is how much success I've had with that deck despite some perceived shortcomings.

While the deck is good at questing, it isn't very good at combat (my biggest fear is a string of nasty monsters as I've had some games end with just that situation). Other than card draw, my deck doesn't really excel at anything which is why I've been surprised at its success. Ultimately, I think the success of that deck comes down to the fact that there is a card in that deck for almost every situation. And the ability to draw cards means that I've likely got the card I need when I need it.

In conclusion, this is a fantastic game with amazing depth (seeing the number of different successful decks and approaches never ceases to amaze me) which I think I'm going to be playing for a long, long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [20] |