Amy Pearson
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JYoder wrote:

Escape from Dol Guldur is just plain mean, and you should feel free to use any cards to deal with it. Also, if you want to have a much better chance, definitely play it two-handed -- having 1/6 of your heroes immobilized vs 1/3 makes a huge difference.

This quest is the reason I've changed my default to 2-handed. I was hoping that filtering down to "easy" mode would help, but then I realized that a full half of the encounter deck were locations, and even with Aragorn and Glorfindel, I just can't overcome the questing while keeping enough characters active to deal with the enemies that come out of the deck.

I guess it's time to revisit my deck again. I've tried to borrow from RingsDB, but I wanted to figure out how to solve this one myself. That desire is quickly fading under the desire to shred these quest cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just looked back (I keep a record of my decks, even though I don't look at anyone else's) and I used these two core set decks:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Heroes

• Éowyn Core Set 7
• Dúnhere Core Set 9
• Aragorn Core Set 1

Deck

3x • Gandalf (Core Set 73)
2x Northern Tracker (Core Set 45)
2x Power in the Earth (Core Set 56)
1x Unexpected Courage (Core Set 57)
2x The Galadhrim's Greeting (Core Set 46)
2x Strength of Will (Core Set 47)
2x Will of the West (Core Set 49)
2x A Test of Will (Core Set 50)
3x Stand and Fight (Core Set 51)
1x Fortune or Fate (Core Set 54)
3x Snowbourn Scout (Core Set 16)
1x • Brok Ironfist (Core Set 19)
2x Son of Arnor (Core Set 15)
2x • Steward of Gondor (Core Set 26)
1x • Celebrían's Stone (Core Set 27)
2x • Faramir (Core Set 14)
3x Guard of the Citadel (Core Set 13)
2x Ever Vigilant (Core Set 20)
2x Common Cause (Core Set 21)
2x For Gondor! (Core Set 22)
2x Wandering Took (Core Set 43)

Total 42

Heroes

• Gimli Core Set 4
• Thalin Core Set 6
• Glorfindel Core Set 11

Deck

3x Veteran Axehand (Core Set 28)
3x Gondorian Spearman (Core Set 29)
1x • Beorn (Core Set 31)
3x • Gandalf (Core Set 73)
2x Dwarven Axe (Core Set 41)
2x Citadel Plate (Core Set 40)
1x Swift Strike (Core Set 37)
2x Quick Strike (Core Set 35)
2x Feint (Core Set 34)
3x Blade Mastery (Core Set 32)
2x Horseback Archer (Core Set 30)
2x Rain of Arrows (Core Set 33)
2x Self Preservation (Core Set 72)
2x Forest Snare (Core Set 69)
1x Beorn's Hospitality (Core Set 68)
2x Secret Paths (Core Set 66)
2x Radagast's Cunning (Core Set 65)
3x Lore of Imladris (Core Set 63)
3x Daughter of the Nimrodel (Core Set 58)
1x Stand Together (Core Set 38)
1x • Horn of Gondor (Core Set 42)
2x Gandalf's Search (Core Set 67)
2x Miner of the Iron Hills (Core Set 61)
2x Blade of Gondolin (Core Set 39)
1x Erebor Hammersmith (Core Set 59)

Total 50

It looks like one deck is smaller than 50 cards but, given the constraints of using only the core set and that the 'introductory decks' are 30 cards, I don't think this is a huge issue.

My write-up after finally beating it is here: Item for Geeklist "Solitaire Games on Your Table - July 2016"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob s
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the reprint madness, I finally got my hands on the three missing packs that I needed in the Dwarrowdelf cycle (Redhorn Gate, Foundations of Stone, and Shadow and Flame). I'm half tempted to pick up Over Hill and Under Hill so that I can go dwarf crazy, but am still trying to avoid the urge of overbuying. I have two cores, dwarrowdelf, and the ringmaker cycles and haven't really played through those. Tried Flight From Moria last night and am still picking my teeth up off of the floor.

I'll play through Dwarrowdelf and see how I feel after that. This game really is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan Martin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way things go out of print for months at a time kind of prevents overbuying, doesn't it? Enforced non-buying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Sounds like lots of fun. I've been in the process of moving (and will be for a while) so I'll have to live vicariously through everyone here. I love hero Beorn from Over Hill and Under Hill -- very thematic. But yeah, if you're just pacing yourself, then no rush, though I don't know how often these all go out of print. I know that's been frustrating for many.

Any luck with Dol Guldur, Amy? Eowyn's a great quester if still short on willpower. And when playing two-handed, if both hands discard a card, that's 6 willpower she'll generate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Pearson
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lady Mondegreen wrote:
The way things go out of print for months at a time kind of prevents overbuying, doesn't it? Enforced non-buying.

My wallet would disagree with that, as I now own all but 2 expansions and 3 adventure packs (and a bunch of nightmare stuff, but I'm not interested in those), and yet I'm still struggling with the third quest of the core set.

Had a really, really strong case of FOMO when the reprints hit, and ended up buying everything, even though I'm nowhere close to needing it yet. (Ouch)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Pearson
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JYoder wrote:

Sounds like lots of fun. I've been in the process of moving (and will be for a while) so I'll have to live vicariously through everyone here. I love hero Beorn from Over Hill and Under Hill -- very thematic. But yeah, if you're just pacing yourself, then no rush, though I don't know how often these all go out of print. I know that's been frustrating for many.

Any luck with Dol Guldur, Amy? Eowyn's a great quester if still short on willpower. And when playing two-handed, if both hands discard a card, that's 6 willpower she'll generate.

Not yet, but someone from the Facebook group lives here in town, and we're meeting up this Friday to give it a shot 2-handed. Maybe I can get some pointers about how to build a better deck, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob s
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lady Mondegreen wrote:

Well, a lot of the sagas are in stock right now. I could easily pick up Over Hill and Under Hill, On the DoorStep, and the Black Riders...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan Martin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flutegirl wrote:
Lady Mondegreen wrote:

My wallet would disagree with that, as I now own all but 2 expansions and 3 adventure packs (and a bunch of nightmare stuff, but I'm not interested in those), and yet I'm still struggling with the third quest of the core set.

Had a really, really strong case of FOMO when the reprints hit, and ended up buying everything, even though I'm nowhere close to needing it yet. (Ouch)

I did the same when I first got the game almost five years ago. I stopped buying with the Grey Havens, but at long last, I am almost there. We'll see if I can keep from buying more.

But what I'm saying is, the cards don't care how long it takes for you to get through them. No hurry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob s
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
General question: In your opinion, does reading the books increase your enjoyment of playing this game?

I've wondered about this question off and on due to the fact that I don't really know who some of the characters are and where some of the scenarios are based. I love the RingMaker cycle (what I've played of it), but I honestly can't place any of that in the LOTR films. However, I noticed tonight that I have been very engaged in the Dwarrowdelf cycle obviously because it is very clearly aligned with the Fellowship of the Ring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I've enjoyed it on 2 levels. One is from having read the novels before the game came out. I found I loved Middle Earth, so playing it put me in the world.

But then after I had a large card pool and was familiar with the cards, I read LotR again, and it made me smile time and again because I hadn't realized how many of the card names are pulled directly from the text, which I really enjoyed. For example, I'm now reading The Hobbit to my son, and I'm having those same moments. Up above, I comment on "A Very Good Tale," and if you look on ringsdb, you can read my recent review of "Expecting Mischief" where I recall a similar moment.

So for me, yes, as I also now recognize secondary characters too in the cards that I hadn't really thought about in the books when I first read them years ago. But that's just me, as I love words, so it makes me enjoy it more on that level (and some geography) but I'm sure it won't mean the same to everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Pearson
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, on the third attempt, a friend and I were finally able to beat Dol Guldur - in large part to him using the Eowyn hero who, once per game, can add +9 to her attack... and taking out the Nazgul in one shot.

Personally, I'm counting that as a win and moving on, because if I try to stay there and win it on my own, I'll probably get sick of the game.

In other news, we then gave Murder at the Prancing Pony a shot. I was amazed at how different that quest felt. I think I'm going to have quite a bit of fun figuring out that one, especially trying to balance the ticking time-bomb that is the threat tracker in that quest with not moving so quickly that you can't investigate enough to make a solid accusation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan Martin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RandT wrote:
General question: In your opinion, does reading the books increase your enjoyment of playing this game?

I've wondered about this question off and on due to the fact that I don't really know who some of the characters are and where some of the scenarios are based. I love the RingMaker cycle (what I've played of it), but I honestly can't place any of that in the LOTR films. However, I noticed tonight that I have been very engaged in the Dwarrowdelf cycle obviously because it is very clearly aligned with the Fellowship of the Ring.

Absolutely yes. The game is based on the books, not the films. I love the fact that the hunt for Gollum is straight from the Appendix of the book, that’s how deep they have dug. I love that they clearly love the book as much as I do.

And really, reading the book increases the enjoyment of my life!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuhns, party of four!
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lady Mondegreen wrote:
RandT wrote:

Absolutely yes. The game is based on the books, not the films. I love the fact that the hunt for Gollum is straight from the Appendix of the book, that’s how deep they have dug. I love that they clearly love the book as much as I do.

And really, reading the book increases the enjoyment of my life!

Yes! I'm at 20+ readings/listenings to Hobbit/LOTR.

Although I will say it is really difficult to make a truly thematic deck for the Saga expansions. As in, I have to add a bunch of allies that I "theorize" "might" have been in the vicinity of the Fellowship. So far, I'm able to fudge it a little, but I wish I didn't have to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob s
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davekuhns wrote:

Although I will say it is really difficult to make a truly thematic deck for the Saga expansions. As in, I have to add a bunch of allies that I "theorize" "might" have been in the vicinity of the Fellowship. So far, I'm able to fudge it a little, but I wish I didn't have to.

I love that you say "listenings". After seeing the posts here, I am next on the wait list to get the audiobook from the Nashville Public Library electronically and am around 10th on the waitlist for Fellowship of the Ring. I rushed through The Hobbit a long time ago, but I wasn't in the same place (maturity-wise) that I am now. Excited to re-consume these from a much more mature place.

Thanks for the great input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuhns, party of four!
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gotten the audiobooks for Silmarillion, Hobbit, and LOTR over several Christmases and I love listening to them on my commute. I've interspersed Narnia, Wingfeather Saga, and now Harry Potter, but I only have books 1-3 of that and will probably dive back in to the Hobbit as soon as Prisoner of Azkaban is done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Congrats, Amy! It really is too bad that Dol Guldur is in the core. And yes, Murder at the Prancing Pony is fun and clever!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuhns, party of four!
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This morning I beat The Ring Goes South and Journey in the Dark in The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – The Road Darkens Saga Expansion. I play on Easy. Here's my report and decklist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
finally picked up some packs i was missing and started toying around with my Rohan builds again

Eomer (Leadership), Eowyn (Tactics), and Theoden (Spirit) are a great combo

the only Lore Rohan cards in the whole game are Grima and Gleowine, so i have access to pretty much everything.

Gamling has been replaced by Guthwine

Elfhelm (Spirit) has been replaced by multiple copies of Elfhelm (Tactics)

and Deorwine really appreciates being able to use his ability

this is my first pass at it, but i'm still retooling things
https://www.ringsdb.com/deck/view/146219
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan Martin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RandT wrote:
davekuhns wrote:

I love that you say "listenings". After seeing the posts here, I am next on the wait list to get the audiobook from the Nashville Public Library electronically and am around 10th on the waitlist for Fellowship of the Ring. I rushed through The Hobbit a long time ago, but I wasn't in the same place (maturity-wise) that I am now. Excited to re-consume these from a much more mature place.

Thanks for the great input.

I just listened to a "rant" this weekend that reading silently to oneself is a very modern phenomenon. For centuries, reading was done out loud to others, and so an audiobook absolutely counts as reading. This was specifically about reading LOTR as well. The one by Rob Inglis (which might be the only one out there) is first-rate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan Martin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played The Battle of Carn Dum a couple of times this weekend, and as I suspected, the pair of decks that have carried me thus far in the cycle will not make it through this one. I'm going to have to retool/rebuild. With an official difficulty of 8, I knew this one would be a fight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

davekuhns wrote:
This morning I beat The Ring Goes South and Journey in the Dark in The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – The Road Darkens Saga Expansion. I play on Easy. Here's my report and decklist.
Nice report and nice geeklist in general!

Lady Mondegreen wrote:
I played The Battle of Carn Dum a couple of times this weekend, and as I suspected, the pair of decks that have carried me thus far in the cycle will not make it through this one. I'm going to have to retool/rebuild. With an official difficulty of 8, I knew this one would be a fight!
That is such a nasty quest. I built a deck centered around one particular player card to deal with that horrific encounter. It's a mean one... but have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan Martin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carn Dum's reputation precedes it.

I always play quests blind the first time. Since I haven't even seen the second quest card yet, it'll be interesting to see how well any decks I build will do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Pearson
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved on to search for Gollum tonight, and played through it 2.5 times.

The first (half) attempt, I managed to get myself confused and missed some of the instructions on a round or two, so I reset.

The second time, things went rather well... Almost too well, I think, because I managed to have a good amount of questing power, and lucky draws with regard to treachery cards that had very little effect given the current state of cards. So, so different playing single-handed (and not against Dol Guldur) that even when I double-checked that I wasn't missing things, I'm still not 100% sure I didn't inadvertently cheat for that win.

So decided to reset again, but after about 6 rounds, and a really, really unlucky timing of the enemy that has +2 threat for each clue in play (3...), I ended up with too many locations, and no way to clear them.

Definitely going to have to reset my mind after so many tries at Dol Guldur, and figure out some method to remind myself of the various rules of the current quest card so I don't continue to inadvertently cheat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lady Mondegreen wrote:
I just listened to a "rant" this weekend that reading silently to oneself is a very modern phenomenon. For centuries, reading was done out loud to others, and so an audiobook absolutely counts as reading. This was specifically about reading LOTR as well. The one by Rob Inglis (which might be the only one out there) is first-rate.

Modern phenomenon or not, it's not reading. In the same way as reading a play script isn't the same thing as watching a play, it's a different experience. It's not more or less valid, one isn't better or worse than the other, it's just different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  16 , 17 , 18 , 19 , 20  Next »  [20] |