1 Player guild» Forums » General

Subject: LotR LCG: What are you playing? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It's been ages, but I finally got a chance to squeeze in a game. I didn't want to take much time creating the encounter deck, so I picked a stand-alone scenario, and went with Murder at the Prancing Pony, which Amy had reminded me about it.

I lost pretty handily, not even getting to the 2nd stage as I got location lock, which my 2 decks aren't designed for. Still, it was fun, and it's got my wheels turning for how to deal with it next time, which may involved replacing one deck with an entirely different one.

Clever quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Pearson
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I put in 1-1/2 more plays last night, trying to see if my win on Hunt for Gollum was due to luck or me messing up the rules. I'm starting to believe it was a little bit of both!

In the first game, no clues came out until about the bottom 25% of the encounter deck, at which point my threat was already up over 40, and there were so many locations in the staging area that I had no hope of clearing them - even with Eowyn having 2 cards for +1 will on her. Two of the locations had threat equal to the number of allies out, and I couldn't seem to find my Northern Trackers.

I reset and tried again, but realized a couple rounds in that I just wasn't feeling the second game, so threw in the towel.

So then I took some time to read the FAQs and discovered that I've been playing Legolas's power incorrectly. At least that hasn't been the reason I've won scenarios, so I don't feel like I have to go back and try to redo them "properly".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan Martin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's always good to learn when it's hard that you've been making it hard on yourself.

Much better than when it's hard and you learn you've been making it easy on yourself. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuhns, party of four!
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
You need movie Legolas!

Legolas' attack is X, where X=whatever it takes to destroy the enemy.

Special ability: Whenever Legolas destroys an enemy, ready Legolas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Pearson
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davekuhns wrote:
You need movie Legolas!

Legolas' attack is X, where X=whatever it takes to destroy the enemy.

Special ability: Whenever Legolas destroys an enemy, ready Legolas.

Love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miah
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It really warms my heart to see this thread still alive and thriving after I've been away for so long. LOTR:LCG will always be special to me, because it was my first solo game and really the game that got me into modern boardgaming. I had bought Catan and Carcassonne before that to play with my family, but they were just occasional family diversions, not a hobby. It was completely by chance that I heard about LOTR:LCG one day and discovered that not only was solo gaming a thing now, but that one of the greatest solo games was based on my favorite books and was a living community with its own fandom.

I did some more reading about the game (because I'm a nerd and I ALWAYS research my purchases) and came across the BGG forum for it, full of reviews of the APs and questions and answer about gameplay. That was my introduction to BGG. I still didn't register on BGG and didn't look at other games much, because I already knew that LOTR:LCG was going to be my jam.

Bought the game and immediately fell in love. My wife made fun of me so much at first, sitting up for hours reading rules and looking at cards, learning what they did and gazing at the art - especially Magali's portraits, which I still think are some of the greatest fantasy art ever. (To be honest, my wife still makes fun of me whenever I geek out on a game.)

Of course it also brought me into contact with 1PG, which I think had just over a thousand members then. Pretty powerful for a little card game.

For a long time, LOTR:LCG was the only game I played. I got through Mirkwood and the Dwarrowdelf, Numenor and part of the Ringmaker Cycles, as well as the Black Riders, before I really stopped playing LOTR for the most part. By then I was playing a lot of other games and posting a lot in 1PG, and I didn't have much time for it. Next time I checked, the game had been discontinued and was getting hard to find in FLGSes. With FFG's spotty record of reprinting, I figured that was the end of the game and its community.

It's great to see that is not the case. You guys are really giving me the urge to crack open that big box and dive into Middle-Earth again. I think I will get on that tomorrow I'll probably start over from the core quests. I may try and build a Sylvan deck, as they were just coming together as a viable faction when I stopped playing.

I might have to cheat a little on thematic purity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Welcome back to the game! It's definitely a "forever" one for me, and I enjoy having this thread to geek out on. And I sooo agree about Magali's art.

If curious, here's the latest Silvan hero just released, who was done by our favorite artist. I've not used him yet, but looking forward to it...

Still, I think Tactics Eowyn will always remain my favorite of hers...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miah
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for providing a new wallpaper for my phone. Another stunning piece from Magali.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuhns, party of four!
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome back Miah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan Martin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can see her muttering to herself: "Stay home with the women and children, he says. We need you back here, he says. We'll see about that!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

A couple of great Lore cards I'm really enjoying in the latest Mount Gundabad exp, and I love the artwork on both...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just getting back into it and realized that there's been 4 cycles since I last bought anything for the game. Looking for the latest one it seems already to be OOP at the moment, and the Grey Havens which I really want to get seems to be missing a ton of cycle packs. Lost Realm looks great as well, and nowi kick myself for not keeping up.

Wish I could find those missing cycles. In the meantime I bought thr entire Harad cycle and will see how that goes. Fingers cross that the rest will come back into print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan Martin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They just announced a new cycle, so the game is not going anywhere. The later cycles were just reprinted last fall, I think, so they're back in the queue, but towards the front.

I'm in the same boat (so to speak). I decided I would stop with the Grey Havens box, but now I'm almost there, and I have to decide if I'm going on. At the time, I figured once they left the land, they were out of ideas. I guess not!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
mbmbmbmbmb
Lady Mondegreen wrote:
They just announced a new cycle, so the game is not going anywhere. The later cycles were just reprinted last fall, I think, so they're back in the queue, but towards the front.

I'm in the same boat (so to speak). I decided I would stop with the Grey Havens box, but now I'm almost there, and I have to decide if I'm going on. At the time, I figured once they left the land, they were out of ideas. I guess not!

Good to know. I ended up finding Grey Havens and the Lost Realm core boxes, so I'll keep a lookout for those adventure packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuhns, party of four!
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eastwoodk wrote:
Lady Mondegreen wrote:

Good to know. I ended up finding Grey Havens and the Lost Realm core boxes, so I'll keep a lookout for those adventure packs.

I've got everything through the Lost Realm, picked up Harad and Rhovanion, but Grey Havens wasn't available. None of the APs for those of course. I've only played through the Mirkwood cycle though whistle I'm working my way through the Sagas, but have to say I'm overwhelmed and really don't want more new stuff, just new quests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
mbmbmbmbmb
davekuhns wrote:
eastwoodk wrote:
Lady Mondegreen wrote:

I've got everything through the Lost Realm, picked up Harad and Rhovanion, but Grey Havens wasn't available. None of the APs for those of course. I've only played through the Mirkwood cycle though whistle I'm working my way through the Sagas, but have to say I'm overwhelmed and really don't want more new stuff, just new quests.

I felt the same way. Eventually I felt good with a set of cards and went on autopilot. Then later I needed to change it up and was frustrated because I couldn't get through certain quests. Then I realized the deck construction is about exploring ideas and solving a puzzle. I know I'm going to fail but that's part of the fun. Now I'm rebuilding the decks with cards only from the current / previous cycle and its keeping me focused.

So much game in these cards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I have had the basic Core Set for a few months now and while I really enjoy this game conceptually, it doesn't make it to the table much and I am trying to decide if I should keep it or sell it. Of course, buying more expansions will increase replayability and customization, but I am curious if this game gets more enjoyable because you start to get more control over how you want your deck to play, or because thematically the game goes in very interesting directions (if that makes sense).

TLDR: Basically looking for input as to how much buying more game adds to overall satisfaction/enjoyment. Has anyone been lukewarm about the game, but stuck with it and found that after a few expansions their enjoyment increased?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

x11a wrote:
TLDR: Basically looking for input as to how much buying more game adds to overall satisfaction/enjoyment. Has anyone been lukewarm about the game, but stuck with it and found that after a few expansions their enjoyment increased?
I was lukewarm initially, both from lack of cards and quest variety, and because I was only playing one-handed. But once I got more cards and did two-handed, I loved it. However, YMMV, so I'm not gonna promise it'll be that way for you. But I also love LotR, so if you don't, that'd be a strike against it for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
x11a wrote:
I have had the basic Core Set for a few months now and while I really enjoy this game conceptually, it doesn't make it to the table much and I am trying to decide if I should keep it or sell it. Of course, buying more expansions will increase replayability and customization, but I am curious if this game gets more enjoyable because you start to get more control over how you want your deck to play, or because thematically the game goes in very interesting directions (if that makes sense).

It's my favourite game but I'd never suggest someone should spend more money on something in the hope that they might enjoy it more. If you don't want to play it, cut your losses and move it on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input. I decided to pick up a used copy of AH LCG. If I like that, maybe it gets me into deck construction and I can come back to LOTR later. If not, maybe deck construction is just not my thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I wanted to try some newer cards I hadn't tried yet...

So I created this team...

Only Sam and Merry had been used in the past year, so it was fun to revisit heroes I've not used in a long time. With Denethor armored up (including Burning Brand to cancel shadow effects) he keeps enemies with Outmatched at bay, which enhances these allies and weapon...

With Elfhlem, I added various Mounts to augment heroes and enable other tricks...

Once Aragorn is loaded with Mounts and weapons, he's ready to rock. (I've been so used to using Damrod with trap-centric decks, that it was nice to not use him in a deck with only 3 traps.)

I took these decks against the latest quest, Mount Gundabad, where you fight a dragon. Didn't know what to expect and lost, but swapped in a handful of cards to deal with various aspects, and won the 2nd time. Very fun quest, with random quest cards popping up, so you're never quite sure what to expect, as each new quest card is only revealed at the start of the quest phase.

I've other decks to try, but I'll stick with these for a while and revisit past quests, as seeing Lore Denethor with 5 life, 9-10 defense, Sentinel, and shadow cancellation is a beautiful thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Just recently got to try the lastest exp with Radagast and his staff, by summoning a pile of creatures (mainly eagles) which was quite fun and gratifying. Great to have another hero to use "Istari" cards.

Anyone else tried him yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
mbmbmbmbmb
JYoder wrote:

Just recently got to try the lastest exp with Radagast and his staff, by summoning a pile of creatures (mainly eagles) which was quite fun and gratifying. Great to have another hero to use "Istari" cards.

No I'm waiting for the reprint of the big box expansion but I have the packs for that cycle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Bear
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Talof Harjo
badge
Talof Harjo
mbmbmbmbmb
JYoder wrote:

Which Expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

crazybear wrote:
JYoder wrote:

Which Expansion?
The Fate of Wilderland

I was able to try him with the quest he came with (had lots of enemies) and had him pack lots of eagles and other creatures. Very fun! The other hand had hero Gandalf, so had 2 Istari always in play, which was great.

However, I had used "A Burning Brand" on Radagast, which recently got nerfed pretty hard, so I should re-think my decks and try it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  16 , 17 , 18 , 19 , 20  Next »  [20] |