Popular Tags: [View All]
Georg Bauer
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jokemeister wrote:
I used to play Magic but got really annoyed it after a while. LOTR LCG fixed many of the issues I had with Magic AND allowed me to play on my own.

Was the same motivation for me to go into LOTR:LCG. I love building decks and being able to actually play them is great. Most time for me is actually spent on the building part, my logged plays are fare less than my non-logged deck construction hours
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

the bilge rat wrote:
Lastly, I try to avoid reading up on what other people are doing. I want to explore the game myself and make all my own mistakes.
I'm the same way. As I read posts, I inadvertently pick up on things, but I never look at published decks on ringsdb.com -- experimentation and trial and error are half the fun for me.

Beat quest 6 last night (the last one in The Road Darkens) and now Aragorn and Pippin have been captured to setup the first quest for The Treason of Saruman. This game is just so cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuhns, party of four!
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone come up with a "fix" for Ranged/Sentinel when playing one handed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And... the postman just knocked on my door and asked me to sign for a package.

I'm now the proud owner of two sets of FFG art sleeves - one Gimli and one Ring. My plan is to use one to house my Dwarf deck and the other to keep a second deck (I'm keen to explore Rohan and Dunedain).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
the bilge rat wrote:
I purchased the Core Set in late January this year. I have just gone past 100 plays and still think there is much to explore in that box.
I agree I got 40 or 45 out of it before moving on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sheppard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davekuhns wrote:
Has anyone come up with a "fix" for Ranged/Sentinel when playing one handed?

Ranged is still useful in some quests for bats etc which can only be attacked by characters with the ranged keyword.
(Assuming one doesn't have Eagles)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Now that I've reached the 3rd saga exp with my chars in the OP, turns out I cannot use Tactics Aragorn because there's now a Fellowship Aragorn I have to use. Didn't remember that would happen. Since some of my deck building caters to him, I'll have to switch it up.

I've decided to swap in Gimli. Been a long time since I used him. I'll try to throw hit points on him to maximize his ability. And if I can throw a Rohan Warhorse on him, even better. I couldn't use him yet as he and Pippin were prisoners in the 1st quest, but now that I saved them, I earned a boon choice, so I'll put Intimidation on Gimli, which puts -2 Shields on an enemy if he attacks alone. We'll see how it goes.

So far I've lost Mirlonde and Tactics Aragorn. Oh, the humanity! Still, it doesn't seem to bother Gimli, with that smug grin...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuhns, party of four!
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hung up on coming up with a thematic/canonical deck(s) for The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – The Battle of Lake-town. I want Bard in the deck, and I intend to make my own easy mode by possibly just ignoring Smaug's "Immune to Player Card Effects" effect. Or maybe just ignoring that for Bard, and using the usual extra resource boost for "Easy Mode". I've read: https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/07/11/surviving... but he has a very non-canonical deck. I did appreciate the advice though. Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sheppard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davekuhns wrote:
I'm hung up on coming up with a thematic/canonical deck(s) for The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – The Battle of Lake-town. I want Bard in the deck, and I intend to make my own easy mode by possibly just ignoring Smaug's "Immune to Player Card Effects" effect. Or maybe just ignoring that for Bard, and using the usual extra resource boost for "Easy Mode". I've read: https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/07/11/surviving... but he has a very non-canonical deck. I did appreciate the advice though. Thoughts?

Have you tried removing the "tough" cards with the gold circle around the quest logo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chibipaul wrote:
davekuhns wrote:

Have you tried removing the "tough" cards with the gold circle around the quest logo?

Erm, it's Battle of Lake-town, there's no official easy mode for that quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sheppard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
supermaxv wrote:

Oh right. Not having played it, I was unaware of the lack of an official "easy mode".
My bad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuhns, party of four!
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
supermaxv wrote:
chibipaul wrote:
davekuhns wrote:

Yep, that's why I was trying to do my own Easy Mode. This one is very daunting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

davekuhns wrote:
You wouldn't want to ignore Smaug's "Immune" ability in general, or you could keep using Feint to ignore his attack and retrieve the card with Hama, so the quest would be too easy. But selectively ignoring "Immune" (for Bard, as you said) is more feasible and thematic.

If you are OK with 2 decks, I could post the 2 I used to beat it (after updating with newer cards) but probably not as thematic as you'd like. Deck 1 has Beregond, Gimli (maybe switch him for Bard?), and Hama, and deck 2 has Eleanor, Eowyn, and Frodo. Since you want thematic decks, what heroes are you thinking other than Bard?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sheppard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davekuhns wrote:

Yep, that's why I was trying to do my own Easy Mode. This one is very daunting!

Sorry for asking the obvious, even though I do have BoLT I was unaware that there is no easy mode for it.

I have found the Hobbit Saga Expansions really tough in general, and decided to leave them be for a while. Hopefully with more experience and some newer cards Bilbo and the Dwarves will get their revenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuhns, party of four!
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JYoder wrote:

davekuhns wrote:
You wouldn't want to ignore Smaug's "Immune" ability in general, or you could keep using Feint to ignore his attack and retrieve the card with Hama, so the quest would be too easy. But selectively ignoring "Immune" (for Bard, as you said) is more feasible and thematic.

If you are OK with 2 decks, I could post the 2 I used to beat it (after updating with newer cards) but probably not as thematic as you'd like. Deck 1 has Beregond, Gimli (maybe switch him for Bard?), and Hama, and deck 2 has Eleanor, Eowyn, and Frodo. Since you want thematic decks, what heroes are you thinking other than Bard?

Thematically I think I can be comfortable with minor characters like Beregond or especially FFG characters like Eleanor etc. I can rationalize a guy named Beregond being there at Lake Town (the canonical Beregond wouldn't even have been born yet) and making similar substitutions for others. It's a little trickier for elves, but for some of the lesser known ones you can just make believe it's another elf named Haldir or something. Maybe the Silvans don't have as strict a one name use policy as the Noldor. Though I can't remember the name, there is one instance of 2 Noldor with the same name IIRC.

But having any hobbit there, or even a dwarf (wouldn't a dwarf have joined up with Thorin? Maybe he came later?) seems to go against the story. Eagles, and ents being there are also pretty theme breaking for me.

So, lots of human allies would fit. No horses though! So the Rohirrim could be used, but I'll just have to ignore the horse he or she is on. The newer packs have more FFG heroes/allies and so that would do well since they're more generic and could just be "anywhere" in the legendarium at any given time. It always frustrated me with this game that they gave you such athematic characters from the Core set on.

Oh and I would use Gandalfs though. It's his spirit/encouragement at work
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

If you only want humans, I'm guessing you'd do well with 1 or 2 Outlands decks. They can be very powerful, as their abilities compound with other Outlands chars. So maybe in one deck have Bard, Beregond, and Hirluin? Otherwise, a Gondor-centric deck or two could thematically work as they are all humans too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuhns, party of four!
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JYoder wrote:

If you only want humans, I'm guessing you'd do well with 1 or 2 Outlands decks. They can be very powerful, as their abilities compound with other Outlands chars. So maybe in one deck have Bard, Beregond, and Hirluin? Otherwise, a Gondor-centric deck or two could thematically work as they are all humans too.

That's what I've heard/read. I haven't done the Heirs of Numenor expansion yet (or Khazad Dum whistle). I'm kind of stuck on this one! I was thinking it would make sense to do 2 decks for this one so that I can have 1 deck that is awesome for questing and one that can lay a lot of damage on Smaug all at once (which is needed at the end). There ought to be enough human (and some elf) characters for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herodotus Halicarnassus
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davekuhns wrote:
JYoder wrote:

That's what I've heard/read. I haven't done the Heirs of Numenor expansion yet (or Khazad Dum whistle). I'm kind of stuck on this one! I was thinking it would make sense to do 2 decks for this one so that I can have 1 deck that is awesome for questing and one that can lay a lot of damage on Smaug all at once (which is needed at the end). There ought to be enough human (and some elf) characters for that.

Khazad-Dum is going to feel like a breeze after beating Smaug.

Actually I think pretty much everything will feel that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wagner
United States
Point of Rocks
Maryland
flag msg tools
I picked this up about two weeks ago so I'm starting from scratch and just started working through the Mirkwood cycle. I'm kind of cheating right now by using Beorn's path as a walk through to help me deck build and figure out how things kind of work together.

After that I'll probably build decks with what I have and try different things out. Love this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Tokeydog wrote:
I picked this up about two weeks ago so I'm starting from scratch and just started working through the Mirkwood cycle. I'm kind of cheating right now by using Beorn's path as a walk through to help me deck build and figure out how things kind of work together.

After that I'll probably build decks with what I have and try different things out. Love this game.
Welcome to the game! It's a huge staple for me. Enjoy the journey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Dave, your post about thematic human-centric decks to fight Smaug got me doodling on ringsdb.com, so I came up with a couple of decks. One is mainly Outlands and the other Gondor. Feel free to use, ignore, or tweak by importing them into ringsdb and eyeing them.

Deck 1: Bard, Beravor, Hirluin
Deck 2: Beregond, Boromir (leadership), Denethor (leadership)

The idea is to get lots of defense on Beregond, who is Sentinel. With this deck, he could theoretically have 12 defense. (13 with event boost and even 3 more if had Protector of Lorien.) Denethor can maybe block too as it sounds like you should use chump blockers sparingly, or you can unexhaust Beregond with certain tricks if needed. With Denethor starting with 3 resources (on normal mode) you should be able to get a Gondor army out quickly.

With the Outlands deck, you can heal and generate card draw for the Gondor deck via Beravor. Sneak Attack Gandalf for it's own card draw or lower threat. Both decks give ways to cancel damage. With Bard in deck separate from Beregond, he can use his Ranged ability (if, as you said, you ignore Immune) when joining a Gondor attack. Each deck also has 1 copy of Black Arrow, which makes it thematic. Test of Will and Song of Travel cards are also in Outlands deck to cancel nasty Reveals. Both decks should quest pretty well with the right cards.

However, I don't remember the Smaug quest too well, nor have I tried these decks, so maybe there are some glaring holes...

Deck 1...

Hero (3)
Bard the Bowman (On the Doorstep)
Beravor (Core Set)
Hirluin the Fair (The Steward's Fear)

Ally (20)
3x Anfalas Herdsman (The Steward's Fear)
3x Ethir Swordsman (The Steward's Fear)
3x Gandalf (Core Set)
3x Knights of the Swan (The Steward's Fear)
2x Snowbourn Scout (Core Set)
1x Warden of Healing (The Long Dark)
3x Warrior of Lossarnach (The Steward's Fear)
2x Westfold Outrider (The Voice of Isengard)

Attachment (13)
1x Black Arrow (On the Doorstep)
3x Dagger of Westernesse (The Black Riders)
2x Healing Herbs (Foundations of Stone)
2x Protector of Lórien (Core Set)
2x Self Preservation (Core Set)
3x Song of Travel (The Hills of Emyn Muil)

Event (17)
3x A Test of Will (Core Set)
2x Close Call (The Dunland Trap)
3x Daeron's Runes (Foundations of Stone)
2x Hold Your Ground! (The Battle of Carn Dûm)
2x Men of the West (Assault on Osgiliath)
3x Sneak Attack (Core Set)
2x Stand Together (Core Set)

Deck 2...

Hero (3)
Beregond (Heirs of Númenor)
Boromir (Heirs of Númenor)
Denethor (Flight of the Stormcaller)

Ally (25)
3x Citadel Custodian (Heirs of Númenor)
1x Defender of Rammas (Heirs of Númenor)
3x Envoy of Pelargir (Heirs of Númenor)
3x Errand-rider (Heirs of Númenor)
2x Faramir (Core Set)
3x Guard of the Citadel (Core Set)
3x Honour Guard (The Wastes of Eriador)
2x Pelargir Ship Captain (The Morgul Vale)
3x Squire of the Citadel (The Blood of Gondor)
2x Veteran of Osgiliath (Escape from Mount Gram)

Attachment (15)
1x Black Arrow (On the Doorstep)
1x Captain of Gondor (The Antlered Crown)
3x Dúnedain Warning (Conflict at the Carrock)
3x Gondorian Shield (The Steward's Fear)
2x Raven-winged Helm (The Wastes of Eriador)
3x Steward of Gondor (Core Set)
2x Visionary Leadership (The Morgul Vale)

Event (10)
3x A Very Good Tale (Over Hill and Under Hill)
3x Behind Strong Walls (Heirs of Númenor)
2x For Gondor! (Core Set)
2x Gondorian Discipline (Encounter at Amon Dîn)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Whoops. I edited the 2nd deck above as I noticed I had 3 Sneak Attacks and 3 Gandalfs in both decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuhns, party of four!
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow Jeremy! That's fantastic. I can't wait to try it out.

Does that pair of decks have good questing ability as well? The Encounter deck is half locations and have treacheries. There is a separate Smaug deck. So, questing through the locations and the quests is crucial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

With Gondor, you get some high questing in with Faramir and/or Visionary Leadership. As for the Outland deck, the more Ethir Swordsman you get out, the better. (And can use Gandalf if needed.)

However, neither deck has a way to put progress on locations in the staging area. If you need that, include 3x The Evening Star, which is a new favorite of mine. Do you ever engage Smaug? If so, you could include Expert Trackers.

Otherwise, there are 2 newer cards I've not yet tried: Mirkwood Explorer and Explorer's Almanac. They might work, or they might not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Naomi Ooooooooo

Alaska
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beginner beginner beginner... working on "Leadership" core deck and "Passage Through Mirkwood Scenario." Just got the box... Goodbye for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [20] |