1 Player guild» Forums » General

Subject: LotR LCG: What are you playing? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Btw, I just got 3 latest exps in mail (10 min ago) and saw new hero Lanwyn. She would work very thematically for Smaug at Laketown, and has Ranged. If you find you don't need/want healing and card draws, and it's more important to cancel Reveals, you could replace Beravor with her and replace the 3 Songs with 3 Dwarven Tomb. (And all other Lore cards for Spirit.) Just a thought -- don't know which is better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Tried Helm's Deep last night, and had forgotten the cool mechanic where progress is bad, so you want to avoid it to some degree. But it didn't matter as Aragorn attempted to block an attack, but a nasty shadow effect took him out. Game over.

*hits rewinds*

Let's try that again, shall we? ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JYoder wrote:

Tried Helm's Deep last night, and had forgotten the cool mechanic where progress is bad, so you want to avoid it to some degree. But it didn't matter as Aragorn attempted to block an attack, but a nasty shadow effect took him out. Game over.

*hits rewinds*

Let's try that again, shall we? ninja
I have not played Helm's Deep, but have played other scenarios where you need to avoid progressing until you have built up for strength for the next stage because it is more intense. Is it similar to that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Current lapsee hoping to rejuvenate.

Thanks for the thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

fractaloon wrote:
I have not played Helm's Deep, but have played other scenarios where you need to avoid progressing until you have built up for strength for the next stage because it is more intense. Is it similar to that?

It's really clever, in how it mimics the Helm's Deep scene in the book/movie. Rather than try to overcome locations and quest stages, they are instead your defenses that the enemy is trying to overrun. Essentially, it works backwards -- if you quest successfully, no progress is made, but if you fail, the enemy adds progress by the difference.

It's a tricky balancing act -- you have to quest and fight well, and know when to not even try to quest and brace for battle. And though the locations tend to aid you (but hurt when explored) you can't let them build up as they still count against your questing.

All in all, a really clever and thematic design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

ThatFedoraGuy wrote:

Thanks for the thread.
Awesome! I find a lot of LotR's fun is sharing info -- wins, losses, decks, sessions, etc. Hope the thread helps, though you should have introduced yourself as, "My name is George and I am a recovering LotR lapsee."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
JYoder wrote:

ThatFedoraGuy wrote:

Thanks for the thread.
Awesome! I find a lot of game's fun is sharing info -- wins, losses, decks, sessions, etc. Hope the thread helps, though you should have introduced yourself as, "My name is George and I am a recovering LotR lapsee."

I'm going for help. I signed up for an event at Gen Con.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Haar
United States
St.Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're taking the hobbits to Isengard! Holy cow! I just got The Treason of Sarumon on a sale from Miniature Market and it is insanely hard! Granted I don't have all the cards leading up to it. I have 2 core sets, all of the Mirkwood cycle, Khazad Dum, and OHaUH. I don't have Black Riders or The Road Darkens which are the Saga expansions before it. Maybe I'm in over my head now. I only play this game solo and have not beaten the first scenario in this Saga expansion. However, I do love the difficulty of this game and will continue to tweak my deck until I beat it, (hopefully it's possible with the card pool I have.) I welcome any advice! Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I just finished that one before Helm's Deep. Also very thematic with growing progress needed on that first quest stage. And that first orc is a beast with 3 toughness. Playing with certain heroes? 1 or 2 handed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Haar
United States
St.Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing one handed with Spirit Rohan heroes to try and maximize the Rohan synergy and questing. I played with Theoden and Eowyn with Dunhere captured, but now I'm switching to a Spirit/Leadership Deck because I can't beat Ugluk with the heroes I have. I like to try and beat all of the quests one handed, but I may need to do this one two-handed since Ugluk can kill off heroes quite easily.
It is a very thematic quest. I can't wait to tackle Helm's Deep when I beat this one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Naomi Ooooooooo

Alaska
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mirkwood... just starting. I have been trying the different decks. So far Leadership was most successful. Haven't tried the Spirit deck yet.

Enjoying the play and how it really has a narrative every time. I have been playing each a few times to get to learn the cards and how the game works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuhns, party of four!
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Still looking at The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – The Battle of Lake-town. Jeremy I think your decks needed more questing and so I started looking through my cards and got overwhelmed by my disorganization! So, I organized.

That's all the Ring cards through the Lost Realm/Angmar Awakened cycle and all the saga expansions available. I put the Encounter decks in the deluxe expansion boxes. Sorts them nicely that way and I get to keep those cool boxes.

The detritus

Ready to deck build!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

kjh092 wrote:
I can't wait to tackle Helm's Deep when I beat this one!
Enjoy chasing Orcs to Isengard, as Helm's Deep is really tough. I'd forgotten how rough it is -- having to completely rework my decks.

Naomiooooo8 wrote:
Mirkwood... just starting...
Welcome to the game!

davekuhns wrote:
Still looking at The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – The Battle of Lake-town. Jeremy I think your decks needed more questing...
Do what you gotta do. Love the organizing -- you have to at some point. I see you don't sleeve, same as me. Minor tip: Because of that, I sleeve the heroes, which makes it easy to identify them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuhns, party of four!
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have other games sleeved, but they don't have this continuous card influx. I was wondering if anyone just sleeves their current deck(s) and encounter deck? Or is that too annoying to sleeve and unsleeve all the time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Naomi Ooooooooo

Alaska
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of my games go commando.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I stored my player cards in a binder & my encounter cards in the box. I sleeve my player deck, but that's it. I don't store them sleeved. I keep my current deck & encounter in a custom box for easy play. I have a separate box for my two player game with two decks & encounter cards. I keep my other decks (actually only 1) in a M:TG fat pack box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sheppard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Naomiooooo8 wrote:
Most of my games go commando.

That's brave.
Some of the quests are so scary I could use a diaper
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mbmbmb
chibipaul wrote:

That's brave.
Some of the quests are so scary I could use a diaper

Just had to quote that....because.

Anyway, I grabbed the "Back to Basics" deck, which will be the first honest to gawd "built deck" I've built since I started playing my cheating way a while back (where I can basically draw from my entire collection of cards). I tried Passage through Mirkword....it took me 4 tries to beat the thing. I found the first three games immensely frustrating. I started with an extra resource on all three heroes, but that was the only "easy" mode I went with. On the 4th play, I took out the "hard" cards (though would have a yellow ring around them in later versions) and it was much easier. I still played with shadow cards in both versions, because I like the little surprises. The little surprise on the Hammerhorns isn't much of a surprise, though, it's more diaper worthy.

Then just for the heck of it, I tried to escape from the Necromancer's tower with the same deck. I kept the hard cards out of the deck. I did manage to make it to the 3rd stage, but by then I knew there was no way I could outrun the Nazgul. I was at 46 threat or so at that point, and I never drew the "lower your threat by 6" card that I desperately needed.

I found that 99% of the time, you can show your losses as "if I had X card at that time, I totally would have won." Don't think that's a bad thing as that's the point of deck construction, but there you have it.

And yet, I may just play again today.

Because.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davekuhns wrote:
I have other games sleeved, but they don't have this continuous card influx. I was wondering if anyone just sleeves their current deck(s) and encounter deck? Or is that too annoying to sleeve and unsleeve all the time?

I used to sleeve everything but I just couldn't keep up. Now I don't sleeve the encounter cards at all, and I only sleeve the player cards I use frequently. So basically once a card gets sleeved it'll probably stay sleeved. But until a card gets used it sits in the box, cold, alone, wishing it were more useful, waiting for the day when a new card or quest will come along and suddenly make me remember that I do in fact have a card that will reduce the threat of one location in the staging area by one. On that day, and ONLY on that day will I put Power in the Earth in a sleeve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davekuhns wrote:

I sleeve my heroes and the encounter cards in transparent sleeves, then I have two packs of FFG art sleeves (mentioned in another post on this thread) to house two evolving decks. That means the cards I'm playing with are always sleeved and helps me to quickly identify the player cards I'm using.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sheppard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will be starting the Darrowdelf Cycle soon. As much as I enjoyed playing a Tactics Deck with Beorn Hero and Eagles, I'm not sure they are going to want to delve into the Mines of Moria!

Now I have some more Dwarf cards, I am tempted to play Dwarf decks, but having played Khazad-Dum already with Dwarves, am wondering whether to try something else to continue onto the APs.
Since the party is sent by the White Council there is no reason why it should be wholly a Dwarf group.

But then new cards to play with....

Oh dear! Decisions, decisions laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

toliveischrist77 wrote:
On that day, and ONLY on that day will I put Power in the Earth in a sleeve.
I laughed out loud at that, but it raises a good point -- there are cards I never use (such as that one) that sit in another box. Cuts down on volume and eases organization.

CthulhuKid wrote:
I found that 99% of the time, you can show your losses as "if I had X card at that time, I totally would have won."
When your card pool is low, it feels that way, but as it grows, your decks can be more versatile, even if you need to tweak between quests. Speaking of which...

I finally beat Helm's Deep! Man, it's a bear without taking the early banes, as I swapped out 20-25 cards in each of my 2 decks before I had a chance. Favorite moment: The very end, where to win, I have to defeat all enemies in play. There were 5 enemies, all engaged with Deck 1. Before they can attack, Haldir takes one out via his ability with 8 attack, as does Gimli via "Quick Strike" with 10 attack. I'm thinking, after the 3 remaining enemies attack, I can use the 6 resources on Fellowship Aragorn to ready Gimli 3 times and wax them all. But a shadow card lets 1 enemy return to the staging area. That's bad as next round, more enemies may come out. However, at the start of the next round, I play "Hands Upon the Bow" on Haldir to attack an enemy in the staging area...

Haldir stepped up to the parapet, drew his bow back and aimed at the orc chieftain at the far end of the battlefield, who was trying to rally his troops. Gimli scoffed, "Don't waste your arrows! We'll need them for the next--" The arrow whistled into the air, Haldir's gaze fixed upon it, as if willing its flight. A distant thunk and the orc's head snapped back. As he crumpled, the remaining orcs scattered. Haldir smirked. "You were saying, dwarf?"

So very thematic and cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JYoder wrote:

toliveischrist77 wrote:
On that day, and ONLY on that day will I put Power in the Earth in a sleeve.
I laughed out loud at that, but it raises a good point -- there are cards I never use (such as that one) that sit in another box. Cuts down on volume and eases organization.

CthulhuKid wrote:
I found that 99% of the time, you can show your losses as "if I had X card at that time, I totally would have won."
When your card pool is low, it feels that way, but as it grows, your decks can be more versatile, even if you need to tweak between quests. Speaking of which...

I finally beat Helm's Deep! Man, it's a bear without taking the early banes, as I swapped out 20-25 cards in each of my 2 decks before I had a chance. Favorite moment: The very end, where to win, I have to defeat all enemies in play. There were 5 enemies, all engaged with Deck 1. Before they can attack, Haldir takes one out via his ability with 8 attack, as does Gimli via "Quick Strike" with 10 attack. I'm thinking, after the 3 remaining enemies attack, I can use the 6 resources on Fellowship Aragorn to ready Gimli 3 times and wax them all. But a shadow card lets 1 enemy return to the staging area. That's bad as next round, more enemies may come out. However, at the start of the next round, I play "Hands Upon the Bow" on Haldir to attack an enemy in the staging area...

Haldir stepped up to the parapet, drew his bow back and aimed at the orc chieftain at the far end of the battlefield, who was trying to rally his troops. Gimli scoffed, "Don't waste your arrows! We'll need them for the next--" The arrow whistled into the air, Haldir's gaze fixed upon it, as if willing its flight. A distant thunk and the orc's head snapped back. As he crumpled, the remaining orcs scattered. Haldir smirked. "You were saying, dwarf?"

So very thematic and cool.
Nice! I love the cinematography.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuhns, party of four!
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great story Jeremy!
Thanks for all the sleeving tips y'all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll

I'm curious what people's favorite spheres are, if you have any, and feel free to say why, if you'd like.

I created 2 polls. The first lets you vote for multiples if you like more than 1 above the others. The second is if you had to pick one favorite, which would it be? For instance, I like Lore and Tactics a lot, but if I had to pick only one, I guess I'd go with Tactics as I love their allies and various combat tricks. Early in the game, that sphere didn't get much love, but over time, it's really blossomed.
1. Favorite spheres?
Leadership
Spirit
Lore
Tactics
2. Absolute favorite sphere?
Leadership
Spirit
Lore
Tactics
I just can't do it. I'm indecisive... I think... not sure.
      11 answers
Poll created by JYoder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [20] |