- Michael HallUnited States
Here are my House Rules for the Base Game:
Feel free to use any/all of these variants to add variety or balance to the base game.
National Action Tokens
(This was created by MrWeasely and I have adopted it with the only change being reducing the Politics die roll effectiveness from 4-6 to 5-6. This is due to my inclusion of Elrond below).
Immediately upon activation of a free Nation, and at the start of every turn thereafter, the Free player obtains the National Action Token for that nation (Dwarves, North, Rohan, Gondor). The Elves, S&E, Isengard, and Sauron start Active and in possession of the controlling player.
A National Action Token can be spent much like a FP action die, but only when that player would otherwise be able to Pass. Like the action tokens in the op-games, National Action Tokens are not as strong as action dice. National Action Tokens may be spent to take the following types of actions:
· Politics - Roll a die: on a 5 or 6, you may move the nation one step down the political track.
· Move - Move an army with units or leaders of that nation.
· Event - Play an event card 'concerning' that nation (how to tell if a card 'concerns' a nation? Check the FAQ, and if its playable only by one nation in the 4-player game, then it 'concerns' that nation: http://home.rixtele.com/%7Echarmtroll/wotr/faq.htm#multi. The only semi-suprising one is: Boromir's House of the Stewards doesn't concern Gondor)
These actions can only be used once the Nation is At War.
· Muster - Muster a regular or leader of that nation.
· Counter Attack - Attack a region or stronghold within the borders of the nation.
National Action Tokens are not action dice, therefore they may not be the target of an elven ring, and may not utilize companion special abilities requiring dice (e.g. Prince of Mirkwood, Strider's guide ability).
Grima, the Wormtongue
(use a Marker in Edoras to represent Grima)
· Movement 0, Leadership 0
· Add 1 Die to the Shadow Action Pool.
· If Isengard is not at War, SP may use a Muster die to place Grima in Edoras.
· Theoden's Counselor - The Rohan National Action Token may not be used and it costs the FP 1 Army/Muster die to advance Rohan on the Political Track (instead of just a Muster die).
· If Helm's Deep or Edoras is attacked, Rohan goes to War, OR Gandalf the White moves to Edoras then Eliminate Grima from the game.
· When Grima leaves the game, move Rohan to War, Muster a Rohan unit (Regular or Elite) in any Free Rohan settlement.
Grima is not considered a Minion for the purpose of playing Gandalf the White. While Saruman is in play, Grima does not add 1 die to the Shadow Action Pool.
Elrond, Lord of Rivendell
(Use a figure to represent Elrond in Rivendell)
· Movement 0, Leadership 2
· If Saruman is in play and neither Gandalf the White nor Galadriel are in play, use a Muster die to play Elrond in Rivendell.
· Healing Guidance – Remove 1 Corruption by using a Will of the West AND 1 Elven Ring.
· Elladan and Elrohir - Use an Action die And 1 Elven Ring to move an Elven unit (Regular or Elite) and an Elven Leader from Rivendell to the region with Strider/Aragorn.
· Wisdom of Elrond - National Action Tokens used for moving a nation one step down the political track are successful on 3-6 instead of 5-6.
· If Elrond AND Galadriel are in play, or have been in play, then the SP may muster the Mouth of Sauron with a Muster die. (only applicable with the expansion)
Tweaks for the Free Peoples
South Rhun - Treat South Rhun as a City giving worth 1 VP
Elrond - Healing in Rivendell is 2 corruption points instead of the normal 1.
Aragorn Healing - If the Fellowship is declared in a FP City or Stronghold where Aragorn, Heir to Isildur is also present then heal 2 corruption instead of normal 1.
Boromir, Legolas, Gimli improved Muster abilities - Instead of using any die as a Muster die to advance their respective nations use the following rule instead....If during the Fellowship phase one of these Companions is in a Stronghold or City of their respective Nation then advance that nation 1 step on the political track.
Witch King (Black Captain) – While the Witch King (Black Captain) is in play the Free Peoples player may use an Elven Ring to convert an Action die into a Will of the West. (limit of one use per turn of course).
Tweaks for the Shadow
Merry and Pippin not Great Generals - Merry and Pippin cannot move/attack with an army by using a Character Die.
I'll post my other expansion variants under the Twilight BGG entry.
*** Edited to clarify Grima's text ***
- [+] Dice rolls
- Dave J McWeaselyUnited States
Quote:Boromir, Legolas, Gimli improved Muster abilities - Instead of using any die as a Muster die to advance their respective nations use the following rule instead....If during the Fellowship phase one of these Companions is in a Stronghold or City of their respective Nation then advance that nation 1 step on the political track.Good idea.
- [+] Dice rolls