Subject: A few questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Griffey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Level 05 BGG posterMicrobadge: Geek RegularMicrobadge: Level 04 BGG posterMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!
I'm a new huckleberry, having just pre-ordered Cataclysm and begun reading the rules. It's rather slow going on the rules without the game components in hand. A playbook illustrating some sample turns would be nice.

As the game starts in 1933 and Mao's Long March from southeastern to northern China began the next year, and as the civil war in China was an interesting conflict between clients of the West and of the USSR, I'm a little disappointed that this will not be featured in the game. Also, in most WWII grand strategic games China gets little attention, because the front line was so static for most of the war. In a game with seasonal turns, nothing would change in China from turn to turn. But here, with biannual turns, China could be more dynamic. Also, there are too few points of USSR v West conflict in "Triumph and Tragedy," and I was hoping "Cataclysm" would trump T&T in that category.

With such an early start and wide lens on the period, I was hoping that the alliance system would be even more flexible. France, Italy. the Chinese nationalists and Japan could all have joined any one of the three major ideologies.

I was surprised to see victory based entirely on territorial changes. There were other considerations, such as worry over seeing cities bombed and national morale.

The chit pull system could probably easily accommodate some of these considerations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Pax Baltica fan - RussiaMicrobadge: Pax Baltica fan - SaxonyMicrobadge: Pax Baltica fan - DenmarkMicrobadge: Pax Baltica fan - PolandMicrobadge: Pax Baltica fan - Sweden
First, thank you for your preorder.

There is an entire section of the rules devoted to civil wars, and the Chinese Civil War in particular. It is a focus of Japanese and Soviet foreign policy in the game (though I will note that it was not a source of much Soviet/West conflict, in fact the Soviets did a lot to support the GMD).

As for whether France going Communist or Italy/Japan shedding their aggressive foreign ambitions, it would throw off the balance of the game and require far too much rules overhead to account for massive shifts like these, if they were even possible by 1933 (when all but France were recovering from the economic upheavals of the Great Depression). We do have scenarios designed or planned to explore different setups - one is in the game now, positing a fascist France and a constitutional Italy - so the system can handle different alignments, but not during a given game.

It's true that scoring is based on territory, but victory is not solely about scoring. National morale is in fact a huge part of the game, as measured by Stability. It doesn't matter how much territory a country controls, if its government collapses it is in a world of hurt and possibly out of the game.

Lastly, you can find AARs for Cataclysm here and on Consimworld, but for now you can see a full turn in detail at The Big Board: http://bigboardgaming.com/cataclysm_p1/#more-6500556792

Of course, not every "WW2" game is going to cover every detail (especially if it wants to be playable in a single session like Cataclysm) and each design team is going to decide what parts are most important to represent. We welcome questions like these, but please understand also that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, and we have put a lot of thought into what not to include.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Level 05 BGG posterMicrobadge: Geek RegularMicrobadge: Level 04 BGG posterMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!
Dear Scott,

Thank you. Your speedy reply augurs well for customer support for Cataclysm.

I will with relish dive into the sample turn illustrated in the hyperlink above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls